Zimbabwe Trip Knife recommendations?

Hey I was in Panama last year. For some reason I can't recall the town I stayed in. It was like 45 min inland from Las Lejas Beach. I showed the locals how to sharpen an machete with steel just like you would use a chakmak (or however you spell it) and they were amazed
When I first came down (Before I moved) to Central America I was going to buy some 12', $200 fixed-blade knife.. posted it here on Bladeforums and asked what they thought. To my surprise at the time, everyone just recommended waiting until I arrived in Panama and buy a cheap machete (Or whatever the locals used). It was actually great advice, and I would pass it along.

As much as I love my 15" Ang Khola, the majority of the time when I need something sharp for field work, the local machetes are better suited to my needs down here. I would suspect that the tools you find locally would be better suited for that area.

That said, I would definitely pack a nice folder and maybe a multitool as well.

My BM 710 goes with me everywhere
When I first came down (Before I moved) to Central America I was going to buy some 12', $200 fixed-blade knife.. posted it here on Bladeforums and asked what they thought. To my surprise at the time, everyone just recommended waiting until I arrived in Panama and buy a cheap machete (Or whatever the locals used). It was actually great advice, and I would pass it along.

As much as I love my 15" Ang Khola, the majority of the time when I need something sharp for field work, the local machetes are better suited to my needs down here. I would suspect that the tools you find locally would be better suited for that area.

That said, I would definitely pack a nice folder and maybe a multitool as well.

More beneficial would be to go back with a nice hand made Zambezi Valley spear or a Katemo ( both are available from the market at Vic Falls).
Enjoy the trip man, great people, great country, great wildlife:)

I've had good luck in various places buying my cutlery in country. Very understandable for a tourist, makes traveling easier, not hard to explain to officials, suited for the local environment and tasks.

I think you've gotten good advice here.

If you must take a khukuri, let it be a KLVUK. Less costly if you lose it. Less likely to attract attention, since it's not "shiny." You can probably get a KLVUK in the length-weight range that you want, if you email Yangdu and don't need it immediately.

That said, there's a very good chance that you would have any HI khukuri confiscated or stolen, maybe in airport luggage inspection, maybe by police, maybe by some local trying to feed his family.

One of the advantages of buying a local blade is that you can see what people are allowed to wear and use openly when you get there. It's not just about researching local laws, which might be impossible from a distance, but about what is common, accepted practice, and what works well for the type of chopping/cutting in the area. Don't even think about stopping a charging rhinoceros with a khukuri. They'll be scraping you off the ground. :(

A local blade will probably be relatively inexpensive and a good souvenir to bring home later.

Enjoy your time there, and please post some of your experiences afterward in the Cantina.

I just found out that I am going to be going to zimbabwe this summer for volunteer construction work. It is going to be really hard work and I want a shiny HI to accompany me on my journey. As I do research, I am finding that I will probably be encountering some badass fauna. Also I may be going on a safari near Victoria falls. I probably wouldn't want something too heavy but with enough heft to chop through some super hard wood. I'm thinking of a KLUK but something more in the 17" to 18" range. Has HI ever made one that size? I probably wouldn't want anything over 24-26 oz. It's funny how I use a trip to Africa as an excuse to get a new knife. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

I wouldn´t take a big knife of any kind if i were u brother...

Firstly... If u have to defend yourself against some big animal, i believe that only a 375 H&H would work efficient enough.
Secondly... People would think u are some kinda "contractor" and by the time u start to explain otherwise... u´ll be shot with AK rounds or in pieces be machete blows...
Finally... if u go to safari... just pay for a experienced guide. It´s cheap and u´ll be very protected from fauna or hostiles.

Just my way of thinking...

ROD

Last edited:
That said, there's a very good chance that you would have any HI khukuri confiscated or stolen, maybe in airport luggage inspection, maybe by police, maybe by some local trying to feed his family.

One of the advantages of buying a local blade is that you can see what people are allowed to wear and use openly when you get there. It's not just about researching local laws, which might be impossible from a distance, but about what is common, accepted practice, and what works well for the type of chopping/cutting in the area. Don't even think about stopping a charging rhinoceros with a khukuri. They'll be scraping you off the ground. :(

A local blade will probably be relatively inexpensive and a good souvenir to bring home later.

Enjoy your time there, and please post some of your experiences afterward in the Cantina.

Very solid piece of advice!

i would definitely carry a mean lookin khukri around that bad bush. screw what the locals think. i'm an american. go big or go home.

screw what the locals think. i'm an american. go big or go home.
That is the very attitude that has gotten well-meaning, but smug Murricans into needless trouble in foreign countries every time. Georgia/Alabama/Texas etc are banana republics too but close to home and they have educational facilities, speak English and have flush toilets, grocery stores and some sort of social safety net that goes with it.
You may in fact not be good material for representing the western world towards sowing the seeds of Democracy in a far off land. You are aware I hope that "President" Robert Mugabe is a 3rd world thug that has stripped all whites of their homes, properties and businesses and pillaged the national treasury. 'The' knife will only draw attention to yourself and do you no good in the long run.

In summary to 300Six (great screen name, I just got it) stay home. Discover America first quickly, what's left of it.

