Zeiss 5X10 T* MiniQuick Monocular

craigz,
Describing AAA Camera as strictly a "rip off joint" might be a little bit on the harsh side, but your concerns are warranted, and as I mentioned before, I highly recommend maintaining copious written records of any transaction, as well as being very specific about what you're ordering. BTW, AAA and Cambridge are sister operations that share some of the same personnel. B&H is 100% above board in my experience.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Well, just to make things clear, I only said that it sounds like a ripoff joint. I have no direct experience with AAA, and I was trying to give a New Yorker's perspective on a common type of Manhattan store that often indulges in suspect business practices.

B&H does indeed sound like a trustworthy business. I ordered the Zeiss Miniquick from their site at 1:45 am this morning, and received an email at noon stating that my order had been shipped. Pretty good service, eh?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">B&H does indeed sound like a trustworthy business.</font>

Just to confirm, B&H is indeed an honest-to-goodness business with a large storefront at 34th Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan. It's a huge store, and pretty efficiently run as well.

/mel

craigz,

Make sure to post how your transaction goes with B&H and how you like the Miniquick. If everything goes well, I may have to follow suit
smile.gif

Also, am I correct in assuming that it is EITHER the pocket clip OR the leather case that comes with the MiniQuick - not both?

Thanks again all,

Bucky

[This message has been edited by Bucky (edited 03-28-2001).]

craigz,
I knew what you were saying, and I apologize if I appeared to put words in your mouth.
smile.gif

A word of caution regarding AAA is definitely warranted, but in all fairness I have ordered items from them in the past and received good service (just not all the time). Occasionally they have killer deals that nobody else can touch.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

To follow Bronco’s formula for "exit pupil", let me tell you about "relative brightness", which is also useful in determining low light performance. Divide the diameter of the forward objective by the square of the magnification to get the relative brightness. This is the ratio between the amount of light available through the optic compared to the naked eye.

Take 7 x 42 as an example. Divide the 42 millimeter forward objective by 49 (7 times the 7 power magnification) to get 0.8571. This means that for this optic, about 85% of the natural light is still available as it enters the eye.

Take 5 x 10 as an example. Divide the 10 millimeter forward objective by 25 (5 times the 5 power magnification) to get 0.4. This means that for this optic, 40% of the natural light is still available as it enters the eye.

Take 20 x 50 as an example. Divide the 50 millimeter forward objective by 400 (20 times the 20 power magnification) to get 0.125. This means that for this optic, about 12% of the natural light is still available as it enters the eye.

The relative brightness goes down pretty quickly as the power increases. In daylight, this can even be a good thing.

My MiniQuick arrived from B&H today, two days after ordering it. They use the FedEx saver service by default, which was the cheapest option ($6.45). Very fast, but note that they require a signature, even when you've signed a release with FedEx, as I have.

The monocular itself is terrific. It's plastic, weighs almost nothing, and it does have a pocket clip (which is metal). I ordered it with the case, which is genuine leather, dark brown. Very nice.

The image is superb. Like someone said earlier, there is no distortion at all and no artifacts of any kind. You can't really tell that you're looking through a scope. It's easy to use, even with glasses on. It works well as a magnifier, too. I wouldn't call it a microscope, and the field of vision is too narrow to read with it, or anything like that, but the image is again crystal clear. Overall, I'm very pleased. This is one of those things that you can easily get cheaper, but it won't be nearly as good.

Order my Zeiss Miniquick monocular from www.binocular.com

Really nice and helpful folks there. We talked about the different choices they carry (Nikon, Steiner, Zeiss etc.)Since I've never tried any of them it was important to me that they "walk me through it"

I tried AAAbinoculars and found them very unhelpful to the point where I felt that they really didn't care about my business at all (their attitude was almost rude!)

Besides they were out of stock and didn't know if or when they would get any more.

I would never order from them
mad.gif

Back