.100" AEB-L Run EDC and Neckers - Completed

Jarod has received the box of blades from the waterjet guys, and opened it up and sent pics. Every knife on this run, except four, had jimping programmed into their CAD files, and to my dismay the jimping is missing on all of them. I have emailed the waterjet company to ask what went wrong and why either nobody noticed, or if they did, why was I not notified and given options before it shipped. Jarod may be able to mill in the jimping for us. I told the waterjet company in the email I sent them that I believe I should invoice them for any extra work Jarod has to do cutting the jimping. Is that unreasonable? I'll find out tomorrow if they think so I guess. Ironic that while I was communicating with them to set up this order, I also created this thread in the GB&U about them: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hai-waterjets-in-trenton-ontario.1902694/ I may need to revise that thread. If anyone thinks I'm off base please say so, and what you think the appropriate response would be to this.

IMG_0389.PNG
IMG_0390.PNG

Jarod has received the box of blades from the waterjet guys, and opened it up and sent pics. Every knife on this run, except four, had jimping programmed into their CAD files, and to my dismay the jimping is missing on all of them. I have emailed the waterjet company to ask what went wrong and why either nobody noticed, or if they did, why was I not notified and given options before it shipped. Jarod may be able to mill in the jimping for us. I told the waterjet company in the email I sent them that I believe I should invoice them for any extra work Jarod has to do cutting the jimping. Is that unreasonable? I'll find out tomorrow if they think so I guess. Ironic that while I was communicating with them to set up this order, I also created this thread in the GB&U about them: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/hai-waterjets-in-trenton-ontario.1902694/ I may need to revise that thread. If anyone thinks I'm off base please say so, and what you think the appropriate response would be to this.

View attachment 2035040
View attachment 2035041

I don't think that is unreasonable if you are 100% certain that the jimping was in the CAD file you sent them. I hope that the jimping can be added after the fact now.

If they wont pay for it, I would be willing to add a little extra to have it added to my Badger Scout, rather than go without.

View attachment 2035040
View attachment 2035041
Will be interesting to see what their take on the issue is, since you did pay for that feature to be cut into the blanks.

Jimping is less of a preference to me, so if push comes to shove, I'd be fine with a Bald Badger Scout.

Mistakes happen, and I don’t think you should alter your post regarding the company as long as they correct the mistake. IMHO they should be responsible for jimping according to the order. Is there any reason that they cannot get the blades back and mill them now?

Is there any reason that they cannot get the blades back and mill them now?

They are in Canada and Jarod now has the blades in the USA.

They should cover the costs incurred to make it right.

This is what I believe as well. I emailed them in the wee hours this morning, and still await a response.

Me personally, I don't like jimping, I think they are Better Without..... But I am in agreement that you Should get what you pay for.....

as an opinion (Mine) from what I've seen in the knife industry..... a Large percentage of venders/service providers Suck at their jobs, and or are scam artists. Big names, too.

Everyone makes mistakes. I get that...... But I'm really surprised how Crappy it is out here. So many screwups.

(sorry if my language was off, I can edit it) It's just frustrating not having control of your product.

a tangent.... I am also smart enough to know that one doesn't want to burn any bridges.
do you Have to use them?
maybe because of location, or speed, or whatever? Now you know that you might have to account for mishaps, and include that into your costing?

*if only a couple people really "demand" jimping, is that something that can be added later by you with Dremel?
I wouldn't do all of them, if it doesn't matter.

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer you know, I never thought about putting in jimping with the dremel. I have been finding all kinds of new uses for diamond bits lately, and I think I could in fact do the jimping with it. Great point. Not as a "going forward" type of thing, but on these, to salvage them. And at the very least, if I don't get at least a decent reply I will downgrade that thread in the GB&U to "mixed".

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer you know, I never thought about putting in jimping with the dremel. I have been finding all kinds of new uses for diamond bits lately, and I think I could in fact do the jimping with it. Great point. Not as a "going forward" type of thing, but on these, to salvage them. And at the very least, if I don't get at least a decent reply I will downgrade that thread in the GB&U to "mixed".
Idk if you ever played with diamond files or not?
But Ive had good success with using them on hardened steel as well. :)

I'm cheering that you get the end results with all this that you wanted... Both with the blades, and the vendor

There is something about a nice precision machine cut jumping jimping that grabs onto my leading finger, like that on the Wharntastic, that just makes using it feel right.

My Kagitsume without jumping jimping is not bad at all, but it's a larger knife that doesn't lend itself to tight precision cutting like the small Wharntastic, and so I don't see myself putting a finger on the spine to get better control of it a lot.

It's a good thing someone like me isn't adding the jumping jimping, or it would make the spine of the knife look like a poorly cut jigsaw puzzle 🤣

IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

Last edited:
precision machine cut jumping that grabs onto my leading finger, like that on the Wharntastic

DocJekl DocJekl actually I cut jimping on that one by hand with a 20 lpi checkering file. That knife is entirely hand made, unlike the ones I get laser or waterjet cut.

Back