Zombie Slayer anyone?!?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Being more of an "Outdoor Gear" knifemaker and less of a fantasy/art knifemaker...a zombie-slayer knife has never really appealed to me.

Until now. :D

I finished Abraham Lincoln: Zombie Slayer and am now reading Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - both by Seth Grahame-Smith.

And I think I can justify a Zombie Slayer as an "outdoor gear product" and *worthy* of my consideration.

What do you guys think?

Anybody have a good one? or been lusting for one?

For me, a zombie-slayer would have to have a little bit of whimsy to the design, but be deadly serious. It would have to be a knife that when unsheathed would make your wife/girlfriend/boss say "What would you EVER use that for? killing zombies or something?!?"

:D :eek: :p

Let's hear it - I need some comments for/against. :p

Oh, and pics would be nice.

Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
********Check out the Latest Drawing/Design HERE =====> http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8980071&postcount=156
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
In the early '90s, I lived for three years in a small room the back of a funeral home. During those three years, more than 900 zombies were brought into the basement right below me. All hours of day and night. So I know a thing or two about zombies.

I relied on a S&W K-frame for zombie defense. Honestly, its the only thing that let me sleep at night, when its 3am and storming, and you are hearing all kinds of strange sounds.

But I am looking forward to seeing what folks come up with here. Whatever it is, I think it requires the ability to decapitate in 2 or 3 hacks. I'm just saying.

Sounds like fun. It should be long enough to keep your distance, pointy enough to stab but beefy enough to decapitate or split a head with a single blow. I'd think you'd want to be able to get both hands on it.

Maybe like a heavy 22" two handed golok. That would be freakin AWESOME!

Or a two handed gladius with a blade that's about 50% longer than the average gladius.

Heck, that's why I got on the list for the Monster Nessie!!!!

But....if you want, you could add about 10 inches to the Monster Nessie design and call it the "Zombie Nessie!" :)

That is what my SwampRat Waki is for!!!
My girlfriend sometimes calls it a 'Zombie slayer'.

I'm thinking something like the K-Boar with a persian sweep to the blade. please excuse the poor photoshoping skills, but something like this:

Zombie.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY SHMOKES!!!!

that looks great....I like that idea!

How about a deep swedge from the tip back about 4"?

:eek:

Dan

I'm thinking something like the K-Boar with a persian sweep to the blade. please excuse the poor photoshoping skills, but something like this:

Zombie.jpg

HOLY SHMOKES!!!!

that looks great....I like that idea!

How about a deep swedge from the tip back about 4"?

:eek:

Dan

Increase the handle length to just enough for 2 hands and the blade length to close to 20".

should the blade be "taller" (spine to edge)?

I like the 2 hand idea - how about hand-and-a-half? Might be better proportionally.

Dan

i think proportionally you don't want too much height but I guess it depends on the taper. It should have some tapering and good belly which is why i like the sorta persian sweep. It would make a good slasher and still be good at penetrating by the tip.

I like the hand and a half idea. with Zombies you want to be able to handle the knife in one hand if you need to. :)

Need some weight out at the end for the decapitation work!

I never thought I would actually type something like that...cool! :)

Need some weight out at the end for the decapitation work!

I never thought I would actually type something like that...cool! :)

i think the size alone will put enough weight on the front of the blade. You don't want it to front heavy or it won't swing as nicely.

The important thing is reach - you really don't want to risk contamination!

Dan - you should pair this with a nice zombie slaying airgun and sell as a package.

And to think, I was going to buy a smaller knife next from Dan!

Back