"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Welp, I opened the can of worms with my last post, might as fish.

Last fall I went on a church sanctioned hayride. I didn't go to the church, but new some people that did and had attended some of the activities when my own church schedule allowed it. Well, This gent I sat next to told me the history of the country we were riding through, and mostly it was pretty interesting. As we came to a nice lake, that is somewhat hidden by a large hill, I asked who owns that and If he thought that I might be granted permission to fish there. I was told, the name (which at the time I forgot) and that no, he doesn't let hardly anyone fish.

Well, I ended up starting to attend this church, and Saturday was a huge community yardsale. I ended up talking to the sister of the guy that I talked to on the hayride. I asked her about the lake... she said that she thought the owner might (as in there was a possibility) grant me permission. I was told he also was a Christian. It was too late when we went back by there.

Well Sunday, after service I was talking to the pastor and told him about it, he didn't have any idea. Well, I felt it was a good time to stop by. I asked the pastor to say a prayer over me, which he did. I went to see the owner of the lake named Ron. After knocking a while, it took him a bit to come out, but after a few minutes of conversion I was granted permission to fish.

I knew beforehand that he was a police officer, so I thanked him for his service to the community. I informed him I was a catch and release angler, and that I wouldn't leave any garbage, and that I'd remove any I found. That I wouldn't bring others without asking first, and it would be only me and my family (wife and 4 year old and newborn).

I stopped up the drive, and was going to walk over and test the waters a bit, and a police officer came up and asked if I had permission to be fishing there. I said yes, and he was surprised, we chatted a minute and it turns out it was the owner's son.

So I fished about an hour, and caught 3 bass, and had 2 other strikes. When I returned to the car, the wife said a younger woman came by and questioned what we were doing. My wife said, my husband is fishing. and the girl was surprised when she found out we had permission.

So the Lord has blessed me to find a good fishing spot, right next to church. Furthermore, it's not just a spot, but a spot that very few people are granted permission to fish. So God has blessed me and given me favor and I Praise Him for it! I have permission to come fish anytime.

I didn't have my phone for pics, the bass I caught, of the 3, the largest weighted 1 pound 9 ounces. The other two were probably legal length of 12". They were all caught on a squarebill crankbait. Then I had one miss on the crank. And I had a strike on my popper but missed the hookset there.
Sounds like a fish story to me!

I'm a trout stream fisherman. My favorite is dry fly fishing, but I'll occasionally spin fish. I mostly fish streams close to home, 20 or 30 minutes away, for Browns and Brookies. Sometimes I'll catch a Rainbow.

I like to eat fish, but trout is not my favorite so I'm a catch-and-release fisherman. I even file down the barbs on the flies and lures I use, to minimize damage to the fish.

I haven't been on the stream yet this year. It's been one thing after another keeping me away. I'm chomping at the bit though!

Here are a few older pics.
72mAZ2Q.jpg

PO6tw7G.jpg

tqse9PG.jpg

I'm a trout stream fisherman. My favorite is dry fly fishing, but I'll occasionally spin fish. I mostly fish streams close to home, 20 or 30 minutes away, for Browns and Brookies. Sometimes I'll catch a Rainbow.

I like to eat fish, but trout is not my favorite so I'm a catch-and-release fisherman. I even file down the barbs on the flies and lures I use, to minimize damage to the fish.

I haven't been on the stream yet this year. It's been one thing after another keeping me away. I'm chomping at the bit though!

Here are a few older pics.
72mAZ2Q.jpg

PO6tw7G.jpg

tqse9PG.jpg
Very nice fish and pictures too. Something about fishing gear, especially fly equipment is photographic.

I mostly target Largemouth Bass. Once in a while I'll actively target another species, when fishing with worms we target sunfish/bluegill. But... my boy is more into worm fishing than I am. I've not caught any variety of trout. Though they stock trout in the lake I most normally fish, but I don't use lures conducive to trout much. I think they stock rainbows. Here, you can't keep them without a special trout stamp. I would like to catch one. I enjoy catching a new species.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the well wishes and prayers. Poor little historic Sulphur was so devastated that they are just bringing in demolition equipment to remove everything. Everything in the path has been condemned. Houses destroyed up to 10 miles out. But, if you have never been involved in something like this, it is amazing how many people come to the rescue. Mercy Chefs serving thousands of meals a day, Samaritans Purse clean up and tarping peoples houses, Minutemen Disaster Relief clearing trees and brush, Red Cross, Veterans Affairs, Bill Graham Foundation, on and on and on. They roll into town in the middle of the night and go to work. Not to mention all the local and semi-local groups and communities coming to help. The schools bus fleet was left inoperable and schools from all around sent loaners. Just something to watch the Christ gather his people around disasters. Proctor Gamble, Lowes, and dozens of other organizations sending food, water, personal kits, sanitation kits, etc. We will be working on this for years; but it is heartwarming to see so many people come to the aid of a small Oklahoma town.

