Traditionals and Cast Iron Cookware

U can do the oven self cleaning method, but it can cause heat damage. Same with grinding it if it's truly 100 + years old that's no what u want to do. I suggest the easyoff method. Buy a yellow can of oven cleaner spray it down and put it in a black garbage bag in direct sunlight for 24 hours wash and reseason. U can also use vinegar or molasses but easy off is the easiest.
Also post a picture of the bottom of the pan and I can date it for you!

Took some backstrap from the October 18th buck and cut it up into stewing tips and made a venison stew this past Saturday - between seven people we ate every bite of it. I failed to get a picture of the finished stew - we must have been hungry! OH

Attachments

• Venison Stew 11-25-23 (1).jpg
    Venison Stew 11-25-23 (1).jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Venison Stew 11-25-23 (2).jpg
    Venison Stew 11-25-23 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Part of my says flapper wheel on drill and start over.
No, No, No. Place it on a stove top, warm it up so it's not too hot, put whatever oil/fat you use for cooking in it, and wait for it to heat up. Put some coarse salt in it and scrub it with a rag. keep scrubbing till the flaking and rust is removed. Wipe it clean and then put it back on the heat for about 15 mins and let the oil/fat harden. Put it a very small amount of oil/fat into the pan, bring to just smoking turn it off let it cool then wipe excess oil/fat away. This should suffice, but you may have to do the salt clean a couple of times.

I suggest the easyoff method. Buy a yellow can of oven cleaner spray it down and put it in a black garbage bag in direct sunlight for 24 hours wash and reseason. U can also use vinegar or molasses but easy off is the easiest.

This is the way I do it as well. Works quite well.

Bought a cool vintage lodge with some interesting tooling patterns on the cooking surface. This has got to be the roughest machined cast iron piece I have seen, but it was interesting and was in great shape, so it came home with me. The machine marks will fill with seasoning over time and get a little smoother, but overall I don't think this one has the advantage of the smooth machined surface I expect from vintage iron. Its only about 1/4lb lighter than a new model, but also cost me about the same $$ anyway, $25+tax. Photo'd with a new project knife, an older SS Queen fixed blade that my Great Grandpa would cut bait with on his fisihing trips with my Dad and Grandpa. I will do my best to clean this one up and probably put new handle scales on it at some point.
ZmUbmkT.jpg

Circling back around to this old Queen. Fixed it up and presented it to my Dad. He didn't even recognize the knife until I explained that it was the old fishing knife he found and I restored it. I think it cleaned up well.
0665bBS.jpg

Unrelated photo of a cast iron haul that I brought back from a huge flea market trip back in 2021. I was looking for #10 skillets and I found 3, plus a Griswold combo-skillet that cleaned up real well. I sold 2 of the #10's at cost to friends and kept the rest.
d0rGIyH.jpg

Circling back around to this old Queen. Fixed it up and presented it to my Dad. He didn't even recognize the knife until I explained that it was the old fishing knife he found and I restored it. I think it cleaned up well.
0665bBS.jpg

Unrelated photo of a cast iron haul that I brought back from a huge flea market trip back in 2021. I was looking for #10 skillets and I found 3, plus a Griswold combo-skillet that cleaned up real well. I sold 2 of the #10's at cost to friends and kept the rest.
d0rGIyH.jpg
And what appears to be an unchipped glass lid!

Yes, I had found a #10 wagner glass lid years ago at this same market (Canton, TX) and liked it a lot. Found this #8 wagner glass lid to complement it. I passed up the #6 glass lid that was right beside this one and should have picked it up to complete the set. I was running out of cash at this point after buying all the skillets ;)

The Dutch oven I inherited a few weeks ago. The same one I posted photos of the seasoning peeling because Mom (read that as mother -in-law) was too weak to clean and did not ask for help.
Salt and oil scrub after 30 minutes at 250, then 350 and lard covered and finally 30 minutes at 450
So far so good. Hope it works Mom, miss you.View attachment 2427104View attachment 2427105

Back