Your thoughts please

This is a Kabar rehandle. Customer only requested that it be durable and reflect my own artistry. The guard is black G10. Followed down the handle with Tasmanian Blackwood, a G10 spacer, black Terotuf and a titanium pin.
Please be honest and critical, I'd like all opions, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Looks pretty good, but I don’t like the upsweep/thumb ramp on the spine near the guard...
I do like the mix of modern and traditional tech though!

Looks pretty good, but I don’t like the upsweep/thumb ramp on the spine near the guard...

I'm actually disliking it myself. It may come off as the project is not finished...

I completely agree .... you did an excellent job, especially the profiling of the handle :thumbsup:

I agree with what was said above. I think a guard that extends both directions (past the spine) only looks nice with a washer style guard where the handle isn't curved into it. I would grind it flush to the spine.

The work looks very good, but I'm not fond of the material combination the way it is and the shape of the handle and guard. Very tight work otherwise.

I should add the reason for my materials choice. This is a matched pair of Kabar blades, one stamped Marines, the other Army. The customer wants these as one for himself, Army, and one for his father, Marines. Thus the choice of traditional and modern materials.

looks pretty good, that pin set far back is bothering me :)
it's making things look unbalanced for me.

regards

looks pretty good, that pin set far back is bothering me :)
it's making things look unbalanced for me.

regards

I agree. Its in that location due to that is where the hole already was in the tang. It was already hardened and I didn't have a carbide bit and I wasn't comfortable annealing the tang. Customer did want this to be a user so I opted for a pin as opposed to not having one. I'm not happy with its location but felt the need for it.

Last edited:
The camera angle may be exaggerating some things. Can you post a flat profile picture so we can get a better sense of the lines and proportions?

It looks well made but I don't like the combination of the materials.
It doesn't seen 'right' for me

I'll add another picture or two when I can untape the blade. They are currently drying after finish was applied to the Blackwood.

I like it, but I was hoping you would have kept a pummel as a nod to the original knife, but with modern handle material.

It doesn't appeal to me. The various ingredients don't match well at all. And, there is something in the shape ( I think the butt) that is off putting.

Back