Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dice

• Michael Burch Chubby

• Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade

• Total voters
Fundamentally I know that it's wrong to judge a book by its cover, but there are a few models this year that left me scratching my head and wondering "what the heck were they thinking?"

Namely the ROC, the Battle Station, the Introvert, and the Frontier.

I wonder why Spyderco chose to roll these models out. Did someone lose a bet?

Honestly, I wish that they would reintroduce the C15 Terzuola folder. Give it the "Starmate treatment"; I don't care which steel, don't care if it's made in Golden, Japan, or Taiwan. Just bring it back to production for one year, let me buy 5 of them, and then they can get back to all of the fantasy-looking, miniature frame lock-having, and otherwise-too-small-for-my-hands fringe stuff that they came up with this year.

-nate

But don't get me wrong. I think that the Slysz Bowie is an instant classic.
The Bradley fixed blade looks awesome, and the Mike Draper folder has the unique Spyderco charm that makes for a great EDC and utility knife.

Overall, not a bad year per-se, but some real head scratchers were thrown in the mix along with some really really great ones.

-nate

Slysz Bowie for sure
Tatanka and Worker have my attention too..
Maybe the Bradley fixed blade...I like the looks of it, but am pretty good on fixed blades at the moment.

1) Mike Read PITS - a beauty and perfect EDC size

2) Farid Mehr K2 - a new classic (needs a bigger spydie hole though)

3) Mike Draper - Don't care for the graphic (is that Spyderco sacrilege?) but great lines and lots of blade.

4) Native 5 Lightweight - Like Spyderco comfort food - simply a good one.

EDIT 5) Though it could be # 1 - as I study these more - the Slysz Bowie - I like everything about it.

Last edited:
ARK-This will hold me over until the Ronin2 comes out
Chubby-I Have a BM 755 and I love little big knives so I want to see how this compares
Bowie-C'mon, its a must have
Dice-again I'm a small blade lover, and the Domino rules, so...

Slysz bowie and kiwi 4 for me. On the fence with some of the others but I am really digging these two.

My picks are the three titanium frame locks in various sizes and shapes: Michael Burch Chubby, Slysz Bowie and Farid Mehr K2.

Additionally, Peter Carey Rubicon and Mike Read PITS for EDC.

So are all these going to be actual releases for this year? I'm not even a fan of Spyderco knives but it looks like this time they are actually not focused on making butt ugly knives. I like most of this new line up! Sign me up for a Roc and a Battlestation!

The Production Samples (see list below) are the ones we should hopefully see within months. Production Prototypes & Concept Models could be anytime, if at all and specs could change.

1. Worker G-10 (Production Sample)
  2. Tatanka (Production Sample)
  3. Spy-DK (Production Sample)
  4. Brad Southard flipper in All-Black (Production Sample)
  5. Peter Carey Rubicon (Production Sample)
  6. Lum Tanto Sprint (Production Sample)
  7. Native 5 Lightweight (Production Sample)
  8. Mike Draper (Production Sample)
  9. Peter Carey Firefly (Production Sample)
  10. Endura Ti / Damascus (Production Sample)
  11. Dragonfly Super Blue (Production Sample)
  12. Alex Diaconescu Battlestation (Production Sample)

Last edited:
Rubicon, Firefly, and the new Kiwi.

I regret getting rid of my old honey jigged bone Kiwi. Definitely need a replacement.

K2, lil lionspy, slysz Bowie, all have my attention. But a definite acquisition is the tatanka

Native, kiwi and tatanka are definite pickups.
Definitely some odd looking knives in the mix. And some gorgeous knives too but disappointed to see a shortage of ambi options. How about some more CBBLs?

Rubicon looks most interesting out of new products. I like Tatanka, but it is enormous.
Most likely will buy sprints of Worker and Lum Tanto

There are several I want, but I'll probably hang onto the Slysz Bowie. Time will tell though!

ARK-This will hold me over until the Ronin2 comes out
Chubby-I Have a BM 755 and I love little big knives so I want to see how this compares
Bowie-C'mon, its a must have
Dice-again I'm a small blade lover, and the Domino rules, so...

.... Great minds think alike!!:thumbup:

The two absolutes at the moment are the Rubicon and the Frontier.

As always, others will work their way into my collection.

Does mean we will not see the Rubicon this year?

That's a good question and hopefully Sal can answer that.

If the Peter Carey Rubicon shown at the Amsterdam Meet was indeed a Production Sample and not a Production Prototype then hopefully we'll see it much sooner...

Most of the other Production Samples listed actually appeared in the Spyderco 2014 Product Guide. The exceptions are: Spy-DK and Endura Ti / Damascus.

I just wish I could afford all the ones that I want out of this bunch. I have had to put them in order of preference and sadly I'll run out of money after the first several.
The Slyz Bowie is a must. Can you say Sebenza-killer?
Second is the Dogtag knife, two or three of those for sure. Ti, and premium steel in a new/unique package, gotta have it.
Third is the Chubby. I EDC a Techno now, this would give me an alternate daily choice.

After those three, it gets harder because the budget for the year will be spent. still I continue...

The ARK. First truly interesting neck knife I've seen in awhile. (H1 steel)
The K2. It looks a little large for my taste, but will it ever really need to be sharpened?
Rubicon. It appeals to the kid inside me. Looks like a knife a Klingon would use.

That still leaves the little lionspy, pits, and the introvert. I know the introvert looks weird, if it works in use, it would be a fun one to pull out just for the reaction.

Grizz

Back