ZT 707 coming 6/16!

Upon first glance I wasn't a fan but after watching the video it looks like a pretty slick little knife. I generally despise deep carry clips but in this instance I think it fits the design and intended use well. Probably still not for me, as these days a knife really has to sing to me for me to pick it up, but it is cool and I look forward to seeing more of it here from other members.

I like it but am not sure I'm going to buy it.

BHQ lists the price at $248, which is a bit on the high side. The 3.5" blade is a min length for me but the 20CV is among the currently "sexy" steels. The 2.3 oz wt is a bit of surprised for a knife that's 8 1/4" long overall. So, it looks like it will be thin and light which should make it a very nice knife for EDC carry but lacking in the kind of "heft" that I expect/prefer from a ZT.

It does bear a resemblance to the Bareknuckle but it also reminds me of the 0452 which is one of my favorite ZT models.

What I don't like at 1st glance is the design/appearance of the pivot hardware. Will have to see it up close to decide whether it's a deal killer for me or not. On the other hand, the stylistic carryover of the hole in the scales/frame from the 0308 doesn't bother me. It actually looks better to me on the 0707 than on the 0308.

The thing I didn't like about the 0380 wasn't the whole, it was the tan scales. Black would have been much better. Hopefully they'll come out w/a black variation like Cold Steel did w/the AD-15.

Last edited:
By far the best ZT design I've seen in years. Looks like quite a package; slicey, thin, light, great materials, made in the USA. I'll pick one up for sure.

Slicey Dicey did an overview video with comparisons to the bareknuckle and some other knives. Looks a little better in the hand.

After seeing it next to the Bareknuckle, yep... Definitely off my list. I'm glad some like it, but not for me. I'd rather have a 223 lol! That double detent is going to tick a lot of people off (no drop shut), and the knife doesn't do anything my Bareknuckle won't.

I dont get the whole drop shut fad. Other than a display to get internet points; who cares. A knife can be very smooth without "dropping" shut.

The tuned detent conversely eliminates the trouble some have by riding the lockbar on deployment. Given the slimmness of this little beast I'd say its going to be a very welcome addition.

Also a thought on the possible smoothness of the 0707, remember that its riding on not one but two detents. So my guess is it'll probably take hair longer to "break in" and get as smooth as it'll end up being after some use. Just a thought...

Any thoughts on how it compares to the 452? This is the first ZT in a while that can be completion to the 452.

Hoping ZT would go all in and do a straight up gentlemen’s carry. Offer the 0707 with wood scales. My preference would be curly Koa.

Any thoughts on how it compares to the 452? This is the first ZT in a while that can be completion to the 452.

Do you mean to say that you think that the 0707 is "competitive" w/the 0452? If so, I think not.

The 0452 has a 4.1" blade (0.6" longer) and weighs 4.3oz (2oz more) than an 0707 at 2.3oz. Overall length of the 0452 is 9.27" which makes it look/feel more like a sword. The overall length of the 0707 is 8.25" but the design of the blade and it's light weight makes it look and probably feel more like a filet knife. Nothing wrong w/that but they're not the same.

The 0707 is more comparable in size & weight w/the 0450, which has a 3.25" blade, 7.375" long overall and weighs 2.90 oz.

Here's a pic of the 0452 and 0450 together:

maxresdefault.jpg

The 0707 would fit between the two in terms of length and have about the same feel as the 0450 in terms of weight but with a sleeker/slimmer and more attractive design.

When you compare the 0707 w/the Sprint Run CF M390 Bareknuckle, they spec out almost identically w/the Bareknuckle's 3.5" blade, 8.2" overall length and 2.9 oz weight (same as the 0450) but the CF M390 Bareknuckle only retailed for $200 and one just sold a few days ago on the Exchange for $148.

See: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kershaw-bareknuckle-sprint-run-m390-carbon-fiber-sold.1732244/

oKAhTnw.jpg

The 0707 is a lot "prettier" and has 20CV steel (which is not all that better than M390) but if a CF M390 Bareknuckle can still be had $100 less than the price of the 0707, why bother w/the 0707?

On top of that you can buy a standard version of the Bareknuckle for just $73 on BHQ (I paid a lot more for one when it was 1st released) with obviously lesser 14C28N steel and just 1.3 oz more weight.

So, now that I've analyzed the 0707 to death, I think I've convinced myself NOT to buy it. No need to do so IMO as long as I already have a standard Bareknuckle which costs less than 1/3 the price of an 0707 and almost specs out identically with it.

iu

Of course, there will be those of you that just "must have" the 0707.

Nothing wrong w/that either. Different strokes for different folks but personally, with all of the other knives I own, including the Bareknuckle and three 0452's (I sold the only 0450 I ever owned because I thought it was too small/light for a ZT), I don't see a reason buy it myself. At least not right now.

0707_profile_web.png

Last edited:
I agree that the 0452 is uncontested... It's a perfect knife for what it is, and has been in my pocket most of the week :)

The 0450 was always a little too cramped for me, but I tried owning three anyway!

