What are you watching & why? (splain)

Don't think this is single take, but very well done

I remember enjoying the hell out of that movie. I need to watch again, it's been awhile.

Some of the things I remember - Charlize Theron trained her ass off for it and did most of the stunt work herself. She didn't portray an invincible badass that couldn't be taken down - instead she got the shit kicked out of her and even in that sequence shown in your video, you see the fatigue setting in, as well as the fact that it can take a lot more than getting shot or stabbed to take a determined antagonist out of a fight. That first guy she shot in the clip - he was dead, he just didn't know it for a good while.

Yeah, I am going to need to watch it again.

Started watching "Shoresy" on hulu. I'm a hockey fan and didn't know about the show. If you liked Letterkenny you'll probably like this as it's the same actor in the lead role and it's pretty funny four episodes in. (Nice diversion from the real world. Not at all politically correct.)

Also, just finished "American Rust" (Season 2), having read the book and seen the first season.

The second season is not based upon the novel and is a wild convoluted ride. It's a bit meandering and requires a willingness to suspend belief...but it is entertaining (and crazy) if you can get through some of the slow bits.

The Gentlemen (series, the show was great, and so far the series is also)

3 Body Problem, because I still hold onto my inner nerd. Comics, graphic novels, Sci-fy, this is a great series also.

Black Sails……again. Pirates…..debauchery…..fights…..come on, it’s Pirates.

Haven't watched this yet but I'm going to guess it's another frail armed chick beating up and overpowering grown men?

Sorry man, but no. Look it up, the actress trained hard for that role and she gets more beat up than otherwise. Is it still unlikely? Yes. But it's a better effort than most movies that try to convey that.

Hell, just watch the bloody clip and you'll see her getting thrown around like a rag doll.

Sorry man, but no. Look it up, the actress trained hard for that role and she gets more beat up than otherwise. Is it still unlikely? Yes. But it's a better effort than most movies that try to convey that.

Hell, just watch the bloody clip and you'll see her getting thrown around like a rag doll.
Charlize Theron is no Gina Carano, but she does a good job in Atomic Blonde. Much more realistic than a lot of other action movies, male or female led.

No need to apologize ;) I confess both to not watching the clip and also being a grouch when it comes to female "asskicking" movies in general (they seem to be everywhere these days). They tend to erode my willing suspension of disbelief.

Then again my tolerance isn't what it once was and I'll cop to that. Everything has been overly politicized to the point that I immediately lose interest.

Anytime I find myself watching a new production and enjoying it, it's with bated breath... knowing it wont be long before the cuck hammer drops.

Charlize Theron is no Gina Carano, but she does a good job in Atomic Blonde. Much more realistic than a lot of other action movies, male or female led.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Having began martial arts when I was 4, and competed in Wushu Sanshou/Sanda and Muay Thai, plus training with and training women, there's a huge disparity in power, and bone structure.

While the fight scenes in Atomic Blonde are better than average; a woman repeatedly taking bareknuckle punches to the face from a man, are still completely unrealistic, especially with the standard Hollywood hero/heroine trope where none of those impacts impairs their movements.

Generally, a bareknuckle punch from a man isn't just going to knock a woman down/out, it's going to break the more delicate maxillofacial/jaw bones.

That said, I simply accept that it's just entertainment, and try not to overanalyze and pick these kinds of things apart.

*** OK, maybe that last part isn't exactly true, eg.
The John Wick fight with the 2 Indonesian guys with Karambits. Multiple scenes where I'm thinking, "Yeah, if it wasn't a scene choreographed so JW wins, they'd have sliced him apart there, and there, and there, and there... sheesh, so many openings to slice him to ribbons".

Or Shailene Woodley in the Divergent series; "Wow.... she couldn't even be bothered to do much, if any physical training for the part. Her skinny arms don't even have any visible muscle tone, and the mechanics of her punches are awful. She could punch me in the face as hard as she could and would be more likely to hurt herself, than stop me".

I should also add that over the course of my experiences, I HAVE trained with women who absolutely could take out a bigger man. One of those, was a little Japanese lady who had been training in her family's style of Okinawan karate since childhood, including extensive kote kitae (impact conditioning). She had no problems matching guys who outweighed her by 100+lbs doing this

Could throw really hard bareknuckle punches, too. Harder than the average guy can, without breaking his own hand, because she'd been training for it since she was a child.

Last edited:
I just discovered that several TV shows that I like are being streamed "live" on the Freevee Channel on Prime.

Those shows are:

Forged in Fire
Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern (PBS)
The Repair Shop (BBC)

Since they are being streamed "live," you can't pick & choose which episodes that you want to watch but they stream constantly so you can watch or not watch anything that pops up on the screen while you're doing other things which is what I'm doing now while Bizarre Foods is on the screen.

----------------------------------

Update: It seems that Freevee is very cavalier about when & which shows are aired live on its channel because now I can't find "Forged in Fire" (FIF) and can only find the others by hunting down a long list of shows that its airing.

You can watch some old shows online by streaming if off The History Channels website but I prefer to watch TV shows on TV, not my computer. So, I hope that FIF shows upon on Freevee again soon.

Last edited:
IMG_1850.jpeg

Just started espisode one but I can already tell you. I would go at a moments notice to go fight anyone against Israel. The is already a tear-jerker.

Everyone should watch this especially in light of the violence against Israel.

It’s on Peacock for anyone interested.

Last edited:
The wife’s been on a Korean drama kick these last few weeks. They’re pretty fun! Great brain bleach anyway. Mostly it’s just scheming elderly politicians and tragic love stories of succession.

We finished Jang Ok-Jung last week.

Working on Hwajeong now.

Started watching the 1997 Hallmark production of 20,000 Leagues under the sea and it’s just awful. Don’t know what I was expecting exactly. Completely unwatchable.

View attachment 2563733

Just started espisode one but I can already tell you. I would go at a moments notice to go fight anyone against Israel. The is already a tear-jerker.

Everyone should watch this especially in light of the violence against Israel.

It’s on Peacock for anyone interested.

Oy vey

Just finished season two of The Bear. Weirdly addicting. It’s about a dysfunctional Italian-American family attempting to survive life while getting a failing restaurant rebranded and back on its feet. So much drama. So much shouting. Everyone seems crazy but I found myself rooting for every one of them, even the jerks. This show has a way of creating suspense, discomfort, and dread from nothing. The wife noticed that it also triggered me to want to make snacks every time we watched it. Would recommend.

Watched Bringing up Baby (1938) yesterday. Screwball comedy starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. Pretty silly. Felt long and drawn out. Sounds like even at the time the film wasn’t well received. Something the director was quoted as saying on the Wikipedia page seemed accurate to me. He said he regretted making every single character crazy. It did seem strange that Cary Grant’s character was written as a bumbling, inept intellectual who couldn’t make up his mind. Not my favorite film for either of them.

^^^^^^

"The Bear" is coming back with a new season in six weeks.
Yes! We’re both excited! We binged S1 and S2 pretty fast. The entire cast really sold it. Everyone did great. So many close-up long-shots of the actors faces during uncomfortable, sometimes gut-wrenching conversations. S2 E6 in particular might have established a new benchmark of discomfort for me. Can’t wait to see where they go next!

Back