Recon 1, in MagnaCut

Looks like the Magnacut Recon 1 will be made in Italy. I’m not excited about that, because I trust the Taiwan manufacturer’s heat treat but Italian made knives in “super steels” are often on the softer side in my experience.

Edit: Also, that sharpening choil looks weird. The choil and the edge remind me of how some of the counterfeits look. If they counterfeit these they may be even harder to tell apart, when you consider the choil, edge, and newer matte black PVD coating vs the shinier DLC they used to use. When I first saw this image my brain said “fake”, but it isn’t.
F57153D0-BAEF-4D69-BD33-85277BF45548.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the Magnacut Recon 1 will be made in Italy. I’m not excited about that, because I trust the Taiwan manufacturer’s heat treat but Italian made knives in “super steels” are often on the softer side in my experience.

Edit: Also, that sharpening choil looks weird. The choil and the edge remind me of how some of the counterfeits look. If they counterfeit these they may be even harder to tell apart, when you consider the choil, edge, and newer matte black PVD coating vs the shinier DLC they used to use. When I first saw this image my brain said “fake”, but it isn’t.
View attachment 2576924

Is the underside of the ricasso not coated ? In the picture it looks white/grey ish ? Where is the picture from ?

Thank you

Is the underside of the ricasso not coated ? In the picture it looks white/grey ish ? Where is the picture from ?

Thank you
The newer PVD coatings are not as nice as the old DLC coatings, without getting into the specifics. They look thinner and have a dull matte appearance. Some well known companies call this DLC, but that’s not accurate. The picture is a snap shot of a recent Cold Steel YouTube video.

Back