Best midsize combat utility

IMG_0142.jpeg
The Heavy Ordnance Grade Basic 8 (8” blade), with its .35” thick blade on a .23” thick reduced tang is a monster chopper for its size and weighs just over a pound. This is the long-clip model (AKA War Feather)—this one was further modified after market with the addition of a swedge, removing another ounce of weight. 👍

Deleted because it disappeared before I was finished, then showed up after I retyped and posted.

See my post below.

*edited to throw this in before my next post:

I do appreciate your reply and do agree and would sure love to to that! But I can't ok won't...
If you notice, the post you quoted was not directed at you. It was aimed squarely at the person I had quoted.

Now my next post is messed up because, in my pre-caffeine daze, I didn't realize that you weren't him. Most of it is still applicable, except the mentions of the Beating Heart, which I don't think is currently available.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen it mentioned (edit, now I see it was mentioned), but I think the normal sized Regulator would fit this role perfectly.
I know there are numerous versions, but I believe mine is hollow ground? Yet it's still robust.
Very well balanced for a knife this size.

So you're now saying you don't want the best midsize combat utility, you want the best chopper in a range that doesn't accel at chopping?
For your initial request I would have voted TGULB, SJ TAC7, then Beating Heart. For a chopper, I'd reverse the order (though I suspect I would struggle a bit with the handle in that role)

*Be careful if you try the peanut butter test with the TGULB - you don't want to get that stuff in the fuller.

**If your focus is on chopping, the answer is Forget about this midsize stuff & get a Battle Mistress.

Top two chop pretty darn well. The one on the bottom feels like it would chop even better. I just haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_120319__01.jpg
    IMG_20240416_120319__01.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 8
Not super recent, but probably not too difficult to find a Desert Storm Fighter (DSF) or a Desert Storm Stealth Fighter (all black combo version- DSSF) on the X. 8" blade.

Otherwise, combat utility is what the Team Gemini line was created for, & there are plenty of versions. 🤙

DSF vvv

20211030_024926-01.jpegFB_IMG_1541025349340.jpg

Silent knight will get you by.
WJPr1bb.jpg

If you have a smaller hand like me and are willing to accept less than 7", I recommend the DDSH. If it seems too small to you and you prefer larger handles, I recommend the TGUL.

Honest question. How often are knives used in combat? Are you being deployed? Are you allowed to take a personal knife in theater?

Dedicated fighting knives and service utility knives have little in common. Outside of Tier 1 operators, who actually carries a fighting knife? Do even they carry one?

Define the function first, and work from there. This question has come up many times over the last 15 years. The consensus is that most grunts are well served by a solid utility knife, of which the Bussekin universe offers many.

So you're now saying you don't want the best midsize combat utility, you want the best chopper in a range that doesn't accel at chopping?
For your initial request I would have voted TGULB, SJ TAC7, then Beating Heart. For a chopper, I'd reverse the order (though I suspect I would struggle a bit with the handle in that role)

*Be careful if you try the peanut butter test with the TGULB - you don't want to get that stuff in the fuller.

**If your focus is on chopping, the answer is Forget about this midsize stuff & get a Battle Mistress.
Got the big choppers pretty much covered. Although always room for another!

Shucks posted before I was done ! I want a mid size that chops okay. Thank you everyone for sharing

Th
View attachment 2552047
The Heavy Ordnance Grade Basic 8 (8” blade), with its .35” thick blade on a .23” thick reduced tang is a monster chopper for its size and weighs just over a pound. This is the long-clip model (AKA War Feather)—this one was further modified after market with the addition of a swedge, removing another ounce of weight. 👍
That is awesome!!

If you want a midsize That is a very good chopper.

The Beating Heart is the new Queen of the midsize.

Honest question. How often are knives used in combat? Are you being deployed? Are you allowed to take a personal knife in theater?

Dedicated fighting knives and service utility knives have little in common. Outside of Tier 1 operators, who actually carries a fighting knife? Do even they carry one?

Define the function first, and work from there. This question has come up many times over the last 15 years. The consensus is that most grunts are well served by a solid utility knife, of which the Bussekin universe offers many.
So do you have a suggestion? Your opinion on my first question?

Back