Zeiss 5X10 T* MiniQuick Monocular

I have read some posts recently about this gadget and it looks really neat. I do not know all that much about binoculars/monoculars, but the Miniquick really intrigues me so I would appreciate any information about it.

How well does it work? Is it worth the money? Are there better ones? Are the people who have it happy with it? What are the pros and cons of it?

I would appreciate any comments from people who either have the Miniquick and/or have knowledge about it.

Any places to purchase that are recommended as far as service and price?

Also, does anyone have the leather pouch that comes with some of them?

Many thanks,

Bucky

[This message has been edited by Bucky (edited 03-20-2001).]

Thanks for the reply Esav Benyamin. I did an internet search on Yahoo and on Google and found the same ad (and many more). Although that site seems to have about the lowest price, it does not seem to include the leather pouch that is offered on some sites and usually adds about $10 to the price.

I also did a search on the G&G forum here, but did not turn up much about the Zeiss Miniquick except a few people mentioning it as a neat gadget. I was just hoping to get some more general insight on it so I can decide whether I need to have one or whether I should spend my money on something else. The MiniQuick looks really nice, but at near $100 I was hoping to get some more info. from people that have them before I follow suit
smile.gif

Bucky

Bucky

I don't have the Zeiss but do use a Steiner
mini-monocular, 8x22. This is a neat little scope that folds and fits easily in a pocket.
We use it as a mini-spotting scope and I've
taken to carrying mine in my attache.

I would rather carry binos but they are too
bulky for my needs. I do keep 7x50 Steiners
on my boat and they've been flawless for over
13 years.

Win

I have an old Pentax 8x20 monocular that converts to a microscope. I like it, but it is a bit bulky. I am also looking at the Zeiss and plan to order one in April. Who ever gets one first post a short test drive about it.

Monoculars interest me. I researched the Zeiss but decided on a Nikon. I've never had a Zeiss and they are supposed to be legendary. Neither the Zeiss or my Nikon are waterproof. My Nikon costs over twice as much as the Zeiss but I love it.

The objective (big) lens determines how much light gets to your eye. The Nikon has a 50% bigger, 15mm objective lens, the Zeiss has a 10 mm objective.

The Nikon is so short, 2.8 inches, you can conceal it in one hand. This is big if you want to remain undetected. The Zeiss is 4.4 inches long.

The Nikon will focus on an object 2 feet away. This is handy when a bird, snake, butterfly, etc. lands near you. The Zeiss minimum focus distance is 12 feet.

The Nikon also comes in a 7 power.

You may be able to find the Nikon cheaper, but here is one source:

http://www01.bhphotovideo.c om/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___1025___165008___NI5X15M___USA___SID=E594ED83320

The Zeiss is tremendously more inexpensive.
Either way enjoy.

bug

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 03-20-2001).]

I know we all like top shelf but some of these toys may be expensive all out of proportion to their intended use. I've got good optics for serious work, but I picked up a 10x25 monocular from Brigade Quartermasters and it travels in my parka pocket or stores in my backpack.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/results.tam?rlk=9800414

ALPEN™ 10x25mm MONOCULAR VIEWER $17.99

4.5 x 1"
rubber-armored
neck lanyard and nylon pouch

They also carry

CARSON™ MICRO 6X MONOCULAR $24.99

"The smallest full-featured monocular in the world!" Probably slightly better optics but I went for the 10x.

I actually own the Zeiss 5x10. I've had it for over a year and I really love it! The small objective does limit its use with marginal lighting, but under most circumstances it produces a surprisingly good view. It has proven to be tough, reliable, and usable.

Incidentally, I also have a 10x25 monocular. It does a nice job, but I it is just too big for me to carry around casually. The Zeiss goes everywhere with me.

--Bob Q

Bob says, "The Zeiss goes everywhere with me." That is crucial. I have binoculars much more expensive than my $180 Nikon monocular...but they don't go with me.

I have an expensive 8 x 30 Pentax monocular that, like Copfishe's, doubles as a microscope. It doesn't go with me. It is too big. The heart of a monocular is small size. Otherwise binoculars are better.

Tasco makes a 8x21 mm monocular. The optics are not sharp. Mine doesn't go with me. Bob says the Zeiss optics produce, "... a surprisingly good view."

Zeiss makes other monoculars. See here:

http://store.yahoo.com/eagleoptics/zeismon.html

Sharp optics, the fact that they go everywhere with Bob, that he has tested them for over a year, and the unheard of low price for legendary Zeiss quality suggest to me that you would be happy with the Zeiss Bucky.

bug

Of course don't ignore the fact that, for the moment, Bob has that legendary number of posts - 194.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 03-21-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bug:
Tasco makes a 8x21 mm monocular. The optics are not sharp. Mine doesn't go with me. Bob says the Zeiss optics produce, "... a surprisingly good view."</font>

And I should probably explain that comment. When I bought the Zeiss I had been trying out a *lot* of monoculars. The first time I put the Zeiss to my eye I nearly fell over from the difference. Unlike the others, the Zeiss provided no awareness of looking through an optical instrument. It was breathtaking.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Of course don't ignore the fact that Bob has that legendary number of posts - 194.
wink.gif
</font>

It took me a moment to figure out what you meant, but . . . that *is* funny!
biggrin.gif

--Bob Q

[This message has been edited by bquinlan (edited 03-21-2001).]

Optics is a fascinating field of study. There's a quick easy optical formula that's very useful in helping to determine a scope's (or binos', for that matter) low light performance. Many of you are probably already familiar with this calculation, but for the benefit of those who aren't, all you have to do is divide the diameter of the objective lens (that would be the big lens furthest from your eye) by the magnification of the unit to get the size of the exit pupil (the diameter of the column of light that exits the ocular lens closest to your eye).

