4 Cold Steel knives the everyman should have

For medium size knives:

1. Lawman(surprised no one mentioned it yet) - Lawman to Cold Steel is like what a 710 is to Benchmade. It's the first Triad lock that started it all, just like 710 is the first axis. Not to mention that it's the closest substitute to popular knives like PM2, Manix 2 or Griptilian.
2. Ultimate Hunter
3. Mini Recon 1
4. Code 4

Good way to characterize the American Lawman.
In addition, I would include the Ultimate Hunter, the Code 4 and the Recon 1.
Honorable mention to the Hold Out 3.
With knives as solid as these, I don t have a personal need for a fixed blade.

The Code 4 is an awesome knife, and I think it fills the niche of “the gentleman EDC.” Goes well with formal or semi-formal clothes. In case you need to use a knife on the first date (whoa there, for things like opening boxes or cutting rope and such), the Code 4 is less likely to frighten the lady. I love mine.

As for the AD-10, American Lawman, 4-Max Scout—I’ll get those knives eventually and form a more well-informed opinion, hehe.

For medium size knives:

1. Lawman(surprised no one mentioned it yet) - Lawman to Cold Steel is like what a 710 is to Benchmade. It's the first Triad lock that started it all, just like 710 is the first axis. Not to mention that it's the closest substitute to popular knives like PM2, Manix 2 or Griptilian.
2. Ultimate Hunter
3. Mini Recon 1
4. Code 4

The Espada series was also released that same year (2008), so they are co-starters of it all:D

Finally pulled-the-trigger on another Cold Steel today. This time; something a little different than I'm used to. I decided on the Rajah 3, just to see how I would like it. What do you Rajah-owners have to say? This one will make my seventh Cold Steel.

38668_CS62JM-01.jpg

Finally pulled-the-trigger on another Cold Steel today. This time; something a little different than I'm used to. I decided on the Rajah 3, just to see how I would like it. What do you Rajah-owners have to say? This one will make my seventh Cold Steel.

38668_CS62JM-01.jpg
I have the BD1 version and I love it. Rock-solid, feels great in the hand, and cuts really well out-of-the-box. Really underrated utilitarian knife in my opinion. If you don’t mind recurve blades, it’s a winner.

:cool:I'm with you on the Ultimate Hunter, soc_monki. The G10 on these Cold Steel models is awesome. It perfectly meshes on the frames, with no hot-spots. At least, that's the way my AD-10 came from the factory. Many appreciate the Hunter as a more "carry-friendly" knife. But, YMMV.

:cool:I'm with you on the Ultimate Hunter, soc_monki. The G10 on these Cold Steel models is awesome. It perfectly meshes on the frames, with no hot-spots. At least, that's the way my AD-10 came from the factory. Many appreciate the Hunter as a more "carry-friendly" knife. But, YMMV.

The AD10 is probably my most comfortable knife. It's literally like a folding fixed blade, very ergonomic. I imagine the ultimate hunter is just as good! And I'm still really impressed with the 4max Scout! People talk about the threshold of price and quality, and there's a few knives that I think are worth way more than their selling price. For 83 bucks the 4max is probably at the top of the heap! So much material... If it had G10 scales it would feel even more quality! Have to say the griv-ex does feel good. Was kind of worried when people said it's like skateboard grip tape, but it honestly is a lot subtler than that.

Really wonder how cold steels 8cr13mov is. The sr-1 lite is really tempting...

I don't think the Ultimate Hunter is quite as comfortable. It is good though. AD-10 is king. Full liners. Exudes quality.
These kind of comments add to my intrigue with the AD10. I think my Ultimate Hunter is very comfortable in hand and as strong as I have ever needed a knife to be. I imagine the AD 10 is built even stronger with the liners, but I keep thinking that the added weight may not be worth it to me with my uses. And the price is more than I generally pay for knives these days. But I remain interested.

These kind of comments add to my intrigue with the AD10. I think my Ultimate Hunter is very comfortable in hand and as strong as I have ever needed a knife to be. I imagine the AD 10 is built even stronger with the liners, but I keep thinking that the added weight may not be worth it to me with my uses. And the price is more than I generally pay for knives these days. But I remain interested.
I’m actually considering getting an UH in the future, but unfortunately it’s overpriced in my country. Looks like a robust knife and the proportions appeal to me.

Lawman or XL Voyager.
Bushman hollow handle - drop point
Peacemaker or recon 1 fixed.
A machete - probs black bear

I can't go AD10 because I resent the price.

Sure, added weight, width and cost. But all decisions can't be practical, right?

Back