Gear Thread

man, I just gotta sing Danner's praises a bit here; I picked up some kicks the beginning of november which were on sale at 50% off so like $190cdn. Real nice; suede with gore tex, vibram, super super comfortable for the morning hike. I little bit of the eva at the forefoot started peeling off a bit. No huge structural issue, but I submitted a warranty claim anyway, even though it probably wouldn't be covered.

Well, they covered it! Their policy for international is they give a promo code for 99% off another pair of kicks around the same value. Once you get the new shoes and are happy with em, you can cut the tongues outta the old shoes and send a pic for a full refund. For the $25 it cost me to get a brand new $380 kicks, I think I'll hang on to my old pair! In the end, I have $770 worth of foot pants, which I paid $215 for!

This is why there are 8, (going on 9) pair of Danners in this house. Customer service is #1

man, I just gotta sing Danner's praises a bit here; I picked up some kicks the beginning of november which were on sale at 50% off so like $190cdn. Real nice; suede with gore tex, vibram, super super comfortable for the morning hike. I little bit of the eva at the forefoot started peeling off a bit. No huge structural issue, but I submitted a warranty claim anyway, even though it probably wouldn't be covered.

Well, they covered it! Their policy for international is they give a promo code for 99% off another pair of kicks around the same value. Once you get the new shoes and are happy with em, you can cut the tongues outta the old shoes and send a pic for a full refund. For the $25 it cost me to get a brand new $380 kicks, I think I'll hang on to my old pair! In the end, I have $770 worth of foot pants, which I paid $215 for!

This is why there are 8, (going on 9) pair of Danners in this house. Customer service is #1

I can say that I’m a lurker of Danner sales and will buy a pair of boots to sit in the box for a couple years just because the clearance prices can be so good and I know I’ll wear them eventually. I just picked up a pair of the Mountain 600’s for $114 shipped and they’ve been excellent! I will for sure be buying a pair to set aside when I wear these out.

I had a pair of the Elk Hunters that started leaking after about 8 years of use, they’d get wet from the bottom up which was strange. The leather on these boots was cared for but really scratched from small game hunting and walking through briars/brush that I figured I’d be out of luck for warranty replacement but they covered them and told my local shop to give me a new pair. They’re still going strong another 10 years later.

New Apache hard case for some of my torches.

GGHwn4V.jpg

RZuFLdV.jpg

AaR5aGG.jpg

I am not much of a flashlight nerd. I think I carried and used a Streamlight ProTac 2L for around 10 years and it has the wear to show for it. I got myself a new light a few months ago, a Surefire G2X. As I get older, I want less crap in my pockets and I'm tired of pocket clips always breaking off or catching on stuff (a common issue I had with the Streamlight), so I went with something that I can carry in a belt pouch.

I've been pretty happy with it, except that when I sit down, especially in the car, it gets compressed and it turns on - inadvertently draining the battery. I carry it around 2 o'clock and based on my needs and other stuff I carry, that is an ideal position for me. It appears that the button protrudes to a point that it gets depressed when the light gets pushed down into the pouch.

Do any of you fellas, more knowledgeable on flashlights than I, know if there is a tailcap replacement that has a flat button or some other alternative that I could check out?

OlnapzT.jpg

I've been pretty happy with it, except that when I sit down, especially in the car, it gets compressed and it turns on - inadvertently draining the battery. I carry it around 2 o'clock and based on my needs and other stuff I carry, that is an ideal position for me. It appears that the button protrudes to a point that it gets depressed when the light gets pushed down into the pouch.

Do any of you fellas, more knowledgeable on flashlights than I, know if there is a tailcap replacement that has a flat button or some other alternative that I could check out?
You could always just slightly unscrew the head or tailcap to prevent it from turning on.

I am not much of a flashlight nerd. I think I carried and used a Streamlight ProTac 2L for around 10 years and it has the wear to show for it. I got myself a new light a few months ago, a Surefire G2X. As I get older, I want less crap in my pockets and I'm tired of pocket clips always breaking off or catching on stuff (a common issue I had with the Streamlight), so I went with something that I can carry in a belt pouch.

OlnapzT.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an aftermarket flush fit switch for the G2X, or a shrouded tailcap. I wish they had simply designed the tail similarly to how Streamlight did on their PolyTac:

IMG_6768.jpeg

OlnapzT.jpg
Get a plastic soda cap. Put it over the end of the flash light while it's on your holster.
You can drill a small hole in the center of the soda cap and loop in a rubber band, then loop that around the into the belt loop of the holster. This will keep the cap from falling out or getting lost when you use the light. You also won't have to fumble with it b/c it's attached.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. It is a bit of a mystery why they don't utilize a shrouded cap for the GX2. My Streamlight ProTac has one - seems like a sensible thing to do on a light.

Agreed. It's also a mystery because Surefire offers other models with excellent tail shrouds. My E2D Defender has a serious shroud on it and it's practically impossible to accidentally click the tail switch.

Back