Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

My first sodbuster :) :thumbsup:

6haQO82.jpg

KjvIVG0.jpg
Looks like sourdough, and crusty enough that you could beat someone to death with it, my kind of bread! The knives are fab too and your 14yo daughter buys good gifts:)

Looks like sourdough, and crusty enough that you could beat someone to death with it, my kind of bread! The knives are fab too and your 14yo daughter buys good gifts:)

Thank you :)

The Case Ebony stockman is actually my gift and my sister’s gift to her ( we went half snd half).
The girl does have good taste :thumbsup: :)

I was a bit surprised when she approached me a few months ago telling me she wanted to start her traditional pocket knife collection ..... and her piano teacher was REALLY surprised when my daughter showed her the mini copperlock she got for her birthday a couple months ago :cool: :)

Oh yes, homemade sourdough :thumbsup: :)
The family demands it, will not settle for store bread anymore!

Decided I had to try one ;) I'm not a fan of metal scaled knives, they don't feel too good in the hand in my opinion but this is an iconic knife in knife history. The exact history is not known to me but in essence the Mercator was a simple work-knife dating back to the 1860s before Germany unified. Later on in the Great War, Imperial German troops during Kaiser Wilhelm II era favoured carrying these simple knives both in spring-back and lockback form, they were not official issue but the knives soldiers bought. They were steel handled, painted and carbon etc. Later on with the aftermath & devastation of the Second World War and re-drawing of boundaries, the Mercator continued in production. I believe it was favoured by American troops stationed in the then West Germany and exports to the US began, it was best known as the Black Cat or Cat knife due to its colour and logo of a cat on its handle.

Here, it bears the stamp of Otter Messer an old mark showing an Otter with a fish in its paws, very nice image and an Otter is an animal I would love to see in the wild. These knives are available in a number of finishes - steel handles, Brass or as shown here, Copper. You can opt for stainless or carbon blades and a springbuck non locking form.

Impressions: It's a lot bigger than I envisaged ;) at 10.5 cm /4.25 " plus bail around 2.5cm/ 1" at the broadest but an ultra slim 5 mm. The fit and finish are extremely good indeed, having a metal handle you might expect crudeness or rough edges, not at all! Pins are smooth and domed, the end spring covering nice and flush with the liners and cut off cleanly. No blade play at all in any direction, the blade opens out totally straight with no cant, extremely sharp and good bevels, the lock itself is quite stiff but I favour that and oil will loosen it. There was no crud or polish compound anywhere in the knife, the stampings of the Otter and MERCATOR GERMANY are all totally clean with no rough aspects. The Copper itself really is beautifully finished and no doubt will patina interestingly or be kept clean as you like.

Sum up. Not really a pocket knife due to its length and bail, however, that is not its intention. Would make an excellent hiking or camping knife, hung from belt or pack and if you choose the stainless it will be very good for food prep, dressing game or fish and certainly big&strong enough to make fire curls etc. Due to its relative light weight it will be unobtrusive hung from the belt or pack and feels very safe and secure in lockup. Nice to have something different with a long pedigree and really well turned out.

7TO7Xqy.jpg

What do you think? I have one, and it's a great knife and super sharp.:thumbsup: Like the scales on yours.:p:cool::thumbsup:

Been very pleased with my Chestnut Bone Sodbuster, I neglected it for years, why??? Nearly gave it away (deranged ;)) then rediscovered it this autumn and really glad I did.

I am very very happy so far with mine :thumbsup: :)
I don't know why it took me so long to get one.
I am drawn to the simpler, one blade, "working man" knives and the history behind them. That's why I love my lambsfoot and opinels :thumbsup:
I think the sodbuster will be a perfect compliment to a straight edge knife like my lambsfoot or our BF 2020 knife :thumbsup:

Who knows.... this chestnut bone soddie may be my KOTY for 2021 :)

S7IKu2P.jpg

A Kent Sportsman arrived in the mail early this week, just got around to photographing it yesterday. I am on an old hunting knife kick of late, adding a few examples of styles I don’t have. This one is just right for that accumulation, nice enough to represent its class, but worn enough to take hunting and put to use sometime. OH
Kent-Sportsman.jpg

Decided I had to try one ;) I'm not a fan of metal scaled knives, they don't feel too good in the hand in my opinion but this is an iconic knife in knife history. The exact history is not known to me but in essence the Mercator was a simple work-knife dating back to the 1860s before Germany unified. Later on in the Great War, Imperial German troops during Kaiser Wilhelm II era favoured carrying these simple knives both in spring-back and lockback form, they were not official issue but the knives soldiers bought. They were steel handled, painted and carbon etc. Later on with the aftermath & devastation of the Second World War and re-drawing of boundaries, the Mercator continued in production. I believe it was favoured by American troops stationed in the then West Germany and exports to the US began, it was best known as the Black Cat or Cat knife due to its colour and logo of a cat on its handle.

