Your thoughts please

The terotuf doesn’t go with the rest of the materials and I don’t like how bulbish(for lack of a better term) the butt end looks. The fit of everything looks great! Craftsmanship appears excellent.

I think if you made the guard symmetrical(so it guards both sides), and made the whole handle more symmetrical and used the wood only, an then did a black g10 pommel it would look grate. The wood has the stacked leather look with a really nice in the hand feeling.

But if the customer wanted a different look that may defeat the purpose.

gunfixrjoe gunfixrjoe

I would have probably reversed the material proportions. I think the curly tasmanian does a really nice job evoking the stacked leather of a classic K-bar. Weather the synthetic was needed, im not sure. A two part handle with a guard is iffy.

I think the issue people are having with the guard is at the front of the knife, you have a beautifully flowing curve, from the guard, to the first swell and then as it tapers towards the back the curve becomes much less clean. I like to use a set of french curves to make sure the curvature looks consistent.

I think the reason it looks so out of place is that you have excellent curves in the front and so so in the back. Think of it as a knife handle mullet.

I would look at some of Nick Wheeler's work or perhaps Robert Erickson and Erik Carlson. Nick of course has really fancy bowies, but he is really a master of elegant multi part curves. Robert and Erik both have somewhat simpler styles "No offence to either of them, I think most knives are simple compared to nick wheeler" But both have a pretty nice handle flow.

I definitely see what all are saying but really not sure there is enough material left to modify it......

Thinking I may flatten/square off the butt in attempt to make this more visually appealing.

That will definitely help, you will likely need it take a little of the Palm swell out of the handle as well once you modify the butt. Post pics when you get done!

This is a Kabar rehandle. Customer only requested that it be durable and reflect my own artistry. The guard is black G10. Followed down the handle with Tasmanian Blackwood, a G10 spacer, black Terotuf and a titanium pin.
Please be honest and critical, I'd like all opions, good or bad. Thanks in advance.
two basic things, the colors don't work and you force my hand in the grip. the fit and finish is excellent.
I also wish you would use your real name. I could care less if you fix guns or grinders. me, I am an old sailor, glad to be home from the sea.
of the hundred, it is the responsibility of the warrior to motivate the nine so they can lead the remaining ninety, complete the mission and everyone gets home.
Scott AT1 USN Ret.

Now that shape I like very much. I still don't care for the darker G10 guard and spacer, but with the shape you have there I'd be more than pleased with it. What's catching my eye I believe is the old don't wear a brown belt with black shoes or vise versa. It looks like it would be very comfortable to hold.

It does feel good in my hand with either handle shape. I did have to leave them a little long and large as both go to men with larger hands

How does it feel on hand? Main concern would be that it ends up being far to blade heavy.

These are thin, lghtweight blades, at least to my perception. Compared to their length anyway. Also the handle materials seem dense, balancing out the blade weight/length. When I get back in my shop this evening, I'll check the balance point on both......

two basic things, the colors don't work and you force my hand in the grip. the fit and finish is excellent.
I also wish you would use your real name. I could care less if you fix guns or grinders. me, I am an old sailor, glad to be home from the sea.
of the hundred, it is the responsibility of the warrior to motivate the nine so they can lead the remaining ninety, complete the mission and everyone gets home.
Scott AT1 USN Ret.

In reference to my forum name, those that need to know my real name, already do. I do this as a hobby for now and rarely disclose my personal information, for my own reasons that I don't care to explain. As for my signature line about the warrior, while I completely agree with your statement, Scott, the line is an excerpt from something my father read. He sent it to me adding, "This makes me think of my son", aka me. I am honored that he feels this way about me and I feel like sharing the excerpt with others.

Scott, thank you for your service.

Hopefully we can now stay on the subject of these knives, as that is reason for this thread in the first place.

Much better picture. The whole design and material combination makes more sense now. It is interesting how the ringed Gidgee looks like stacked leather. I will keep that in mind for the future.

That is Tasmanian blackwood..... Stabilized and beautiful

Back