Recon 1, in MagnaCut

As do I. It's just not how I want to have to hold my knife.

The Recon 1 is a great knife. I'm just ... particular.
Just to be clear, that’s not how I regularly hold it. On the very rare occasion I do, it’s not been a problem. There are more ergonomic options, definitely. The Recon 1 as a whole just does it for me all around.

I agree, they could have easily curved that area, or made it smaller. Even slightly would have made a difference, but I can deal with it as is. I have my own quirks for sure, just different ones. As much as I like the Recon, 250+ puts it out of contention for me.

Love the Recon 1.

I carry a spearpoint version more often than any of my other folders.

No liners to trap moisture, solid lock, perfect size for my uses, and steel that doesn't chip.

I can see how the guard can be polarizing.

But like others have mentioned, I just choke up and place my index finger on it. It actually works pretty nice in use for me.

Love the Recon 1.

I carry a spearpoint version more often than any of my other folders.

No liners to trap moisture, solid lock, perfect size for my uses, and steel that doesn't chip.

I can see how the guard can be polarizing.

But like others have mentioned, I just choke up and place my index finger on it. It actually works pretty nice in use for me.
I agree with these observations. This knife would be near the top of my list for the question, " If you could have only one knife?"

I've seen someone else not care for the gap between finger cut out and distance to the blade. think it was craytab craytab but I might be mistaking him for someone else.

I never paid much attention myself to it...as I use mine for easy cuts where precision doesn't matter. I can see how some wouldn't like it though.
Yup, I've said it before. Had three of them, never carried, all sold.

The triad lock in general seems to require a huge gap like that. One of the reasons I know to stay away. Not my bag.

The triad lock in general seems to require a huge gap like that

A redesign solves it, as my pics on the previous page show. If I were to do it again, I would also take the plunge line back as well, which would reduce the gap even further. Shoot now I actually want to try it again 🤣

After reading the recent posts and looking again at the pictures, I had to take my Recon 1 out from my IWB and look at it.

I actually like that the sharpened part of the blade is a short distance from the handle for this reason. When I close the knife with one hand, I compress the lock tab with my thumb, and push the blade closed with my index finger. I hold the handle with my middle finger wrapped around the first finger groove. When the blade closes against the handle and my finger, the dull part of the blade hits my finger. I like that safety feature, since I don t usually look at my knife at work, and always use it with one hand.

Great work knife.

I just let gravity do it. I may not have mentioned yet in this thread that I also tweaked the lock spring stiffness so that the lock was easy to actuate, but still lock up solid. I one hand closed my modded knife by depressing the lockbar with my index finger positioned inside the finger groove where it would catch the tang and the blade closed with inertia, then closed it the rest of the way once I moved my finger. Worked just fine after my mods, and now that I've learned I can move plunge lines at will, I'm even more likely to redo one of these. There's no profit in this for me, it's just the hobby I have loved for the past decade. Will I get a MagnaCut one? Now I really don't know. 🤣

But there is no question at all that it would work perfectly. Here are some YouTube screenshots, the last of which I have drawn the new plunge line and scale profile onto to demonstrate the soundness of the planned mods, and their compatibility with the one handed closing method I described above.

Recon-1-inside-view-1.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-2.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-3.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-4.jpg

Of course, I know once I do it, I will eventually get rid of the knife unless I can come up with a way to do this to it as well:

Recon-1-opening-hole.jpg

But if I succeed in doing that, I will drill and tap the scales for tip down carry and actually carry and use it, because I will actually enjoy doing so.

I just let gravity do it. I may not have mentioned yet in this thread that I also tweaked the lock spring stiffness so that the lock was easy to actuate, but still lock up solid. I one hand closed my modded knife by depressing the lockbar with my index finger positioned inside the finger groove where it would catch the tang and the blade closed with inertia, then closed it the rest of the way once I moved my finger. Worked just fine after my mods, and now that I've learned I can move plunge lines at will, I'm even more likely to redo one of these. There's no profit in this for me, it's just the hobby I have loved for the past decade. Will I get a MagnaCut one? Now I really don't know. 🤣

But there is no question at all that it would work perfectly. Here are some YouTube screenshots, the last of which I have drawn the new plunge line and scale profile onto to demonstrate the soundness of the planned mods, and their compatibility with the one handed closing method I described above.

Recon-1-inside-view-1.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-2.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-3.jpg

Recon-1-inside-view-4.jpg

Of course, I know once I do it, I will eventually get rid of the knife unless I can come up with a way to do this to it as well:

Recon-1-opening-hole.jpg

But if I succeed in doing that, I will drill and tap the scales for tip down carry and actually carry and use it, because I will actually enjoy doing so.
great....we all just encouraged David to make one better and build a knife I'm gonna buy from him down the road.....just what i need another recon 1 but improved on......thanks a lot y'all.......

David Mary David Mary , am I wrong, or would removing that much material from the front of the scales expose the giant gap in the tang for the lock tooth and stop pin? I assume that’s why it’s so large, to cover that when the knife is closed.

No.

or would removing that much material from the front of the scales expose the giant gap in the tang for the lock tooth and stop pin?

Yes.

I assume that’s why it’s so large, to cover that when the knife is closed.

I guess only Andrew Demko knows if that's the actual reasoning behind it. But if that would bother someone, then needless to say they should not perform this mod.

I'm really getting tired of the latest WonderSteel of the week with all these manufactures. It's like what Sig does with marketing their guns. Always a new flavor of the month to drive more sales.

I can t believe thar Magnacut steel is that much more expensive than S35vn. The Magnacut Recon1 is double the price of the S35vn Recon 1? Cold Steel is losing its position as the value leader in quality folders. A shame.

David Mary David Mary , am I wrong, or would removing that much material from the front of the scales expose the giant gap in the tang for the lock tooth and stop pin? I assume that’s why it’s so large, to cover that when the knife is closed.
Many of the other models have that gap, so not sure why they were worried about it on that one. Maybe as a selling point for military (reduce snagging and/or debris)?

Many of the other models have that gap, so not sure why they were worried about it on that one. Maybe as a selling point for military (reduce snagging and/or debris)?
Yeah, it seems to have been better addressed on other models like the American Lawman, which has a full finger choil in the blade, and the AD10, which has allllmost a full finger choil in the blade, and the point of the handle between the blade and the first handle choil covers that gap juuuust enough.

I can t believe thar Magnacut steel is that much more expensive than S35vn. The Magnacut Recon1 is double the price of the S35vn Recon 1? Cold Steel is losing its position as the value leader in quality folders. A shame.
I'm hoping the price comes down when it hits the streets... I'm still waiting to get a knife in Magnacut but if the hype is real it might be worth it. I like tool steels because they're tougher but I like stainless steels because I don't have to worry about rust if I forget to clean them (which I frequently do). Magnacut is designed to sits right in the middle of that, offering both toughness AND rust-resistance, which to my mind is worth a bit extra. How MUCH extra in this case, is the question...

The street prices will come down.

Even though they have the Minimum Advertised Price policy (MAPP) like most companies do.

You have to be willing to wait it out for a few months to a year though.

Back