Lets talk GEC!

Anyone else have overtravel issues on most of their GECs? I mainly carried case knives until a few years ago and never had a problem with overtravel, just other qualities. I have a #68, #65, #83lb, and #71 that have had overtravel blade rap. The 71 was easy to sharpen out at least, but the others are consistent if I let them fall shut

Anyone else have overtravel issues on most of their GECs? I mainly carried case knives until a few years ago and never had a problem with overtravel, just other qualities. I have a #68, #65, #83lb, and #71 that have had overtravel blade rap. The 71 was easy to sharpen out at least, but the others are consistent if I let them fall shut
I've collected roughly one of each GEC pattern released since late 2020, and none of them have blade rap.

The only one I’ve experienced since getting into these in 2018 was the 71s. Like you said sharpens right out but had it on both models I acquired.

GECs don't have over travel, they have more steel. Case reduced the height of their blades by 33% to prevent blade rap. You get more blade from GEC which results in the occasional blade rap, even after you sharpen a GEC a few times to eliminate the issue you will have more knife than Case sells. Some options to mitigate the issue are: place a small piece of leather in the blade well to protect the edge, don't let your blade fall shut, or sharpen the blade a few times.

GECs don't have over travel, they have more steel. Case reduced the height of their blades by 33% to prevent blade rap. You get more blade from GEC which results in the occasional blade rap, even after you sharpen a GEC a few times to eliminate the issue you will have more knife than Case sells. Some options to mitigate the issue are: place a small piece of leather in the blade well to protect the edge, don't let your blade fall shut, or sharpen the blade a few times.
Good points, and I wonder if GEC's springs tend to be a little stronger on average than Case's.
I don't have a problem with blade rap because I rarely let them snap shut. I got in the habit of closing knives in a more controlled way, since I collect vintage/antiques.

Only a few of mine have rap - a #71 and the long-bladed #65s and #87s. I consider it a fault on a top-end knife, but it's not terminal if not too pronounced.

I've collected roughly one of each GEC pattern released since late 2020, and none of them have blade rap.

My experience exactly. Lots of GECs, no rap on any of them.

The pattern piques my interest but the covers not so much.

Completely the opposite for me. I'd love something in tomato acrylic but the 48 pattern does nothing for me whatsoever. I'm typically not that into patterns that are generally described as "slim" or named after legumes.

My experience exactly. Lots of GECs, no rap on any of them.

Completely the opposite for me. I'd love something in tomato acrylic but the 48 pattern does nothing for me whatsoever. I'm typically not that into patterns that are generally described as "slim" or named after legumes.
I agree, I already have a single and improved trappers in stag so I’m going to sit this one out.

Back