Zt vs traditional emerson

I like my Emerson's and I really like my ZT 0620 and 0630. They are Emerson design/collabs after all, with first rate material and production by ZT. The Emerson ergos and design are what make them more than just the usual ZT (most of their models do not appeal to me). No losing choices here.

I've handled the collab's (ZT), and for some reason I can't really put my finger on, they just don't appeal to me. Same goes for the Hinderer/ZT's.

Emerson has dozens of models to choose from. ZT only has two.

(although if you think about it, it's really only one and a half, seeing as the 0630 is just a 0620 with a skinner blade).

If ZT was licensed to make their own version of the CQC-7 or Commander, I'm sure they'd be pretty popular.

I own many Emerson's, and love them all. I own one Kershaw Emerson, and while it's a nice knife for the price, it's kind of meh, compared to my Emersons. I owned a 0620cf for a while, and it was a very nice knife, but I ended up trading it for an Emerson Specwar with hard chrome coated blade.

I also think that the 0620cf has nothing over my Iron Dragon, which is, IMO, one of the best TI frame lock knives I've ever owned. I also think that my Sheepdog is one of the best flippers I've ever owned.

Both knives have no fit and finish issues. As a matter of fact, I have no issues with the fit and finish on any of my Emersons. I've seen far too many posts from people complaining about stiffness, grittiness, and lock stick right out of the box, and dumping the knife without ever letting it break in. This is lack of experience/knowledge about the product and its design IMO, and not a fit and finish issue.

I also believe that the EKI knives have more "soul" that the ZT's.

The Iron Dragon is a $340-380 knife. The 0620CF is a $240 knife. I would hope that the more expensive knife is superior in some way.

Emerson has dozens of models to choose from. ZT only has two.

(although if you think about it, it's really only one and a half, seeing as the 0630 is just a 0620 with a skinner blade).

If ZT was licensed to make their own version of the CQC-7 or Commander, I'm sure they'd be pretty popular.

The Iron Dragon is a $340-380 knife. The 0620CF is a $240 knife. I would hope that the more expensive knife is superior in some way.

Much smoother action, better ergos (IMO), thinner, and substantially lighter weight. F&F is as good if not better than the ZT.

It is more money, but it is absolutely worth it IMO.

Hello everybody
I have ZT0630. That is a great knife, prefect F&F, nice steel, solid lockup, and its opening like a gunshot without any fancy ball bearings.
After few month of caring ZT I decide to try the "original product" and order the CQC 13. It was expensive - I am lefty, and only way was ordering from the Emerson directly, it was stiff as hell and creaky. But... the ergonomic, blade design and finish was so amazing! It was a first time when I have a filing that I bought a KNIFE :) So the next day I ordered a Gentleman Jim, it was really painful choice between several models - CQC 12, A100, CQC 15, Persian (it`s so amazing!), Karambit.
I`m sorry for may be too expressive message, but these knives became a true revelation for me.

BW Konstantin

^^Very Nice BW Konstantin. I know what you mean by the feeling one can get from a Emerson versus other brands. That feeling is even more so after you spend the time break in the knife and essentially bonding with it. Congratulations on a couple of great choices!

I had a 0630 and have had several Emersons. The ZT was weird to me. It's a big, beefy, overbuilt knife. But it felt fragile in use. I never could get myself to use it like the Emersons or every other knife I've carried. I didn't care for the overly thick blade either (the main reason I usually stay away from ZT's). I know it probably would've taken anything I threw at it but it seemed more like pocket jewelry than a tool, IMO.

i own 2 zt collabs..the 0630 and 0620cf. i prefer my 8 or so emersons to both...but that's me. the zts are nice and prettier without a doubt, but i just like the feel of the emersons better. too each their own though.....

I've become obsessed with getting an Emerson, and dumping my three ZT's. It hasn't happened yet, been looking over various models. The CQC-13 seems like a top choice, that Bowie style looks good. I have nothing like it in my collection. I'll have to get a CQC-7 as well.

