ZT’s, Hinderer, and flipper questions

Few questions for the aficionados our there....

So, I own a few CRK’s, some bechmades, then owned some (a lot if I’m being honest)....SOGs, Kershaw, Buck, and SAK etc in the past. None of which have had flippers. All thumb studs or holes. When I started crk’s I did a bunch of research into Hinderers, but decided to go CRK instead.

I will say I EDC an Umnumzaan. For the last year and a half or so.

I was in a local outdoors store the other day and wanted to see what the ZT thing was about. They had some Les George models, then I think it was a Hinderer collab that was spring assisted. (Not at all a fan of assisted openings) I gave them all a try and honestly wasn’t blown away at all. Seemed to me there was “something missing.” Also, I have big hands, and it seemed the lock bar was really tough to get to on the ZT/Hinderer to release?

Im interested in trying out the XM series, or a ZT offering, but am hesitant. What do you all think my findings would be if I were to do so? How close are the Hinderer collab offerings to the actual Hinderer’s in terms of feel, fit and finish?

Also, I wasn’t sold on the flipper. I wanted to like it, but when deploying, the knife didn’t feel entirely secure in my hand. As if I were going to lose my grip. Definitely not as secure as opening my ‘Zaan. Maybe something that would go away with more practice?

Sorry for the long winded. Maybe just a little disappointed. Curious as to everyone’s thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Wanted to love them, but not sure if it something that needs to be carried to appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Few questions for the aficionados our there....

So, I own a few CRK’s, some bechmades, then owned some (a lot if I’m being honest)....SOGs, Kershaw, Buck, and SAK etc in the past. None of which have had flippers. All thumb studs or holes. When I started crk’s I did a bunch of research into Hinderers, but decided to go CRK instead.

I will say I EDC an Umnumzaan. For the last year and a half or so.

I was in a local outdoors store the other day and wanted to see what the ZT thing was about. They had some Les George models, then I think it was a Hinderer collab that was spring assisted. (Not at all a fan of assisted openings) I gave them all a try and honestly wasn’t blown away at all. Seemed to me there was “something missing.” Also, I have big hands, and it seemed the lock bar was really tough to get to on the ZT/Hinderer to release?

Im interested in trying out the XM series, or a ZT offering, but am hesitant. What do you all think my findings would be if I were to do so? How close are the Hinderer collab offerings to the actual Hinderer’s in terms of feel, fit and finish?

Also, I wasn’t sold on the flipper. I wanted to like it, but when deploying, the knife didn’t feel entirely secure in my hand. As if I were going to lose my grip. Definitely not as secure as opening my ‘Zaan. Maybe something that would go away with more practice?

Sorry for the long winded. Maybe just a little disappointed. Curious as to everyone’s thoughts, opinions, and experiences. Wanted to love them, but not sure if it something that needs to be carried to appreciate.

Thanks in advance

As the ZT/Hinderer collab you tried was the assisted model it is no good to compare to say an XM18 (ie: a “real” Hinderer) That being said generally ZTs are considered to have very good flipping action generally. All their flipper models run on ball bearings which the Hinderers do not. ZTs are often considered to be the standard by which other flippers are judged because they have such a stellar reputation in this department.

I would think with practice you would get used to flippers and would no longer think they feel insecure in your hand when flipping. Personally I don’t find the grip used when flipper tabbing a knife to be any less secure than the grip when thumb stud opening it.

I have not owned a Hinderer but the flipping action seems to be generally stated to not be as good at the ZTs. They seem sort of hit or miss with some having not a great flipping action and others having a “good enough” flipping action.

My two suggestions would be 0909 if you can still find one, flipper liner lock, it's a good "inbetween" since you feel less like you lose your grip with it compared to a frame lock. Plus it's a very beefy tool. And the 0562, it's a Hinderer Collab that won't break the bank (compared to the 0392), flips great, well made and fits in my (big) hands comfortably.

From my experience Hinderer has cleared up any detent or flipping issues they may have had on the past. The ZTs flip very well and are great quality, I liken the Hinderer itch to the CRK itch, once you start thinking about it you wont be satisfied until you try the real thing.

I recently picked up an eklipse and I like it better than a xm 18.

Thanks guys.

Guess I’m wondering if the zts measure up to the actual Hinderer. I was expecting the Zt/Hinderer I handled to be a little thicker maybe, in terms of scales? I didn’t quite get the “overbuilt” feel I was expecting.

Also, after examining how I open my zaan, as opposed to the flipper, the zaan actually sits back into my hand with all fingers on scales. Whereas the flipper is more of a pinch out further into the fingers because the pointer is accessing the flipper tab.

Wish they would have had an 0562 to try

You can still find Hinderer non flippers.
If you're not used to flippers, there is a learning period to get the hang of it. At first they seem as exactly as you described, but after a bit, they are just as secure in the hand as your CRK. Personally, I like both but if I had to choose, I'd go with a non flipper.

IMO, the ZT has excellent F&F and the 0562 is a better flipper than the Hinderer. Of course they say there's nothing like the real deal, until you understand who the they are :rolleyes:

I love my xm18 but it does not flip well until you get used to accommodating the poor detent and it is a recent build, that said something just feels right about it better than my Inkosi or 0562. I love them too though just different

I have a ZT0095. The "harpoon" style blade isn't everyones cup of tea but I personally really like it.
I also tried the 0450 and 0452, and they flip really nice and lockup is solid. Almost feels assisted but it's not.