Take a pair of 7x42 binos as an example. Divide the diameter of the objective lens in millimeters(42) by the magnification (7) and you get a figure of 6. This means that for this pair of binos there is a 6mm column of light that passes through the ocular lens and is available to enter the eye. In bright daylight conditions most peoples' irises contract down to about 2mm, so a 6mm column of light is more than adequate to provide a bright image. This also means that, due to the overlap, your eye doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with the ocular lens to get a useful image (a situation which helps to reduce eye fatigue).

At night, or in low light conditions, the human iris can open up to a diameter of 8mm or more. So while a pair of 7x42 binos is still able to provide the same 6mm column of light to the eye, this is less light than the eye is able to accomodate. Therefore if low light performance is critical to you, a pair of 7x50 binos (with a 7mm exit pupil) might be a better choice. The difference between a 6mm exit pupil and a 7mm exit pupil doesn't seem like much until you consider that the latter transmits well over 25% more light. Of course, all other things being equal, the 7x50s will be both heavier and more expensive than the 7x42s.

AAA Camera in NY certainly has some good prices and generally good service, but I would recommend using a method of ordering that provides a written record of exactly what you ordered (i.e. fax or online). They sometimes get confused, send the wrong thing, and then want to charge you a "restocking" fee for the returned item. Also be specific about whether you want a gray market or U.S. warranty item.

B&H, on the other hand, is extremely trustworthy in my experience.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

You can also add a eyepiece w/ lens to the back of a camera lens and use it as a telescope. I saw one made of a rear lens cover and microscope eyepiece, but everything was upside down, as I recall.

A commercial version was offered which did not have that problem. I recall trying to order one from Cambridge Camera, but at the time they were out of ones that fit on a Nikon lens.

This was several years ago. Does anyone know anything about these; or have a web link to a source(s)?

Thanks for the info. Bronco
smile.gif
. I am relatively uninformed when it comes to binoculars and other optics. I greatly appreciate your explanation as well as all the other responses
smile.gif

BTW, does that mean that the Zeiss MinQuick with a 2mm column of light would present serious problems when attempting to view objects in low light? Can anyone who has a MiniQuick comment on their experience with low-light viewing?

Thanks all,

Bucky

Bucky,
I agree with everything Bob said. I have tried almost all the small monoculars out there and I was pretty thrilled the first time I looked through this Zeiss. I too have had mine for over a year. It is so small and light, it is the one you will CARRY. I can only give you my "real life" observation and I am quite pleased with it's low light performance. Just keep in mind the limitations of tiny scopes. Also, I wear glasses and you don't find many tiny scopes that work well with them. This one does. It's a bargain for the money.

I would rate the low-light performance of the Zeiss as adequate. Considering the size of the objective and the magnification it does better than I would have expected. I can only credit the high transmission qualities of the optics for making the most of what light is available.

If you expect to be viewing in low-light on a regular basis you really should get something with a larger objective. For general use, however, I think the Zeiss is a great compromise.

--Bob Q

Bucky,
I'm glad you were able to find some parts of that ramble useful.
smile.gif
It really is a simple formula once you get the hang of it, and it applies equally to binoculars, rifle scopes, spotting scopes and the like.

Bob pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the low light performance of these pocket monoculars. Simply due to the physical limitations of the relatively small objective lens, low light performance in these units will be marginal at best. But, as Bob alluded to, the high tech, high quality lens coatings used by Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Leupold and others, help to ensure that as much light as possible will be transmitted through the lenses to fill up that available 2mm column.

For the ultimate in (non-NVG) low light performance, nothing beats a good pair of binos. Monoculars such as we've been discussing were never really intended to excel in this area. Still, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the beauty of these monoculars is that they're small and unobtrusive, and so it goes that the Zeiss 5x10 in your pocket will be more useful to you than the big bulky binos you left at home in the closet because you didn't feel like lugging them around.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Thanks again to everyone for all the great responses.

Does anyone have the leather pouch that is offered on the Miniquick? I was thinking about getting the leather pouch to store it in/wear on my belt. Any impressions regarding the pouch?

Hopefully, I will be able to get a Miniquick rather soon. I am now very intrigued and can't wait to get one.

Thanks again all
smile.gif

Bucky

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bucky:
Does anyone have the leather pouch that is offered on the Miniquick?</font>

I didn't know there was one, but I wish I had one.
smile.gif
If you find a source for them would you please pass it along?

--Bob Q

Having grown up in NY, AAA Camera sounds like one of the many foreign-owned camera and electronics ripoff joints that dot the NYC landscape. I may be completely wrong, but here's another site that has the Zeiss for $80 that looks more trustworthy to me:

http://www.opticgear.com/zeiss.htm

Update:
The site that bug mentioned above (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) has the Miniquick for $79.95 plain, $83.95 with a lanyard, and $89.95 with what looks like a leather pouch. They also sell the pouch by itself for $9.95.

[This message has been edited by craigz (edited 03-28-2001).]

I contacted Zeiss customer service several months ago because I wondered why my Miniquick didn't come with a case. They said the very first ones were shipped with cases but they installed the pocket clips on the later ones in lieu of a case. They said the Miniquick was completely water and dust proof and really didn't need a case but they were still offering them as an accessory. Mine has the pocket clip and I really like it. I have used mine in the rain and snow and really see no use for a case. The clip is handy because the MQ is so small it's like a pen. It's all a matter of personal preference though.

Back