^^The ergo's of the CQC-13 is my fave. The blade is fantastic and stronger than most people think including myself! The Wave and thumbdisc is spot on in placement. Hard to go wrong with a 13 and I had mine with me today (posted in edc thread). 7's just classsic!

When I go to buy a knife, the design first and foremost has to aesthetically appeal to me. I don't care if a knife is the greatest in every way imaginable, if it doesn't appeal to me then I know I won't carry it. I personally don't like the tanto design on the 0620. The 0630 blade is interesting however I strongly dislike the pivot design as well as the milling on the g-10. I'm sure that the ZT's are fine knives and would hold up just fine for my everyday use, however they do not appeal to me. There are other designs that Mr. Emerson has produced that I personally enjoy more. If ZT came out with their version of a 7, commander, 22, or 9, my wallet would most likely be significantly lighter.

My zt 0620 Came in yesterday so far I really like it. It doesn't feel cheap I like the blade on it alot fit and finish I would say is probably better the cqc7 I have and the roadhouse Ijust sold.so I would say not the same as a traditional Emerson but worth every penny.

The ZT collabs are really nice and well made, and until the Iron Dragon came out, were a different design than any regular Emerson model. As to ZT in general, I have a 0560 and think it's a great knife with excellent quality. I own several Kershaw collabs, they're ok, but not on par with a real Emerson or ZT. However, they also cost about 10% as much...

I am interested in trying a ZT 0630 or 0620 but have heard some people say the detent can be strong and can be tough on the thumb to open .Last knife I bought was like that and don't want it to happen again . Would appreciate some feedback from you guys that have them , thanks

^^Roll of the dice. I have bought the 0620, 0620CF & 0630. The 0620CF was stronger than I want for a flipper. The 0630 was a touch less than desired and perfect for the tard wrist flicker that want to spook sheeple. Ended up using a file to round of the edge of the detent hole on the blade so it's not as bad on the 0620CF. I ended up not liking the series due to mulitple things that didn't suite my desires/needs. Traditional Emersons for me all the way, so far.

I have a 620 and I don't think the detent was particularly stiff. I would say its weaker then a regular Emerson at least the few i have owned

I'm torn between the zt 0630 and the emerson horseman
It really comes down to a few things. ZT630 has Elmax. Better steel than 154CM. IMO, Emerson uses better G10 texture than ZT. Framelock vs. Liner lock. ZT is also tapped for left or right carry from factory. That's about it...

^^Elmax can be better on paper but I dislike how it chips compared to Emersons 154CM. All from work use experience dealing with a variety of chores (bicycle mechanic, plumber & carpet guy). M390..like it evenless. Both my 0620 & 0630 were put through their paces at/for work and Emerson won over ZT's in resistance to edge damage along with other factors. I messed up the edges of both the ZT's on the 1st day, busted the tip of my 0620CF too in minutes of getting it. My Emersons will go for a few days before the desire to touch up the edge will arrise and have yet to break a tip from use. Abuse, yes from dropping or prying but not during cutting choses. Dull edge is easier to sharpen out than removing chips. ZT's might be "better" steel to folks but I know my Emersons will handle the tasks I put them though with less issues and faster maintenance. I do love my ZT flippers for office days more than my Emersons. Office work is boring and playing with a flipper is fun.

I'm torn between the zt 0630 and the emerson horseman

Here's a pic of the 2 together. Keep in mind that the cutting edge (not the blade length) of the Horseman is actually only a couple millimeter shorter than the 0630's. The ZT weighs a notable bit more. The Horseman is light and that will be also noticed(or not:p) while in pocket in conjunction with it's slenderer profile. Both of the will cut the same IMO. Do keep in mind that the ZT has a thicker blade so it won't go through thick/hard materials like Emerson's 154CM blades will which is cut from thinner sheet stock. Both are great but YMMV.:)

Last edited:
Back