zip tie mod on a Delica

My introduction to SpyderCo as a knife manufacturer was as an active duty LEO. I carried a Civilian as one of the first introductory agencies in that knifes developement. I'm sorry son but this set up especially with a 1/4" plastic nodule attached to your pocket clipped knife will get you killed. You go for that pocket as loose as the denim is around your watch pouch and the potential to hang up is pretty stong. It's all grand and wonderful to feel safe in your edc and I will whole heartedly support SpyderCo as the knife brand of choice for such but putting a zip tie on a blade hole is not going to do anything to that knife that will make you more adept in a armed confrontation. If anything its going to get you into an emergency room.

If I ever use them, I expect to go the emergency room. If I don't expect to be killed or seriously injured, I'm going for the more legal route and using my hands. The self defense part is a LAST resort since I'm not able to carry a handgun. I admit however, that that setup is all theory

If I ever use them, I expect to go the emergency room. If I don't expect to be killed or seriously injured, I'm going for the more legal route and using my hands. The self defense part is a LAST resort since I'm not able to carry a handgun. I admit however, that that setup is all theory

It's a good theory. I'm not criticizing your thoughts here so don't take me wrong. A lot of members read these type of threads, especially in Prac Tac, and they get inspired. I see in my minds eye a teenager reaching for that Endura and thinking this is it and five plastic nodules grabbing the brass corner button of his Levis as he tries to brandish it.
This being the SpyderCo subforum I meant only to query the cable tie through the hole in an attempt to wave modify the knife. Which is to try and produce a folder that will open as you remove it from your pocket.
Now from a LEO's perspective, and more importantly from a legal standpoint, let's say you DO get into a confrontation and you DO deploy your knife and you DO successfully ward of your attacker by injuring him. With me so for?
You modified your SpyderCo so it would rapidly open when pulled, and even though the thought behind that is only in a defense situation, once in court that little cable tie can play a whole new role as far as proof of criminal intent goes. It falls under the same thought as rifle vs assault rifle. May not mean anything now, we're just talking about it, but it could be argued into a liability. In addition, if a municipality views a product as a threat to the community then that product can be deemed illegal. Take automatic knives for example. Or the SpyderCo UK Penknife because an easy opening lockback is illegal in England. Knives that can be easily modified by the general public fall under that and I'd hate to be restricted from carrying my Stretch because someone can turn it into an assisted opener.
SpyderCo produces a plethora of knives that are designed for defensive situations. Perhaps consider one of those. A factory made product used as intended will produce much more satisfactory results than a Spyderco modified by Radio Shack. Remember what one knife owner does with his knife can and does have the potential to adversely effect what others can do with thiers.

Last edited:
It's a good theory. I'm not criticizing your thoughts here so don't take me wrong. A lot of members read these type of threads, especially in Prac Tac, and they get inspired. I see in my minds eye a teenager reaching for that Endura and thinking this is it and five plastic nodules grabbing the brass corner button of his Levis as he tries to brandish it.
This being the SpyderCo subforum I meant only to query the cable tie through the hole in an attempt to wave modify the knife. Which is to try and produce a folder that will open as you remove it from your pocket.
Now from a LEO's perspective, and more importantly from a legal standpoint, let's say you DO get into a confrontation and you DO deploy your knife and you DO successfully ward of your attacker by injuring him. With me so for?
You modified your SpyderCo so it would rapidly open when pulled, and even though the thought behind that is only in a defense situation, once in court that little cable tie can play a whole new role as far as proof of criminal intent goes. It falls under the same thought as rifle vs assault rifle. May not mean anything now, we're just talking about it, but it could be argued into a liability. In addition, if a municipality views a product as a threat to the community then that product can be deemed illegal. Take automatic knives for example. Or the SpyderCo UK Penknife because an easy opening lockback is illegal in England. Knives that can be easily modified by the general public fall under that and I'd hate to be restricted from carrying my Stretch because someone can turn it into an assisted opener.
SpyderCo produces a plethora of knives that are designed for defensive situations. Perhaps consider one of those. A factory made product used as intended will produce much more satisfactory results than a Spyderco modified by Radio Shack. Remember what one knife owner does with his knife can and does have the potential to adversely effect what others can do with thiers.

You make a valid point. Although I truthfully don't understand the stigma attached to automatic knives. If I wanted to, I can/have opened any folder with a spyderhole or thumb stud as fast as my automatic(Benchmade AFO 2 I know it's not a Spyderco but I'm making a point so please bear with me) and handling both of them, I feel better with the Delica than the bigger, beefier automatic. On a similar note, I have a list of knives that are waiting on funds. At least one of them would fill the role better, but it's what I have for now. If you want, I can list them out but I don't think that pertains to the discussion here

You make a valid point. Although I truthfully don't understand the stigma attached to automatic knives. If I wanted to, I can/have opened any folder with a spyderhole or thumb stud as fast as my automatic(Benchmade AFO 2 I know it's not a Spyderco but I'm making a point so please bear with me) and handling both of them, I feel better with the Delica than the bigger, beefier automatic. On a similar note, I have a list of knives that are waiting on funds. At least one of them would fill the role better, but it's what I have for now. If you want, I can list them out but I don't think that pertains to the discussion here

Although I only carry my knife for utility, I do like to listen to others more experienced than myself in dangerous confrontations. That being said, you might find the video I linked on this post interesting: Evolution of the Yohimbo 2 video. The video is from Michael Janich of Martial Blade Concepts, the designer of the Spyderco Yojimbo line. He actually carried the Delica and talks about some of the similarities between the Delica and the Yojimbo for his purposes.

Also, may I suggest, that if you really are expecting to defend yourself with such a device, that you spend a little time with an accredited instructor and learn your states laws on self defense. When I lived in MN, I remember the Kali Group with Rick Faye did some training for local police. You might find some local trainers trusted by local police for experience in that area.

Back