Mountain Biker's Forum

Just found this thread. I bought my first mountain bike in '90, a Cannondale hardtail. I love trail riding and pounded the dirt for 20 years. My 50 year old body and back have not been a fan the last few years, so I started doing Triathlons, but man all these pics and videos are really making me miss it. I'd rather ride a trail than the road anyday!!! I may have to start looking for a new mountain bike!

Just found this thread. I bought my first mountain bike in '90, a Cannondale hardtail. I love trail riding and pounded the dirt for 20 years. My 50 year old body and back have not been a fan the last few years, so I started doing Triathlons, but man all these pics and videos are really making me miss it. I'd rather ride a trail than the road anyday!!! I may have to start looking for a new mountain bike!
Bikes have changed so much in the last 10 years it’s not really fair to the mountain any more—-hahahaha.

I was out of it for about 15 years due to work & family reasons. I started getting back into it in 2017, riding a 20 year old C-dale. I bought a ‘modern’ MTB in 2018 & have been riding like I stole it ever since!

The difference between old and new is staggering.

man, I keep cutting my tyres. Third one in the past four rides:rolleyes:

the trick with RS forks is to break them in over 4 or 5 good rides, and then give it a full service.…
…..the first servicing is the most important, and once that's behind you those hydraulic doodads will hold up for a super long time with minimal wear.
Well, the Lyrik lasted about three months before the damper blew and started leaking oil out the top cap.

I sent it to SRAM (via the dealer) and they did a full service under warranty, I‘m only out the shipping cost. SRAM had the fork turned around in only a couple of days, which was impressive.

I like the feel of the fork…hopefully this was an isolated incident. I’ve been riding Fox pretty hard for 5 years and they’ve held up stupendously.

ETA glamour pic from today at a new bike park in my area:

Well, the Lyrik lasted about three months before the damper blew and started leaking oil out the top cap.

I sent it to SRAM (via the dealer) and they did a full service under warranty, I‘m only out the shipping cost. SRAM had the fork turned around in only a couple of days, which was impressive.

I like the feel of the fork…hopefully this was an isolated incident. I’ve been riding Fox pretty hard for 5 years and they’ve held up stupendously.

ETA glamour pic from today at a new bike park in my area:

that's a pretty interesting technical feature- wouldn't wanna veer off it!

New wheel day today!
Raceface Turbines, a little narrower at 30mm ID as opposed to the 35mm ID on my old set. Downsized the tires as well from 2.8" to 2.6". The swap took 1.6 pounds off of the wheel weight, can't wait for my ride tomorrow!
Threw a new set of Maxxis Minions on while I was at it, no pictures though, getting late and needed a brew, spaced it.😵‍💫
Familiar blade to open boxes. 🫡

20230616_210044.jpg

New wheel day today!
Raceface Turbines, a little narrower at 30mm ID as opposed to the 35mm ID on my old set. Downsized the tires as well from 2.8" to 2.6". The swap took 1.6 pounds off of the wheel weight, can't wait for my ride tomorrow!
Threw a new set of Maxxis Minions on while I was at it, no pictures though, getting late and needed a brew, spaced it.😵‍💫
Familiar blade to open boxes. 🫡

View attachment 2221519
you'll be railing those corners now!

ps. there should be another Boker/LA to add to your collection fairly soon...

IMG_5463-L.jpg

High speed woods weasel getting his learn on about being a bike dog. So far, I’d say this is his thing.

Just started a 7 day night shift which kunda sucks, but also has some redeeming qualities.

ETA: Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory , it’s great to have a 4-leged biking companion!

Finally got a picture with the new wheels/tires!
I did a full service yesterday as well so no cracks about how clean it is...😂

20230620_142537.jpg

DHF is a wicked tread for a front tyre, all things being equal, although casing and rubber compound are probably a bigger predictor generally of the kind of performance you're looking for than tread pattern. If you ever want to try something else really good, the Assegai kicks ass, guy

Just finished our 2nd annual June trip to Fernie BC. We’d have started sooner, if the border hadn’t been closed or nearly closed for so long.

Back