zip tie mod on a Delica

ostanley99

BANNED
I've got a Delica sitting here that I like to carry and zip ties. I'm really thinking about putting the zip ties on for the "wave" feature. I had some on a while ago and got annoyed by them so I took them off. But since then, I haven't carried it much. I'll post pics if anyone wants

I ended up doing it. Before and after:
BJI6mri.jpg

095jRK5.jpg

Holy smokes. Never seen that configuration. There's another gentleman on the forum that's into this stuff too.

Holy smokes. Never seen that configuration. There's another gentleman on the forum that's into this stuff too.

It's a stock Delica from Blade HQ that I threw some zip ties on. It's my main edc. I usually carry the Delica in my front right pocket, a SAK thrown in my front left and sometimes a mini grip in the front left. It even beats out my AFO 2 and full size Griptillian. I'll order a pm2 soon and will probably zip tie it too

I dont like the way any of the spyderco's look with the wave feature. It throws off the nice spin lol. Here is my two main EDC (i usually carry way too many knives) both with zip ties but i only like one on mine.

28815134421_f01bb8b8f6_o.jpg

You started this thread 2 minutes after you posted this in another thread:

The only knife I have that can be waved is a Delica. I got annoyed by the the zip ties and took them off

So twice now you've said they were annoying and you took them off. I don't get the point of this thread? Some kind of stink bait?

I only have a zip tie on my Skeletool. It was so much easier to open that I never took it off. I don't use it to replicate the wave feature though, just for a thumb stud. I spent about 30 seconds sanding the cut so it was smooth.

20160810_083402.jpg

You started this thread 2 minutes after you posted this in another thread:

So twice now you've said they were annoying and you took them off. I don't get the point of this thread? Some kind of stink bait?

Well he does have a retarded amount of posts for only being a member since July compared to me.

I only have a zip tie on my Skeletool. It was so much easier to open that I never took it off. I don't use it to replicate the wave feature though, just for a thumb stud. I spent about 30 seconds sanding the cut so it was smooth.

20160810_083402.jpg

Thats great why didnt i think of this one. I usually dont use the wave feature either i just have it on there just in case i need a knife fast. (except on the matriarch its only purpose is as a SD)

WOW! I have seen a lot of single zip ties added to knives but never five. What is the advantage to five?

Am I missing something here? I've collected a dozen dozens SpyderCo Folders over the years, purchased most of them right in Golden. To me the best all around folder for the money fit and finish. In all this time I've never put a plastic cable tie in the blade hole. I've never had any discussion with any SpyderCo employee at the factory store regarding this. In all honesty this just seems like a person bought a pocket knife with a hole when they really wanted a thumbstud. Maybe I'm losing some intellectual point being made here. I'm open for suggestions. Help me understand this. Putting a $125 folder in my pocket with a .16 cent cable tie seems kind of counter productive to me. It makes the knife itself seem rather unwieldy.

My introduction to SpyderCo as a knife manufacturer was as an active duty LEO. I carried a Civilian as one of the first introductory agencies in that knifes developement. I'm sorry son but this set up especially with a 1/4" plastic nodule attached to your pocket clipped knife will get you killed. You go for that pocket as loose as the denim is around your watch pouch and the potential to hang up is pretty stong. It's all grand and wonderful to feel safe in your edc and I will whole heartedly support SpyderCo as the knife brand of choice for such but putting a zip tie on a blade hole is not going to do anything to that knife that will make you more adept in a armed confrontation. If anything its going to get you into an emergency room.

I know knives aren't the best defensive weapons, but they're better than plain fists. I regularly drill and practice deploying and using my knives. I carry 2 for this purpose. One of them is a waved Delica for easy transition into the hammer grip and a small fixed blade upside down for an icepick grip. How do/would you guys carry knives as backups for self defence?
dcsXKGr.jpg

Got to agree with Greykilt, plus the zip tie will hamper slicing ability.

Holding some of the SpyderCo designs introduced by Sal and the gang over the recent years it's very easy to feel well defended when carrying.
But, based on the serious implications of some of the ops posts on this subject in both this subforum and others,, and the fact that some reader may be inspired to imitate such, I'm sorry but I feel compelled to reply in kind.
The practicality of
1. raising the hem of your tee shirt and then
2. getting that same hand onto your pocketknife
3. managing it out of the pocket with not one but multiple zip ties attached to it? Uhm.....no.
And a Delica no doubt, not that particular models intended purpose at all.
I don't want to sound demeaning here but this is bordering on the realm of absurdity and I hope that somebody reading all this is not inspired to dress out in such a fashion and head on out to the shady part of town. True One does reads about such heroic exploits in the newspaper ... the obituary section.

WOW! I have seen a lot of single zip ties added to knives but never five. What is the advantage to five?

Because when I tried it with one, the zip tie would turn upside down and face into the hole and the wave wouldn't work

Back