There is always room for improvement! šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

Rant ON.

WTF is it with people and re-racking weights just wherever the hell there's an open slot. If the weight next to the spot you're putting yours is a 15-lb dumbbell, does it really make sense that a 65-lb dumbbell goes next to it? FFS.

Rant OFF
Having a gym in the basement is awesome for so many reasons.

Downside is a smaller variety of equipment.

Although I donā€™t generally like Smith machines, the one thing theyā€™re great for, is weighted calf raises.

Baby steps;

New PR rehabbing an old knee injury. Just hit 300 calf raises with a 140lb weighted vest in 4 sets (100, 80, 60, 60)

Barbell back squats left me with a case of patellar tendonosis. Whenever it flared up I had to subject myself to excruciating eccentrics for temporary pain relief. Rheband knee sleeves also helped alot. They kept my knees hot and sweaty.

Although I donā€™t generally like Smith machines, the one thing theyā€™re great for, is weighted calf raises.

Everything has a time and place. I used to use a Smith with a Manta Ray for standing calf raises and as a makeshift donkey press. At one point the only way I could bench was with a Smith due to a shoulder SNAFU.

Edit: forgot to add "only"

Out of curiosity, what's your plan of action for improving your kicks? Working on flexibility and mobility for more height? Working on more strength to increase power?
most of what I've been doing is strengthening the muscles on the outside of my legs near my butt.

I've done pulsing holds at the top of my range of motion for a side kick increasing by 5 each week. up to 45 now.

I saw a Gabriel Varga video illustrating this and it feels like ots working. I'll try to find the video

eta the video and I need to start the stretching portion... oops. šŸ˜‘šŸ˜

Last edited:
Running has been the bane of my life. I absolutely abhor and detest running. Which means that it's something that I need to do because I'm deficient at it. Do what you hate in order to improve yourself.
I don't like running per se, but I like how it helps me stay height/weight proportionate and avoid having to watch what I eat quite so much as I get older. I'm not fast, but I'm approaching respectable times at most distances. My goal for the year is a marathon finish in the top half for my age and sex. I'm kind of a 55th-60th percentile finisher now with two under my belt, and I'm hoping for a 4:15:00 finish this year. I'm entered in a top-10 marathon by size with a good reputation for speed and crowds for morale, so I think I got it in the bag as long as I do my part from now through the end of June.
Having a gym in the basement is awesome for so many reasons.

Downside is a smaller variety of equipment.

It ticks my OCD and then I have to re-rack them ALL.

I walked along a beach in Puglia and lost several sprints against my 6-yr-old daughter (in my defence, she cheats!). I do want to get in better shape this year, though.

And if I do, my 2nd resolution will be to try not to bore people on social media about it. I have two high school friends who were running sub-3-hr marathons in their 40s, and Iā€™ll swear they were only doing it to make the rest of us feel bad.
IMG_0291.jpeg

More overtime shenanigans today.

Tuck jump to handstand. Not enough room for a straddle jump.

Goal is 10 during my 7 hour shift or until Admin pokes their head in and asks, "What da Fuq are you doing making so much noise?!?!" Control is nonexistent and coming down with a THUMP on the hollow floor.

Floor also qualifies as a haz mat zone (in my opinion) and I brought in my board.
View attachment 2442517

Edit: 10 completed in 4 hours between 6 AM & 10 AM. Took longer than expected with work & fatigue interfering.

Last edited:
Can fugly fatties hang around in here among you stud muffins to learn some life-style lessons? I'm like a sponge and I absorb things very quickly which is a double entendre! In other words, a thread for the fit stud muffins and the slobbish stuff muffins?

I luv CPK, came in here for the knives but stayed for the muffins!

In other words, a thread for the fit stud muffins and the slobbish stuff muffins?

Welcome aboard! I'm not a stud muffin, I'm just Sum Dum Phuk who resembles the pig from Journey to the West (Chinese literature reference) whenever I'm at the kitchen table or with my shirt off.

The hardest part is getting started and continuing so that it becomes a habit.

Edit: Corrected mythology to literature & added the 2nd sentence

Last edited:
Morning!
Too early to tell if it will be good, bad, or a clusterf*@k until day 3 of overtime ends.
Starting off with the breakfast of borderline diabetics today (caffeine & chocolate).

View attachment 2443607

Woke up with a sore wrist and will edit with whatever hijinx I can get away with today.

10 F'ugly L-sits to F'uglier tuck planches on parallettes with Rehbands.
View attachment 2443794

Last edited:
One of the simplest and easiest things someone can do to improve their health, and the one I just donā€™t understand why people canā€™t adopt, is to stop drinking soda.

FFS, people, just drink water.

How can anyone not see that shit for the poison that it is???

Stop drinking your calories, for crying out loud.

One of the simplest and easiest things someone can do to improve their health, and the one I just donā€™t understand why people canā€™t adopt, is to stop drinking soda.

Yep, I cut out blatant sources of simple sugar about 8 months ago, soda being the main one. I'll still have a little splash of fruit juice, added for flavor to water that I carbonate myself.

Itā€™s always my first recommendation for folks trying to lose weight.

I think itā€™s both upbringing and self-control. Iā€™ve had lots of people whoā€™ve told me they never drank plain water, growing up. Juice, milk, soda, kool aidā€¦ never just water.

My parents OTOH, never bought or kept soda pop in the house, except for guests or parties. Soda pop was one of those occasional things that we got only when eating out (home cooked meals were the norm), or parties.

We had OJ, and/or milk for breakfast, but we were raised to drink plain water.

Between the sugar, calories and chemical additives, itā€™s really not good for anyone, even the diet versions.

Back