Best midsize combat utility

As far as a current model available directly from the shop. You can’t go wrong with the HR2.

Good luck with your search,
Surfsidemel

TGULB is my personal favorite, but hr2 and tac jac are very good as well. Do you have any specific requirements or preferences?

Can't comment on the TGULB or the HR2 having not yet owned either, but I can say that the SJTAC7 currently on the website is a fantastic choice.

The handle is very comfy, one of my most favorite Busse handles of all I've tried so far.

It's big enough to serve as a one tool option and can do some respectable chopping, yet you can choke up on it and use it for finer work and it's super well balanced in the choked up position.

The way the handle transitions into the thumb ramp just works so very well, yet, if you don't like thumb ramps, you can just move your hand slightly forward and it will feel like it doesn't even have a thumb ramp because of the straight spine.

The geometry is great, it looks good, it's made of INFI, what's not to love?

I'm continually impressed with how well balanced it is in its capabilities and what it can do.

Succinctly put, this thing just works!

I will say however, it's more a camp and utility type blade than a combat option IMO.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention that it's worth trying to hunt down some of the Scrap Yard models like the DB-321, DB-322, DB -421, and of course the famous Regulators! If you haven't yet had a Res-C handled knife, you're missing out! These are all SR-101 though, not INFI, so if your partial to INFI, these won't suffice.

Those Scrap Yard options are likely better suited to the combat/utility side of things than the SJTAC7 I'd imagine based on design.

So i now have a beating heart and a tgulb and I'm not entirely sure which one i want to keep. Esthetically, i prefer the tgulb but I'm not convinced the beating heart won't prove to be an overall better/more useful design. Any thoughts?

So i now have a beating heart and a tgulb and I'm not entirely sure which one i want to keep.
That's because your statement is incorrect. I'll attempt to fix it for you...
So I now have a beating heart and a tgulb and I want to keep both of them.
Say it out loud - see how it feels...repeat, as needed.
Any thoughts?
Have you used them yet? You can't decide which is a better fit FOR YOU by looking at them or asking us. Use them separately to get some baseline impressions; then get out with both of them and compare during a variety of tasks. You may prefer one aesthetically, but find the other feels better in hand during use.

Everyone is a little different when it comes to handle shape and fit. I loved my TGULB until I got my hands on the Liberty Heart. I liked it so much better that I sold the TGULB and picked up a Dirt Dart (same handle as the Liberty Heart but a bit smaller blade) these two now fill the 6.5" - 7" knife size role for me.

That's because your statement is incorrect. I'll attempt to fix it for you...
So I now have a beating heart and a tgulb and I want to keep both of them.
Say it out loud - see how it feels...repeat, as needed.

Have you used them yet? You can't decide which is a better fit FOR YOU by looking at them or asking us. Use them separately to get some baseline impressions; then get out with both of them and compare during a variety of tasks. You may prefer one aesthetically, but find the other feels better in hand during use.
I do appreciate your reply and do agree and would sure love to to that! But I can't ok won't. So basically I want something that can chop well for the length every thing else really is secondary. I was talking to Gary Fadden about combat utility design and he said "the real test for modern combat knives is how well they spread peanut butter" I have watched some reviews but there really aren't that many videos on Busse . The sjtac7 looks like it has a better chopper design than others in that class. I am talking ones that are currently available. Not old ones that I would never spend the kind of money people want. This is just an expensive tool to me. Not a collector item. Thank you all for your time. This is great! I'm new to Busse and learning a lot.

The forward weight distribution of a reduced-tang, Resiprene-handled knife is more effective for chopping than that of a full-tang knife with the same blade length/thickness. The Resiprene is also more ergonomic IMO, insulating against heat, cold and vibration. And the light weight overall compared to a full-tang knife makes it easy to carry and nimble to use.👍

Last edited:
Back