4 Cold Steel knives the everyman should have

These kind of comments add to my intrigue with the AD10. I think my Ultimate Hunter is very comfortable in hand and as strong as I have ever needed a knife to be. I imagine the AD 10 is built even stronger with the liners, but I keep thinking that the added weight may not be worth it to me with my uses. And the price is more than I generally pay for knives these days. But I remain interested.
I'm actually dealing with a similar dilemma... I have an AD-10 and wholly agree and echo it's praise. It was the 4th or 5th CS I ever handled and it wowed me still. First impressions were like "ok, so this is what an AD Cold Steel knife is like...". I have to send my AD-10 back for blade centering issues (which still didn't affect the action/lockup of the knife). I happen to be aware of a deal with the AD-10 that makes it very close to the price of an Ultimate Hunter. Furthermore, I have a 4Max Scout on the way that assumably might fill that role in my collection. Decisions, decisions...

Regarding the thread's original proposition, I'm also surprised the American Lawman didn't make it into the top 4. I think it is the best CS knife to fill that EDC-friendly, least-threatening, overall general utility role. Then again, I don't have a Code 4 and haven't considered one due to the slick metal scales.

These three have jelled into being my top three; with the Voyager in the number four spot.

lUdaRJEh.jpg

Qvco4Z3h.jpg

Decided to come up with a utilitarian list that would be useful to every gentleman regardless of profession, age, or budget range. Be it for EDC, house chores, recreational camping, urban survival, or last resort self-defense, I think at least one of these knives should fit those roles. Hope it’s an entertaining read.
I've already commented on this thread but I don't think I actually listed my 4. Either way, I just got a new CS today so here's my revised (or first) list. According to OP's requirements:
1. EDC: American Lawman
2. House chores: AD-10 (I wanted to pick American Lawman again for this one but you asked for 4 diff knives so)
3. Survival (rural or urban): 4Max Scout (my newest addition :D)
4. SD: Recon 1 (hands down) with the Snaggletooth mod

Honorable mention/additional category: AD-15 because it's one of the coolest, nicest knives CS has ever produced IMO.

And here's some pics because this thread doesn't have enough:
4E8CLAJ.jpg

VW3ua0G.jpg
lr61Nug.jpg
fFnCSaB.jpg

I've already commented on this thread but I don't think I actually listed my 4. Either way, I just got a new CS today so here's my revised (or first) list. According to OP's requirements:
1. EDC: American Lawman
2. House chores: AD-10 (I wanted to pick American Lawman again for this one but you asked for 4 diff knives so)
3. Survival (rural or urban): 4Max Scout (my newest addition :D)
4. SD: Recon 1 (hands down) with the Snaggletooth mod

Honorable mention/additional category: AD-15 because it's one of the coolest, nicest knives CS has ever produced IMO.

And here's some pics because this thread doesn't have enough:
4E8CLAJ.jpg

VW3ua0G.jpg
lr61Nug.jpg
fFnCSaB.jpg
Three rock-solid folders and one mean EDC machine. Nice.

Four? Only four? Wow, that eliminates some very good knives but ... if it's four one must have then:

AD-10; my very favorite folding knife - period!
4-Max Scout; just because - and it won't bankrupt you.
Recon-1; but for the the AD-10 - it would be my favorite folder.
Large Voyager; bang for the buck, punches at (and above) it's not too heavy weight, big enough yet small enough.

SRK in SK5; talk about value.
Drop Forge Hunter; one tough hunting knife.
Master Hunter; I've dressed and skinned more deer and other critters with this than I can remember.
Drop Forge Survivalist; if I had to explain - you wouldn't understand.

There's my four ;) "must haves."

If we're talking "should haves" then:
4-max
Trail Master and a few others.

This was tough - I need a break now.

Last edited:
Four? Only four? Wow, that eliminates some very good knives but ... if it's four one must have then:

AD-10; my very favorite folding knife - period!
4-Max Scout; just because - and it won't bankrupt you.
Recon-1; but for the the AD-10 - it would be my favorite folder.
Large Voyager; bang for the buck, punches at (and above) it's not to heavy weight, big enough yet small enough.

SRK in SK5; talk about value.
Drop Forge Hunter; one tough hunting knife.
Master Hunter; I've dressed and skinned more deer and other critters with this than I can remember.
Drop Forge Survivalist; if I had to explain - you wouldn't understand.

There's my four ;) "must haves."

If we're talking "should haves" then:
4-max
Trail Master and a few others.

This was tough - I need a break now.
Hehehe, it was just a thought experiment, friend. I wanted to see what are the four bet-your-life knives that the everyman user (not collector or accumulator) can rely on 100% of the time. Four was just something I pulled out of a hat. Of course you SHOULD have more than four lmao.

The Spartan is one of my favorites. Fun work knife to have.

Yep. Mine is jelling into the collection nicely:

P28EzfNh.jpg

If you can afford the titanium 4 Max, its also a show-stopper! You can still get-these for under $250 bucks, if you know where to look. I'm looking to add another to the stable.

mXBEkqah.jpg

Last edited:
I carry my tuff lite and xl voyager half serrated tanto a ton.

I miss my aforementioned lost ultimate hunter.

The broken skull seems like a winner, I need to try one of those.

Otherwise, the one I'd like to try out is the xl espada. Seems like a winner.

Back