I have a ZT0095. The "harpoon" style blade isn't everyones cup of tea but I personally really like it.
I also tried the 0450 and 0452, and they flip really nice and lockup is solid. Almost feels assisted but it's not.

I quite like my 0095 but the handle is a tad small in my opinion for big hands, it works well enough but it wouldn't be my first pick for lengthy tasks if I have more fitting/comfortable handle options.

Sounds like you already have the knife that fits your needs. Once you're accustomed to something, it can be more difficult to accept something else.

As stated already, handle a 0562cf. If you don't like it, ZT flippers might not be for you.

Mine flies open and falls shut like a dream. Silky quick but ZT tough. 20cv, Ti, CF, deep clip, thin carry, and ZT build quality for $250.

I currently have 4 Hinderers, and I've moved a couple along in the past. All but one were flippers. Hinderers do not flip like ZT's. They just don't. They aren't designed or intended to and they never will flip like ZT's do. There... I said it. But I will say that in the 6 later models Hinderers I've had, the detent was fine in all of them. Not overly soft and not too crisp. Mine have no detent problems.

Now, having said that, Hinderers do flip pretty well once you get past "... it doesn't flip like a...". They flip well enough to open and lock up with either a light switch or push button technique. It might be compared to opening a manual folder on bearings vs. opening a CRK with its "hydraulic" feel. The action is different and it's gonna feel different. If you're not attracted to flippers and/or overbuilt, heavy knives in the first place, you're probably not gonna find anything about Hinderers that attracts you. OTOH, if you like that kind of folder, IMAO Hinderer does it as well as or better than any other brand I've had.

Hinderers do not feel like anyone's collab pieces to me. I've had several ZT/Hinderer models and none of them feel like any of the actual Hinderer models I've had. I have a preference for the Hinderers over a ZT in their comparable models because I like the feel and the action of the Hinderers better.

ZT flippers are among the best production flippers in the market. I have had 10+ ZTs and they are all great great flippers.

I have two XM-18 and both are great flippers, although they are not as snappy as most ZTs, which may not necessarily a bad thing. The hardware of Hinderer is definitely with higher quality and looks more attractive than that of most ZTs (except 0392 which has the same hardware as Hinderer). The g10 scale of Hinderer to me is better than most ZT g10 scales. The ergonomics of XM-18 is among the best if not the best, all brands considered.

For me, XM-18 is more beautiful than most ZTs.

These are of course lots of personal opinions.

Edit: a mandatory picture is added.
HtxMKKW.jpg

Last edited:
D519ACF9-0D3E-4847-BE08-388960694556.jpeg I own a half dozen Hinderer models and numerous ZT Hinderer’s. All are well made from both companies. The quality you get from Zt for the price is impressive and they flip better than many knives costing 5X more. Zt has great costumer service to boot.

Hinderer has slightly better fit and finish and are a breeze for disassembled/assemble. I greatly prefer their ergonomics. All of mine flip smoothly but I must admit while detent strength has increased I would still ask the retailer to hand pick one.

Last edited:
View attachment 831135 I own a half dozen Hinderer models and numerous ZT Hinderer’s. All are well made from both companies. The quality you get from Zt for the price is impressive and they flip better than many knives costing 5X more. Zt has great costumer service to boot.

Hinderer has slightly better fit and finish and are a breeze for disassembled/assemble. I greatly prefer their ergonomics. All of mine flip smoothly but I must admit while detent strength has increased I would still ask the retailer to hand pick one.
Beautiful! I love me some clip points, yet somehow don't own a single one other than my gec toms choice peach seed barlow.

........Also, I wasn’t sold on the flipper. I wanted to like it, but when deploying, the knife didn’t feel entirely secure in my hand. As if I were going to lose my grip. Definitely not as secure as opening my ‘Zaan. Maybe something that would go away with more practice?.....
Thanks in advance

I'm more of a thumb stud, Spyderhole, swing the blade out, kinda guy. But, I've owned and carried a few flippers that I've enjoyed. I've found that pulling the flipper with the inside of the middle joint of my index finger, I can keep a much better grip on the scales than using the tip of my index finger. (BTW, I had to google the name of that joint, trying to make it more clear. It's the proximal interphalangeal joint. I decided that that didn't make it any more clear, at all.)

Guess I’m wondering if the zts measure up to the actual Hinderer.

Some of the Hinderers are more beautiful to my eye. Aside from that, I would say that the ZT 0562 and 0392 are the greatest Hinderers ever made.

Essentially ZT is one of the best knife factories in the world, and my own opinion is that the Hinderer factory is not. It took them a decade to be able to produce a consistent detent, if you believe they've even sorted that out by now. A year ago I went to a show and the detents were still inconsistent and the washers were still plastic.

Some of the Hinderers are more beautiful to my eye. Aside from that, I would say that the ZT 0562 and 0392 are the greatest Hinderers ever made.

Agreed, a 0392 Spanto and Skinner would have been nice.

My first Hinderer was actually a ZT 0560. Fit, finish were fantastic and it flipped open like a rocket. It was a wonderful knife.

Fast forward to now and I've owned several Hinderer XMs. While they all open smooth, none fire open like that ZT did. Overall, the fit, finish and design are higher on the Hinderers, the ZT was a close second. The ZT was a fine, fine knife, but it isn't a Hinderer.

In my opinion, if you want a Hinderer, buy a Hinderer because no matter what, a ZT is a ZT is a ZT.

Back