I would not try to stop a charging rhino, elephant, hippo, buffalo, etc... I was just wanting something sizable to take into the bush with me... Im down to get a spear, that would be awesome... The reason I wanted to bring a khuk is because I have traveled to many different places all over the world, and many times I have been faced with tasks that made me think to myself... Man, I wish I had a nice chopper but I totally respect what all of you are saying as I have never been to the African continent. Although I will say that my 15" sirupate served me well in the jungles of Peru... Maybe I should just read this martial arts book that my buddy has called "My sword is my hand" haha. I really don't give a crap about spreading democracy but I do like to keep a low profile. So thanks again to all for the sound advice. I will definately be taking lots of pictures.

That is so true... I have been to more countries than states believe it or not. I have always wanted to go backpacking somewhere in the eastern US. I mostly escape to the Sierras when I heed the call of nature. Bawanna, what are some of your favorite wilderness areas in the lower 48?
In summary to 300Six (great screen name, I just got it) stay home. Discover America first quickly, what's left of it.

I'm no one to talk really, my wilderness days are long over. But they area's are endless. All over from the North Cascades, down into Oregon, northern california (watch for Democrats and liberals while your there). I found places I'd love to walk in Idaho, Montana and especially Wyoming.
Utah and Colorado, just too many beautiful places. Sadly a wheelchair don't make it too good in the places I'd really like to go.

I walked from Canada to near Mexico back in the day on the crest Trail. It was a blast, a pain, and a nightmare all in one. Some awesome weather and some miserable ring out your socks weather too. You got me aching to stand up again, feels kind of good.

Oregon is amazing! Last year I packed around Bull of the Woods (south west mt hoot area). It was hot as hell (we went in August) but it was beautiful and there was tons of water everywhere. Well Bawanna, I am really sorry to hear about the bum legs. That's awesome that you made it all the way as a Southbounder. My Buddy was headed from Mexico to Canada this year but kept getting side tracked and made it to just past Yosemite.
I always imagine what America would be like had we not killed off so many species of animals... Grizzly Bears galore. Bison. Wolves. Jaguars. etc. what a crazy world that would be!

That is the very attitude that has gotten well-meaning, but smug Murricans into needless trouble in foreign countries every time. Georgia/Alabama/Texas etc are banana republics too but close to home and they have educational facilities, speak English and have flush toilets, grocery stores and some sort of social safety net that goes with it.
You may in fact not be good material for representing the western world towards sowing the seeds of Democracy in a far off land. You are aware I hope that "President" Robert Mugabe is a 3rd world thug that has stripped all whites of their homes, properties and businesses and pillaged the national treasury. 'The' knife will only draw attention to yourself and do you no good in the long run.

Lol i wouldn't be carrying it on my hip like a tool. And honestly just being white is more than enough to be a target. My dads been on safari in zimbabwe before and I believe he carried his kimber 338 pretty much all the time. Its a $7k gun if that didn't get attention I doubt a khukri would stir up a riot. Moreover my ex gf lived there for almost a year on an elephant preserve and she gave me a good idea of the atmosphere. I wouldnt step foot in the third world without being heavily armed. I'd rather be smug than a victim.

Will be in Oregon / Portland in 2 weeks. wife is at a conference and I'll be having fun with the kids. Any suggestions on what I can do there? My daughter can hike around 7 miles (she's just 4) and her brother is light enough to be carried by me for a few hours if required.
We like hiking but zoos or similar activities are also nice :)
Of course I'll do some internet research but if anybody knows any cool things off the beaten track that would be awesome.
Thank you guys.

Go the Smith Rocks in Redmond is a great hike and it has a giant Monkey Faced rock near the end of the trail. It is a pretty awesome sight. It is uphill but not too crazy. Redmond is just outside of Bend. Also Bagby Hotsprings where I was close to last year is pretty nice.
Will be in Oregon / Portland in 2 weeks. wife is at a conference and I'll be having fun with the kids. Any suggestions on what I can do there? My daughter can hike around 7 miles (she's just 4) and her brother is light enough to be carried by me for a few hours if required.
We like hiking but zoos or similar activities are also nice :)
Of course I'll do some internet research but if anybody knows any cool things off the beaten track that would be awesome.
Thank you guys.

Thanks a lot Derek. Just told my daughter about the monkey rock. Now she's insisting that we check it out :)

This is not derivative of Springfield 30 caliber model 1906. Much as I believe it's the best all around rifle cartridge ever made.
Ford Mo Co began producing a commercial 300 cu in (4.9 litre) in-line 6 cylinder gas engine in 1965 that went into commercial dump trucks and has been in production ever since (although not in automotive products since 1996) and has proved that inline engines are much more durable/reliable and fuel efficient than equivalent V's. Check out specs and durability of Cummins inline Diesel powerplants if you're at all skeptical. In-lines have been abandoned at the altar of political correctness but I happen to have one in an aging F150 that I daily drive and it's never been serviced (ie opened up) in all of its 28 years, is about to turn 500,000 km and still uses no oil. And it does not surprise me that prestigious automaker BMW continues to feature sophisticated in-line 6's in all of their performance products
Not much to do with knives/axes/blades but does relegate me to a wishful and simpler era.

Back