"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Trout fishing was my thing as well Gary I spent a great deal of my spare time camped in the woods near a trout stream those hot summer days were well spent wading the old mountain streams here in Western North Carolina.
I was blessed to have spent my entire life from birth in these old mountains and I do mean old they are among the oldest on earth at 1.2 billion years old. Lots of lore to these old mountains from ferral people living hidden in these mountains to the ghost of Helens Bridge to the Ghost of Fiddlers Rock and on and on not to mention the stories passed down from my maternal grandmother she was full Native American, Eastern Band Cherokee the Anitsiskwa or
Bird Clan and told us many native tales like those of the "Little People"a Cherokee Legend.
To me one of the greatest pleasures I enjoyed in life was to be in a stream just as the sun was coming up and the morning mist drapped over the water as those first gleams of light danced on the surface when all of a sudden you see that first fish of the day break through that surface and attact the fly that you tied yourself and the fight was on. You land that fish with just one thing on your mind
LUNCH. I would be happy to post pictures but my ex destroyed them (imagine that) so here's some shots of the area I live in.
View attachment 2566902

View attachment 2566903View attachment 2566908
View attachment 2566910
Beautiful country, Randy.

Well, I've had a mess of little ones lately, but I got into a hawg yesterday. 3 pounds 4 ounces!

5451AB16-590E-402C-ABD8-06AF7139D799.jpg

To you who live north enough, who's been able to see the Auroras from the current G4, G5 level coronal discharges?
San Diego is too far south. Seeing the aurora is on my bucket list.

It's on my bucket list too, Frank. Some folks outside Austin saw it last night, but I couldn't see anything here in town. The photos I saw posted appeared to be pretty subtle, just a faint red or purple glow, but very cool nonetheless.

To you who live north enough, who's been able to see the Auroras from the current G4, G5 level coronal discharges?
San Diego is too far south. Seeing the aurora is on my bucket list.

It's on my bucket list too, Frank. Some folks outside Austin saw it last night, but I couldn't see anything here in town. The photos I saw posted appeared to be pretty subtle, just a faint red or purple glow, but very cool nonetheless.
The lights are worth the effort to see them if you can. I saw them several times when I lived in the U.P. A spectacle unlike any other. I looked last night and did not see them, but I was a little early and I don't have the best angle of view to the north.

Still supposed to be happening tonight.
If I fall asleep at the soundboard tomorrow, too bad.
I don't worry much about being replaced there.

I'll see what viewing advice the Old Farmer's Almanac has.
[None, of course. They didn't predict the increased solar activity.]
I did it the old fashioned way with google: best chance of seeing the northern lights will be after dark.

Last edited:
They have been going off for a few days here in MN. I have not seen them yet, but all kinds of friends are posting them on FB. We are far enough north that we see them at least a couple of times a year. My best views have been on a boat on the St. Croix.

There's another solar whatsit making tonight a possibility also.
I didn't try very hard last night. I can see a bit of northern sky from my bed, so I just peeked out whenever I woke up.

I think I saw them once before, anyway. I remember someone making us get out of bed and go outside to look at a dim and distant light show.
I don't think it was church camp, and I don't think it was Nature Center camp, so maybe it was a former life.

Night of the Comet was a fun movie.

Speaking of the solar system, it makes me ridiculously happy to use these Portuguese corn-on-the-cob dishes, pictured here with Portuguese knives. The non-locking one came from Johnny the Fox's Iberian motorcycle tour.
iJ8xizv.jpg

The 200 year cicada breeding cycles have aligned and they have begun to arrive in my home state of Missouri. They apparently cannot sting or bite people, but they are loud and kind of annoying. Supposedly they are also edible, although I will NOT be testing that particular theory. My dog does seem to like them though :)

Might need to look closely at this photo, but the additional brown stuff on the ground is not mulch :oops:

Last edited:
The 200 year cicada breeding cycles have aligned and they have begun to arrive in my home state of Missouri. They apparently cannot sting or bite people, but they are loud and kind of annoying. Supposedly they are also edible, although I will NOT be testing that particular theory. My dog does seem to like them though :)

Might need to look closely at this photo, but the additional brown stuff on the ground is not mulch :oops:

We had a visit from the Onondaga Brood VII in 2018. The particular brood was attributed with the saving the lives of the Onondaga Indians shortly after the Revolutionary War. The Onondagas had sided with the British and George Washington was out to destroy them all (as the story is told). They were starving when the cicadas visited and they became a source of food during that time.
Anyway, their latest visit was in 2018 and they were everywhere. They didn't look too tasty to me though.
Zo1QWRu.jpg

k3S7NFH.jpg

Last edited:
We had a visit from the Onondaga Brood VII in 2018. The particular brood was attributed with the saving the lives of the Onondaga Indians shortly after the Revolutionary War. The Onondagas had sided with the British and George Washington was out to destroy them all (as the story is told). They were starving when the cicadas visited and they became a source of food during that time.
Anyway, their latest visit was in 2018 and they were everywhere. The didn't look too tasty to me though.
Ugly as sin, but when you are hungry . . . . . . . . . . . . ?????????
😲 😂 😂

Anyway, their latest visit was in 2018 and they were everywhere. The didn't look too tasty to me though.
Zo1QWRu.jpg

k3S7NFH.jpg

There is a local place that is using them in some tacos, my sister is trying to convince me to try them but I can’t get past the wings. And the eyes - yikes.

Back