Zinker / Massdrop Dogtooth Framelock

Are you sure? Because WE makes most of their stuff so I get why you would think that but I have never heard that WE was making the BZ DogTooth.

Copy/paste from the product page on Massdrop :: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/80763

Specs:
  • Designed by Brad Zinker
  • Manufactured by WE Knife
  • Produced by Massdrop
  • Country of Origin: China
  • Blade: CPM-S35VN stainless steel
  • Handle: 6AL4V titanium
  • Frame lock
  • Hardened steel lockbar insert
  • Jimped flipper tab and spine
  • Deep carry steel pocket clip for right-handed tip-up carry
  • Blade thickness: 0.12 in (3 mm)
  • Handle thickness: 0.5 in (1.2 cm) <-- This is wrong, it's closer to 13/32" (0.41") - eyeballing it against a ruler it's 'round about halfway between 3/8" and 7/16"
  • Blade length: 3.3 in (8.3 cm)
  • Closed length: 4.05 in (10.3 cm)
  • Overall length: 7.3 in (18.6 cm)
  • Weight: 2.2 oz (61.6 g)

Copy/paste from the product page on Massdrop :: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/80763

Specs:
  • Designed by Brad Zinker
  • Manufactured by WE Knife
  • Produced by Massdrop
  • Country of Origin: China
  • Blade: CPM-S35VN stainless steel
  • Handle: 6AL4V titanium
  • Frame lock
  • Hardened steel lockbar insert
  • Jimped flipper tab and spine
  • Deep carry steel pocket clip for right-handed tip-up carry
  • Blade thickness: 0.12 in (3 mm)
  • Handle thickness: 0.5 in (1.2 cm) <-- This is wrong, it's closer to 13/32" (0.41") - eyeballing it against a ruler it's 'round about halfway between 3/8" and 7/16"
  • Blade length: 3.3 in (8.3 cm)
  • Closed length: 4.05 in (10.3 cm)
  • Overall length: 7.3 in (18.6 cm)
  • Weight: 2.2 oz (61.6 g)

Thank you very much.

That's not exactly how Massdrop works. I believe all of "their" knives are collaborations. This one is with designer/custom knife maker Brad Zinker (that's what the BZ on the blade stands for). They have a bunch of Ferrum Forge designed knives (Buc, Doa, Gent, Crux, Falcon, etc), and a few other collaborations as well. Massdrop isn't designing these knives, they're just paying to have them manufactured and handling the sales.

Correct, they're purchasing/licensing designs from designers and having OEM's make the product to spec, not just serving as the retailer. Massdrop refers to itself as the "Producer" (separate from the designer or manufacturer). My point was just that Massdrop going to the OEM with a design in-hand is substantially different from CK asking Lion Steel to make a modern Barlow, and seeing what comes back. CK's process with Lion Steel is in the middle between a typical sprint run and the "build to spec" process used by Massdrop and others.

Massdrop uses the same process tons of major brands use: buy or license a design from a knife designer, and outsource production to an OEM (as an example, nobody questions the Spyderco branding on the Smock, which wasn't designed or manufactured by Spyderco). The most telling evidence of the business model is from Eliott's rant when a customer questioned him about blade staining on the Falcon: "I designed the knife, but that's where my involvement ends." If it's clearly not Ferrum Forge's product, and it's not a WE Knives product, that only leaves one option. The warranty is even through Massdrop. The one exception to this MO has been the Mordax, which Ferrum Forge had already discussed doing a production version of with Pro-Tech. Per Massdrop, "it wasn’t feasible for either company to bring them to market," so it died until Massdrop stepped in to fund the project. This is likely why it's the only Massdrop collaboration that actually has the OEM's branding on it.

But, despite my assertion that Massdrop's branding being on the blade is standard within the industry, I concede that they typically do a horrid job of it. Other than the Gent, where the blade design forces a tiny logo, they routinely go obnoxiously large on their branding.

Edit: didn’t see that Hackenslash Hackenslash had already gone through some of this, but there’s some additional context, so I’ll leave it.

Last edited:
Massdrop is not a knife company, they sell a bunch of different crap not just knives. We is the knife company for this product. Cold Steel and Spyderco are knife companies, they sell knives or related items and even have a hand in product design from the get-go. Spyderco has a knife factory, both companies have knife R&D.

Massdrop is 21st century marketing, sucking dollars out of people who need personal reassurance they have "the best, exclusive, designed/designer" [insert product name] that a middle-income cool person can buy. They bring marketing and money to the table.

I wonder where they put their MassDrop label on the UnderArmor Boxer Jocks? :rolleyes:

While I hate the label on the blade, the Dogtooth is an outstanding knife. Bought two and both exhibit excellent F&F. Detent and flipping action flawless. WE nailed it.

Massdrop is not a knife company, they sell a bunch of different crap not just knives. We is the knife company for this product. Cold Steel and Spyderco are knife companies, they sell knives or related items and even have a hand in product design from the get-go. Spyderco has a knife factory, both companies have knife R&D.

Massdrop is 21st century marketing, sucking dollars out of people who need personal reassurance they have "the best, exclusive, designed/designer" [insert product name] that a middle-income cool person can buy. They bring marketing and money to the table.
How much "crap" have you purchased from Massdrop to develop this errant opinion?:p

Definitely a Leek killer!
7su4xl3.jpg

Without getting into the label discussion how are people liking theirs? I’m thinking of getting the rosewood version but haven’t seen many reviews or discussing of this. It does seem like a better, nonassisted leek but I like hearing first hand usage before buying.

It's one of my main carries along with a real Steel Metamorph, Spyderco urbam and baby Jess horn. It's a fantastic sharp, s all carry edc!

Honestly, it just seems tacky to me. Sure, I get that Massdrop made these knives happen... but I think their logo/name takes up way too much of the blade. I would rather see them do something like Collector Knives has done with their Lionsteel colabs:

maxresdefault.jpg

Maker/Manuf. labeling is prominent, and you get a small, elegant logo from Collectorknives to let you know they had a large hand in making it happen... without overshadowing the actual maker.

If Massdrop had a small logo like that, I would see no issue with it.

I've only got the MD 'Gent' but the branding is smaller than whats on the lionsteel there.

It's one of my main carries along with a real Steel Metamorph, Spyderco urbam and baby Jess horn. It's a fantastic sharp, s all carry edc!
Been looking VERY hard at the Metamorph in M390... seems to fit a lot of niches and will give me a chance to try a different front flipper (tried the Feist and either I was terrible, or it was too stubby for me to actuate properly).

I normally wouldn't get cfas they're too slippery for my liking but it looks like they contoured the scales for the CF version

Went down to Cape May for the weekend birdwatching and grabbed the Metamorph it's just a great format for slim carry as well!

4YMkOwH.jpg

Back