Sinkevich comparisons are interesting, but I think KAI is listening to customers/community more than they have in a while. This is an attempt at a lot of good things, and I think their direction with Kershaw right now reflects that too. The Bareknuckle is surprisingly my favorite newish design, and I'm not sure the 0707 will change that. Regardless, I'd really like to get this one in hand!

452 is my EDC, but sometimes it feels a bit much for a professional in an office like myself. 450 was too small, so hoping to get a 0707 in hand someday to see if it’s “just right”.

As for the CF bareknuckle it is better made than the regular one? I handled two of the regular ones in a store and was shocked at the inconsistent quality (that was early on).

This looks to be an awesome knife. I do own 2 0770s but they are not pointy whatsoever and could not puncture anything, they seemed to have fixed that with this new 0707! I like it....
Also, I don’t think anything will compare to any of the 0452 models

Do you mean to say that you think that the 0707 is "competitive" w/the 0452? If so, I think not.

The 0452 has a 4.1" blade (0.6" longer) and weighs 4.3oz (2oz more) than an 0707 at 2.3oz. Overall length of the 0452 is 9.27" which makes it look/feel more like a sword. The overall length of the 0707 is 8.25" but the design of the blade and it's light weight makes it look and probably feel more like a filet knife. Nothing wrong w/that but they're not the same.

The 0707 is more comparable in size & weight w/the 0450, which has a 3.25" blade, 7.375" long overall and weighs 2.90 oz.

Here's a pic of the 0452 and 0450 together:

maxresdefault.jpg

The 0707 would fit between the two in terms of length and have about the same feel as the 0450 in terms of weight but with a sleeker/slimmer and more attractive design.

When you compare the 0707 w/the Sprint Run CF M390 Bareknuckle, they spec out almost identically w/the Bareknuckle's 3.5" blade, 8.2" overall length and 2.9 oz weight (same as the 0450) but the CF M390 Bareknuckle only retailed for $200 and one just sold a few days ago on the Exchange for $148.

See: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/kershaw-bareknuckle-sprint-run-m390-carbon-fiber-sold.1732244/

oKAhTnw.jpg

The 0707 is a lot "prettier" and has 20CV steel (which is not all that better than M390) but if a CF M390 Bareknuckle can still be had $100 less than the price of the 0707, why bother w/the 0707?

On top of that you can buy a standard version of the Bareknuckle for just $73 on BHQ (I paid a lot more for one when it was 1st released) with obviously lesser 14C28N steel and just 1.3 oz more weight.

So, now that I've analyzed the 0707 to death, I think I've convinced myself NOT to buy it. No need to do so IMO as long as I already have a standard Bareknuckle which costs less than 1/3 the price of an 0707 and almost specs out identically with it.

iu

Of course, there will be those of you that just "must have" the 0707.

Nothing wrong w/that either. Different strokes for different folks but personally, with all of the other knives I own, including the Bareknuckle and three 0452's (I sold the only 0450 I ever owned because I thought it was too small/light for a ZT), I don't see a reason buy it myself. At least not right now.

0707_profile_web.png
Both bareknuckle versions have no point to the blade whatsoever. I’d trade both my 0770s for one of these in a heartbeat. This looks to be an awesome SD knife as well as cutting unlike the bareknuckle and the 0770 which are kind of useless in a SD situation, JMO...
Btw that Is a nice looking version of the bareknuckle... cool knife! ....but also...
You mentioned 20CV is not “much better” than M390...? I always thought it was the other way around

Last edited:
Both bareknuckle versions have no point to the blade whatsoever. I’d trade both my 0770s for one of these in a heartbeat. This looks to be an awesome SD knife as well as cutting unlike the bareknuckle and the 0770 which are kind of useless in a SD situation, JMO...
Btw that Is a nice looking version of the bareknuckle... cool knife! ....but also...
You mentioned 20CV is not “much better” than M390...? I always thought it was the other way around

20cv and m390 are the same, made by 2 different foundries. Neither the Bareknuckle or 707 would be good for SD, they're not designed for it. Having a point or not doesn't matter, as it seems the wharncliff blade is pretty popular in a SD knife (see yojimbo and canis).

The 707 is, to me, a failure. The Bareknuckle has a better design and is cheaper, and can be had with the same steel from the mountain store. No way I'd pay $248 when I got the superior model for $150...

On paper it sounds really, really good. The blade shape is just not for me though. And another hole in the handle? No thanks. I'll pass.

Slicey Dicey did an overview video with comparisons to the bareknuckle and some other knives. Looks a little better in the hand.

After watching this video I'm a bit upset that I don't like the blade shape and the hole in the handle. It looks like an extremely well designed knife otherwise. Damn :mad::(

The size and weight are really appealing to me for my office job or the times I have to wear slacks. However the design just misses the mark overall for me and there are a lot of reports that ZT has optimized toughness rather than edge retention in the heat treat of the 20cv by not bringing the HRC to where it needs to be.

Back