Many thanks for the well wishes and prayers. Poor little historic Sulphur was so devastated that they are just bringing in demolition equipment to remove everything. Everything in the path has been condemned. Houses destroyed up to 10 miles out. But, if you have never been involved in something like this, it is amazing how many people come to the rescue. Mercy Chefs serving thousands of meals a day, Samaritans Purse clean up and tarping peoples houses, Minutemen Disaster Relief clearing trees and brush, Red Cross, Veterans Affairs, Bill Graham Foundation, on and on and on. They roll into town in the middle of the night and go to work. Not to mention all the local and semi-local groups and communities coming to help. The schools bus fleet was left inoperable and schools from all around sent loaners. Just something to watch the Christ gather his people around disasters. Proctor Gamble, Lowes, and dozens of other organizations sending food, water, personal kits, sanitation kits, etc. We will be working on this for years; but it is heartwarming to see so many people come to the aid of a small Oklahoma town.
Glad to hear you are OK, Mike! It's great to hear that the good people in your city are getting the help they need.

Glad you and your family are OK :thumbsup:
My little town of Hartsburg, Missouri got flooded in 1993. I was renting and had 6 feet of water in my apartment. The Mennonites came to help. So did a bunch of plumbers form Hoboken, New Jersey. I must have had 8 or 9 offers of a place to stay. Half of them from people I barely knew. Disasters are horrible and disruptive and deadly, but Americans are, by and large, pretty great when the rubber meets the road.

figures. 🤔🤨
In the mid-70's today. 👍 (with "light" rain. 👎)
Sunday through Saturday next is supposed to be near "refrigerator weather" to "refrigerator weather" during the day, approaching "freezer weather" (at/under "frozen") at night.. ☹️👎

I sure "wish" Ms. Summer would get here.... 🙄

Viva La Mexico!
Cinco de Mayo

GettyImages-97346318.jpg

https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/cinco-de-mayo
Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The day, which falls on Sunday, May 5 in 2024, is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican American populations.

San Diego qualifies.

Not in this neck of the woods, it isn't. ;)

Seriously, in So Cal Cinco de Mayo is a big deal. I will stay indoors tonight. Shooting guns into the air is a popular form of celebration. And what goes up, must come down.

Trout fishing was my thing as well Gary I spent a great deal of my spare time camped in the woods near a trout stream those hot summer days were well spent wading the old mountain streams here in Western North Carolina.
I was blessed to have spent my entire life from birth in these old mountains and I do mean old they are among the oldest on earth at 1.2 billion years old. Lots of lore to these old mountains from ferral people living hidden in these mountains to the ghost of Helens Bridge to the Ghost of Fiddlers Rock and on and on not to mention the stories passed down from my maternal grandmother she was full Native American, Eastern Band Cherokee the Anitsiskwa or
Bird Clan and told us many native tales like those of the "Little People"a Cherokee Legend.
To me one of the greatest pleasures I enjoyed in life was to be in a stream just as the sun was coming up and the morning mist drapped over the water as those first gleams of light danced on the surface when all of a sudden you see that first fish of the day break through that surface and attact the fly that you tied yourself and the fight was on. You land that fish with just one thing on your mind
LUNCH. I would be happy to post pictures but my ex destroyed them (imagine that) so here's some shots of the area I live in.
3v8gA7C[1].jpg

tominLZ[1].jpgNwkEGMm[1].jpg
V7sV97W[1].jpg

Trout fishing was my thing as well Gary I spent a great deal of my spare time camped in the woods near a trout stream those hot summer days were well spent wading the old mountain streams here in Western North Carolina.
I was blessed to have spent my entire life from birth in these old mountains and I do mean old they are among the oldest on earth at 1.2 billion years old. Lots of lore to these old mountains from ferral people living hidden in these mountains to the ghost of Helens Bridge to the Ghost of Fiddlers Rock and on and on not to mention the stories passed down from my maternal grandmother she was full Native American, Eastern Band Cherokee the Anitsiskwa or
Bird Clan and told us many native tales like those of the "Little People"a Cherokee Legend.
To me one of the greatest pleasures I enjoyed in life was to be in a stream just as the sun was coming up and the morning mist drapped over the water as those first gleams of light danced on the surface when all of a sudden you see that first fish of the day break through that surface and attact the fly that you tied yourself and the fight was on. You land that fish with just one thing on your mind
LUNCH. I would be happy to post pictures but my ex destroyed them (imagine that) so here's some shots of the area I live in.
View attachment 2566902

View attachment 2566903View attachment 2566908
View attachment 2566910
Those are great memories and beautiful country, Randy!

Back