• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad I paid Schenk Knives $10,000... months later no knives, no refund

I agree It'll be more effective to get a lawyer. But I am just curious how much the lawyer will charge.
It's around 50k from start to finish. They can be forced to pay that money in addition to the original though if I won (which I don't think would be difficult).

Sorry no updates just yet guys, will post as soon as I know more.

It's around 50k from start to finish. They can be forced to pay that money in addition to the original though if I won (which I don't think would be difficult).

Sorry no updates just yet guys, will post as soon as I know more.
To pick an important nit here, they can become legally obligated to pay and you would gain collection remedies. However, if they have no assets, your legal judgment is just a piece of paper. I hope it doesn't come to that.

To pick an important nit here, they can become legally obligated to pay and you would gain collection remedies. However, if they have no assets, your legal judgment is just a piece of paper. I hope it doesn't come to that.
^^^^^^^^^^^I was just about to post this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One addition to the above is that, in some states, you can go after their personal assets in addition to the corp assets (again, depending on state, you may have to show fraud to do this)

Probably worth you or lawyer reaching out directly to Norman in case the demand letter didn't reach the actual owner and only the CEO who seems to be playing CYA.

Hey Josh, not sure what state your in, but in North Carolina what happened to you is a criminal offense (N.C.G.S. § 14-104. Obtaining advances under promise to work and pay for same. Which is a misdemeanor. and possibly N.C.G.S. 14-100 Obtaining Property by False Pretense. Which is a Felony).

I suggest you file a police report with your local agency. You're the victim of a crime. Also, this would be considered a Fraud case, so Zane living in another state makes no difference. Plus, the D.A.'s office then becomes your attorney, but for free. Cost you nothing and if it goes to trail the judge should order restitution (although most likely it will be plea deal instead of a trial, but you would still get restitution as part of that deal).

I'm here searching for info on heat treat ovens. I built my own oven and I believe I wired something wrong. However, while digging around old posts looking for answers, I came across this thread. Thought I would add a little more info., something for you to consider. Good Luck.

Hey Josh, not sure what state your in, but in North Carolina what happened to you is a criminal offense (N.C.G.S. § 14-104. Obtaining advances under promise to work and pay for same. Which is a misdemeanor. and possibly N.C.G.S. 14-100 Obtaining Property by False Pretense. Which is a Felony).

I suggest you file a police report with your local agency. You're the victim of a crime. Also, this would be considered a Fraud case, so Zane living in another state makes no difference. Plus, the D.A.'s office then becomes your attorney, but for free. Cost you nothing and if it goes to trail the judge should order restitution (although most likely it will be plea deal instead of a trial, but you would still get restitution as part of that deal).

I'm here searching for info on heat treat ovens. I built my own oven and I believe I wired something wrong. However, while digging around old posts looking for answers, I came across this thread. Thought I would add a little more info., something for you to consider. Good Luck.
Thank you so much, I'll check into this đź‘Ť

Very good advise. Has REK's lawyer suggested this, and if no, why not? That's why they get paid the big bucks.

Hello Josh ,

Truly sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope this ends soon for you with full restitution

Thanks guys for everyone's sentiments and insights, they are greatly appreciated! I called the local sheriff's office (here and there) and was told by both that it's a 'civil issue' (not a criminal one) - so they won't do anything on their end. I am planning on filing a report with the Attorney General of Idaho though as they look into businesses with unethical business practices.

I just updated the OP quick synopsis for those interested.

Basically Zane has given an empty promise once again and 30 days have come and passed with nothing to show for it. I just posted all the info live on my IG page and linked to this Bladeforums thread in my bio. If any of you guys have IG accounts, please re-post or at least comment if at all possible. I greatly appreciate it 🙏

Here's the main post pic:

i-vmhBJwC-X2.jpg

Sounds like they are thumbing their noses at you(r expense).

