ZT’s, Hinderer, and flipper questions

I tend to prefer Hinderer's (and older ZT's) softer detent. I appreciate being able to "lightly" bump the flipper tab, and have the blade move; as opposed to the all or nothing of the newer ZTs (and many current flippers).
My XM18 requires one to "know how to flip a Hinderer" for best results; whereas my MP-1 seems pretty well dialed in, but still softer than most current issue flippers.

Ive handled all of ZTs Hinderer's (and own a good many of them) and Ive also handled a bunch of actual Hinderers but don't own any.
I think ZT makes a better Hinderer than Hinderer at a cheaper price point too.

I have a couple zt's, one is 0566 and the other is an 0350, both assisted, the 0350 is my favorite knife I have ever owned... BUT, I like the knife to open with out huge wrist movement or effort in general, when I touch the flipper I want it to open and fast, the ZT's seem to do that well...

2 of these did not flip well right out the box , but if you are willing to adjust the pivot slightly
(Like less than 1/8 turn usually) they all work perfectly
But it does take a bit of practice to get use to. Hinderer are not what most people are probly expecting if
you have not handled one.
nL4Fuyd.jpg

I've owned 4x ZT 0566/bw, 2x 0560BW, 2x 0562BK, 4x XM-18, so I have a little experience with the ZT hinderer line up, and hinderer knives. I understand the complaints on the XM-18, as some of mine had a weaker detent, now... weaker doesn't mean they didn't flip. They never failed to engage from push button or light switch flipping(no wrist action ofc), even the worse one. However, it isn't the rocket sensation that you get from the KVT offered in the ZT line up. Now, the flipper tab on the xm-18 is not as flat as the ZT's or most flipper so that can take some getting use to. I love, and use my ZT's all the time and think they're amazing knives. However, if you put the price aside - I would still say overall the xm-18(and hinderer knives in extension) is a better knife. Us knife guys (and gals) seem to obsess slightly on every small detail... the fact is both ZT and hinderer knives are exceptional and they will last a lifetime.

^^ My newest Hinderer is a blacked out Jurassic with reptile pattern scale. I was very surprised at how comfortable the knife is to hold and use. I held off on the Jurassic until I could find one to hold and try. I saw one at Gear Barrel in Ocala, FL and held it. It was as big a surprise to me as the first time I held an SnG. Both knives just seemed to be designed around my hand... just for me. The Jurassic has become a favorite for its size and ergos.

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I really appreciate. I think I’m going to try to track down an 0562 to get my hands on. Wasn’t really wanting to splurge for the Hinderer price tag, (wife would probably end up buying a skinner grind and put it to use if I did). Kinda was hoping I would be blown away by the ZT’s as I know they have a stellar reputation, but the ones I did handle, it just wasn’t all there.

Guess that’s maybe to be expected when you go looking at ZT’s for the first time with a CRK in your pocket.

Regardless, I still want to give a 562 a fair shot, but that 0395 looks AMAZING....

Back