Recon 1, in MagnaCut

Just bought a New condition Recon 1 Blades Canada S35VN for $125. I’m telling y’all, get the old steel.

Wow, never knew they made this version with a bronze coating!!! Did they release these through a certain distributor?

Wow, never knew they made this version with a bronze coating!!! Did they release these through a certain distributor?
That’s a satin Blades Canada exclusive with aftermarket blue G10. They did make bronze colored Desert Warrior versions which BladeHQ sold, with green handles.

I was just browsing around and saw that there's a new Recon 1 coming out in Magnacut.

That's the good news... the bad news is the price. Two hunnert and sixty big ones. Yeesh!

I have to wonder if we are being taken for a good old ride these days with these prices.

I'm so over the Recon 1. Every one I've owned ends up modded so my hand isn't a mile away from the cutting edge, and eventually sold at break even or a loss because thumb studs and tip up carry on a knife this size just don't do it for me. So no, I wouldn't buy one in MagnaCut, especially not at that price.

Every one I've owned ends up modded so my hand isn't a mile away from the cutting edge
I'd like to see a pic of that . Recon 1 come with a finger rest, right next to the blade . Any closer ... there'd be blood ! :rolleyes:

I did put a Snaggletooth wave opener on mine . So tip up is right for me . :cool:

I'm so over the Recon 1. Every one I've owned ends up modded so my hand isn't a mile away from the cutting edge, and eventually sold at break even or a loss because thumb studs and tip up carry on a knife this size just don't do it for me. So no, I wouldn't buy one in MagnaCut, especially not at that price.
I've seen someone else not care for the gap between finger cut out and distance to the blade. think it was craytab craytab but I might be mistaking him for someone else.

I never paid much attention myself to it...as I use mine for easy cuts where precision doesn't matter. I can see how some wouldn't like it though.

Several pics posted of them if you look. I don’t have time at the moment though

Recon 1 come with a finger rest, right next to the blade .

I'd prefer the grip area to terminate in a guard that is right next to the edge. It could have been designed that way. But this is not a criticism of the Recon 1 only, as I see many knife designs where the handle distance to cutting edge is more than necessary, and where often that is compensated for by a finger choil or 50/50 choil. I understand some people like it, but to me it's the Emperor's new clothes. Why design a knife handle like the Spyderco PM2 or Cold Steel Recon 1, when it can be designed more like the Tenacious or Resilience. Make a neutral and comfortable grip area that terminates in a guard right next to the cutting edge, and you don't have to waste properly heat treated steel on a handle feature.

I did put a Snaggletooth wave opener on mine . So tip up is right for me . :cool:

I get the appeal of wave openers. They are fun. They are somewhat fast. But after I had my fun with them for a couple years, I came to the conclusion they are not for me.

I'd like to see a pic of that

I found two of them. I did these ones a few years ago now, and photographed them on a potato. If the tang design allowed for it, I would have brought the finger groove even further forward.

img_9769-jpg.1534375

img_0195-jpg.1534409

I'd prefer the grip area to terminate in a guard that is right next to the edge. It could have been designed that way. But this is not a criticism of the Recon 1 only, as I see many knife designs where the handle distance to cutting edge is more than necessary, and where often that is compensated for by a finger choil or 50/50 choil. I understand some people like it, but to me it's the Emperor's new clothes. Why design a knife handle like the Spyderco PM2 or Cold Steel Recon 1, when it can be designed more like the Tenacious or Resilience. Make a neutral and comfortable grip area that terminates in a guard right next to the cutting edge, and you don't have to waste properly heat treated steel on a handle feature.

I get the appeal of wave openers. They are fun. They are somewhat fast. But after I had my fun with them for a couple years, I came to the conclusion they are not for me.

I found two of them. I did these ones a few years ago now, and photographed them on a potato. If the tang design allowed for it, I would have brought the finger groove even further forward.

img_9769-jpg.1534375

img_0195-jpg.1534409
I knew what you meant. It’s never been a big issue for me, and find the area in stock form adequate enough to wrap my index finger around. And D DocJD , I’m with you on the Snaggletooth, pretty much a must have for me on these.

As for the Magnacut version, you already know I’ll be picking up a clip point if they make them (when, not if, they come down in price).

Back