I absolutely hate to see that Schenk is continuing to leave you hanging in the wind on this Josh! I know you didn't make a snap decision or take it lightly to put this out, but they really haven't left you much choice with very poor communication and no follow through on their end.

I hope your attorney can get this situation all straightened out soon and make you whole on this ... whatever that takes.

You've not only been a pleasure to work with you've always went above and beyond anytime I've had interactions with you. And I'm proud to call you a friend. I don't usually use IG but maybe I will look at getting it set up and support you there through this issue too.

You might contact the district attorney for where Schenk knives is located and see if they can offer any help. Also check Google reviews for Schenk, you may be able to leave a review there too and link to this thread. I'm very sorry to see how this is playing out for you.

had kind of a similar experience many years ago, as the middleman/designer between the maker and the buyer, for a similar amount of money. Things were going really well, until the deposit was paid, then the excuses started coming....

in that case, it wasn't even my money, yet the whole thing- which started off with high hopes and no worries about the little things- was extremely stressful. On the one side, I had a buyer who wanted their money back after things went pear shaped, on the other, I had the maker- who'd subcontracted part of the job- threatening me in various ways and laying all the blame at my feet.

I'll never forget that feeling, which is a good thing because it's a lesson I do not want to learn again!

after all the foreseeable foot dragging and excuse making, the buyer was eventually made whole. Nobody came out of that situation better off, if you don't count hard lessons as a benefit.

it doesn't sound to me like this situation is going to be book ended by some resolution, and even if the money is repaid, you're still being stiffed for your time and energy. I can only imagine the sense of optimism and promise you must've felt when first entering into this agreement, and the real loss here is how thoroughly destroyed that hope and optimism is. That's something that'll be hard to get back. And I'm not saying that it's wrong to pursue this matter by any means, but it's important to point out that you've lost something more than money here and it will be solely up to you to figure out how to get that back.

I hope that, for your family's sake, you get made whole financially. And for your sake, that you are able to move on from this without carrying too much baggage going forward.

had kind of a similar experience many years ago, as the middleman/designer between the maker and the buyer, for a similar amount of money. Things were going really well, until the deposit was paid, then the excuses started coming....

in that case, it wasn't even my money, yet the whole thing- which started off with high hopes and no worries about the little things- was extremely stressful. On the one side, I had a buyer who wanted their money back after things went pear shaped, on the other, I had the maker- who'd subcontracted part of the job- threatening me in various ways and laying all the blame at my feet.

I'll never forget that feeling, which is a good thing because it's a lesson I do not want to learn again!

after all the foreseeable foot dragging and excuse making, the buyer was eventually made whole. Nobody came out of that situation better off, if you don't count hard lessons as a benefit.

it doesn't sound to me like this situation is going to be book ended by some resolution, and even if the money is repaid, you're still being stiffed for your time and energy. I can only imagine the sense of optimism and promise you must've felt when first entering into this agreement, and the real loss here is how thoroughly destroyed that hope and optimism is. That's something that'll be hard to get back. And I'm not saying that it's wrong to pursue this matter by any means, but it's important to point out that you've lost something more than money here and it will be solely up to you to figure out how to get that back.

I hope that, for your family's sake, you get made whole financially. And for your sake, that you are able to move on from this without carrying too much baggage going forward.
Thanks Lorien, I really appreciate you sharing your experience and the well wishes. You are right, there have been high levels of stress and time consumed in this thing that cannot be restored. I have learned valuable lessons through this though and for that I'm thankful.

Really hope this shady dude sacks up and makes it right with you Josh. I can only imagine what this is doing to you.

The longer someone waits to take appropriate legal steps to recover their money the longer the offending company has to legally protect themselves from judgements and such.

Hope this works out for you.

Wow sure sorry to hear this. Hope it all ends well for you. Years ago I was contemplating something similar and went in small with just a few blades as a test drive. That too was a total disaster, in similar ways as yours but with much less heartache since it was only a few. Soured me on the deal for sure.

Back