1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

your preferred sharpening method for CPK

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by morvlorv, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    What a great thread. I will be getting my first CPK today! A EDC2. I am sure I will not have to sharpen it soon but love sharpening all the knives I have. I will be using a WE so if anyone had advice please let me know.

gusbuster, Oyster, morvlorv and 2 others like this.
  2. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    Nathans edges are quite amazing and after a year of use, Ive only had to strop em, and after that I use my Wicked Edge to match his original edge, but just to make it “toothier”.

I only go 600 grit then I strop it on leather, and its hair poppin again:)

His knives sharpen up in less time than any Ive tried on my W.E. because his original edge and symmetry is so good from the start.:)
    Use the sharpie and do a few test swipes with a medium grit to adjust placement before committing to the rough grit.
    I just did my D2 edc1 and it took only 12 minutes from set up to clean up.

I spent 6 hours on a Ratmandu once, thats the longest Ive spent to fix an edge ever.

But I would practice on at least 10 different sized knives before putting his master piece in your W.E. If you’re new at it.

gusbuster, Oyster, 91bravo and 2 others like this.
  3. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks so much. Great information. I will be careful but have had the WE now for about 5 years. Still need to go slow on a knife of such quality.

gusbuster, Oyster, azwelke and 2 others like this.
  4. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    @azwelke with a good stone even a comparably obtuse knife can be taken down in less than 30 min. If you reprofiled the blade with only a 600 grit stone you may consider going down to 100 or so grit equivalency with a diamond stone or auto sandpaper. I am not contradicting your experience, however the 6 hr edge fix on a Ratmandu is an issue of method and not edge thickness.

gusbuster, Oyster and WValtakis like this.
  5. azwelke

Nov 12, 2007
    It was a 100 grit

CataD likes this.
  6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    in response to this thread, I posted a video here
    like in most things, I'm no expert, but I do know my way around an edge somewhat, so take all that for what it's worth :)

Oyster and Odog27 like this.
  7. azwelke

Nov 12, 2007
    You didn’t see the RMD :p

gusbuster, Odog27 and stjones like this.
  8. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Sounds like an issue for Garth and Saint Peter to work out on judgement day.

gusbuster, Odog27 and azwelke like this.
  9. ElCaptain

ElCaptain Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2011
    Wow I had no idea. You guys that are heavy 3v users.. are diamond stones pretty much required?

10. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    No

gusbuster, stjones and Odog27 like this.
  11. ElCaptain

May 1, 2011
    If you are able to, I would love to hear your thoughts. Delta 3v is obviously very hard. It would make sense (in my mind) that you would need an extremely hard substance (diamond) to sharpen it properly.

12. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
  13. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Hardness and wear resistance are different properties. Any good stone can sharpen 3v perfectly well. The issue discussed previously is a specific shortcoming of variable grit buffing compound or rouge and not traditional stones. Even then I'm not convinced it's a big deal.

gusbuster, Oyster, ElCaptain and 2 others like this.
  14. Lost Empires

Lost Empires Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2018
    I've only stropped my edc2 and my hdfk. Haven't had any problems yet. Can't wait to add a fk2 to the collection!!

Odog27 likes this.
  15. morvlorv

morvlorv Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Where do you guys typically get your strop paste?

Oyster likes this.
  16. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    D3V is easy and enjoyable to sharpen. If you've ever sharpened a properly hardened carbon steel knife, D3V isn't different
    highly alloyed materials like elmax, S90V etc are of a different category, in my experience, that require more work to get sharpness back

gusbuster, Odog27 and ElCaptain like this.
  17. Lost Empires

Lost Empires Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2018
    I bought my strop and compound from knives ship free. I use the bark river stuff.

Odog27 likes this.
  18. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    here's what I use;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    ^makes me feel better about being a diafold user. Haven’t taken the plunge into the fancier/pricier sharpening systems.
    Works for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  20. ElCaptain

May 1, 2011
    Thanks guys.

Odog27 and Panthera tigris like this.