Fire Making Your techniques for fires in wet weather

... I see the multi-fuel capabilities as a great emergency situation option. You didn't bring enough fuel and are about to starve? Good think you brought a flask of vodka, pour that in there etc.

Beware!!! Last time I checked, there is no oring material that windstands both hidrocarbons (white gas, diesel, kerosene, etc) AND alcohol at the same time!!! If you put alcohol in your MSR Dragonfly you will probably ruin all the sealing materials... The instructions on the multifuel stoves warn about this isue.

So better drink the vodka instead! 😆 😆

Beware!!! Last time I checked, there is no oring material that windstands both hidrocarbons (white gas, diesel, kerosene, etc) AND alcohol at the same time!!! If you put alcohol in your MSR Dragonfly you will probably ruin all the sealing materials... The instructions on the multifuel stoves warn about this isue.

So better drink the vodka instead! 😆 😆

Foiled again! I'm going to be pretty drunk next time I set myself partially on fire under controlled conditions.🤪

I get that pouring vodka in a Dragonfly is a joke. Everyone knows that 80-proof won't burn. That said, in case anyone is wondering what happens if you do try to run alcohol in that sort of stove, I'm pretty sure it would go very badly. If I had the money, I'd test all the bad hiking advice in a "wilderness mythbusters" style, but blowing up gear when I'm paying import prices is a bit too much. It'd be fun as hell though!

Back in '87 I had to attend survival class that was held on an island west of Sitka, AK.

It was late October when we were dropped off by a helo. Of course it was raining sideways and then we were hit by a huge storm that lasted for 24hrs.

Muskeg and standing water. Our barraba was built with branches and muskeg pieces. It ended up collapsing on us from 80kt winds.

I'll say that the magnesium fire starter saved our bacon when the winds subsided. We could only carry what our normal survival gear issue (we were physically searched before we left).

It sucked big time and I augmented additional gear in my flight coveralls after that experience.

Back