Here, it bears the stamp of Otter Messer an old mark showing an Otter with a fish in its paws, very nice image and an Otter is an animal I would love to see in the wild. These knives are available in a number of finishes - steel handles, Brass or as shown here, Copper. You can opt for stainless or carbon blades and a springbuck non locking form.

Impressions: It's a lot bigger than I envisaged ;) at 10.5 cm /4.25 " plus bail around 2.5cm/ 1" at the broadest but an ultra slim 5 mm. The fit and finish are extremely good indeed, having a metal handle you might expect crudeness or rough edges, not at all! Pins are smooth and domed, the end spring covering nice and flush with the liners and cut off cleanly. No blade play at all in any direction, the blade opens out totally straight with no cant, extremely sharp and good bevels, the lock itself is quite stiff but I favour that and oil will loosen it. There was no crud or polish compound anywhere in the knife, the stampings of the Otter and MERCATOR GERMANY are all totally clean with no rough aspects. The Copper itself really is beautifully finished and no doubt will patina interestingly or be kept clean as you like.

Sum up. Not really a pocket knife due to its length and bail, however, that is not its intention. Would make an excellent hiking or camping knife, hung from belt or pack and if you choose the stainless it will be very good for food prep, dressing game or fish and certainly big&strong enough to make fire curls etc. Due to its relative light weight it will be unobtrusive hung from the belt or pack and feels very safe and secure in lockup. Nice to have something different with a long pedigree and really well turned out.

7TO7Xqy.jpg
That’s a good looking knife, I’ve come close to getting either a copper or brass myself. Probably will soon enough. I’m just obsessed with those classic working knives; Mercator, Douk-Douk, Okapi, Opinel etc.
I don’t actually favor them in my pocket or in use, but they have that special charm that makes them completely unique and hard to resist.

That’s a good looking knife, I’ve come close to getting either a copper or brass myself. Probably will soon enough. I’m just obsessed with those classic working knives; Mercator, Douk-Douk, Okapi, Opinel etc.
I don’t actually favor them in my pocket or in use, but they have that special charm that makes them completely unique and hard to resist.

Tend to agree, but that's the essence of knife-mania isn't it? ;):cool:

I saw this knife and it just screamed, "buy me". While I am not always a fan of Case's 6.5 Bone Stag, I think it works here with this lighter treatment. Love the shield. Love the patina. Centering is dead on and the liners are gapless. Did I mention CV? Just about perfect build. Couldn't be happier.

65-sway-back.jpg

One more recent acquisition. While this may not be what everyone thinks of as a "traditional knife", woodworkers have been using marking knives for hundreds of years. This example, in ebony and brass, was made by a local (Northeast Ohio) Amish knife maker. It's around six inches long and has some real heft. Fits in the hand like a pencil or pen for marking but can also be held in the palm for a carving type motion to clean-up the insides of dovetail joints etc. Very robust. The tool steel takes a nice edge. A beautiful tool.

marking-knife.jpg

John, very nice example of (as far as I know) the last Junior Cattle Knife in regular production by any knife maker. Had one, used it as a GAW here a few years back, may need to acquire another!
Thank you, I'm enjoying it. :cool::thumbsup:
I got it off the exchange at a super reasonable price. Looks like he has a couple of them left, you might want to check on page three.

Yesterday I used some holiday rewards to get a camo Case caliber lockback for free, but I already ended up gifting it to someone who liked it more than I did.
I had it in my pocket for about 5 minutes, but I had really only got it because there was nothing else I wanted.

It was a nice little knife for the money though.

This Case Canoe showed up yesterday - better late than never. I prefer the pile side cover but overall I think it's a nice looking knife. Fit and finish are pretty darn good, pulls are lightish (<5) but it does snap closed and I like being able to pinch open the main. No wobble, rub, gaps in the liners or springs, etc.

This will definitely get some pocket time.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with my first Case Knife in a while and my first Canoe pattern from any maker. The fact that the distributor had it on sale for $36 made it a no brainer!

uhiMJzw.jpg

5Fuh9We.jpg

From a couple of antique malls in Holland Michigan.
3imkFnp.jpg

The small carving set is LF&C. The larger one had an etch that has been almost completely scoured off. There might be enough to recognize it if I have an intact one of the same brand.
The butcher/slicer is unmarked, and I have some of these, but it was $3, and it's all there.
The little stockman is a Kabar, and the packing hammer/prybar isn't a knife, but it is a new addition.

Newest addition for me isn't a knife, but to help me with some of my traditional knives. Finally able to snag a few simple blade openers while they were in stock. As I age, some of the knives with stiffer backsprings aren't so easy to open. (If this shouldn't be posted here, I'll be happy to move it/ remove it.)
original.jpg

Back