What are you watching & why? (splain)

Second movie was Damsel. My daughter loves this movie which is all that matters. I wasn't shocked and awed, it wasn't anything too original, but I was entertained for the most part.
I enjoyed Damsel. A little bit of Dragonheart meets The Descent.

Watched the first few episodes of Fallout and I'm really enjoying so far. Baby Billy's Nuclear Bonkers is great as usual.

Watched the Fallout series on Prime. As someone who’s never played any of the games, and didn’t really know anything of the backstory, I found the series quite entertaining, and am looking forward to the next season.

It’s quite graphic, with explicit violence, so take that into consideration as far as allowing kids to watch it.

Ripley, the 8 episode TV mini series on Netflix:

Based on Patricia Highsmith's crime novel The Talented Mr. Ripely so basically if you've watched the movie, the essence of the story is not different but the reason that I recommend it highly is because it is very well produced and masterfully framed and filmed. It's a Noir film and it is actually done, all of it, in B&W. If you love the beauty of Italy, its art and culture you will find this a gorgeous bonus :)

ETA: the reason that it does not look like a typically cheap Netflix production is because it was actually produced by Showtime!

Just finished Fallout today. Pretty fun! I think they struck a good comedy/drama balance. Excited to see some of the backstories completed in season two. I think I played some Fallout II or III back in the day but never finished it. I found the game dark and tedious, with wonky combat.

There was an indie fan-made show that came out years ago called Nuka-Break. I watched that as well but don’t remember much of the plot.

Been working my way through some Mitchell & Webb these last few weeks. Fun and silly.

Hilarious!

Lucy MacLean:

Strength-4
Perception-7
Endurance-6
Charisma-5
Intelligence-6
Agility-5
Luck- 7

The Ghoul:

Strength-5
Perception-6
Endurance-7
Charisma-7
Intelligence-4
Agility-7
Luck-4

Maximus:

Strength-7
Perception-6
Endurance-6
Charisma-5
Intelligence-4
Agility-7
Luck-5

Ma June:

Strength-5
Perception-7
Endurance-5
Charisma-7
Intelligence-6
Agility-4
Luck-6

Kinda funny, since the movie is based on a game, but

***major spoiler alert. Don’t read it until after watching the whole season

How does Maximus’s stats only have a 5 for Luck? Seems like everything about him occurred from sheer dumb luck.
- He wasn’t initially selected as a Squire. It was dumb luck.
- Dumb luck that he was presented an opportunity to acquire the armor.
- Dumb luck that Lucy showed up, right when she did, and happened to be the one person in the wasteland to actually care about helping someone else.
- Dumb luck that she happens to be young, horny, and from a sheltered commune
- Dumb luck that he was merely KO’ed vs killed or severely injured in the last episode, AND happens to be found by his best friend in the BoS, who then declares him a hero

I watched a couple of good ol' fashioned action movies last night.

The Beekeeper - a Jason Statham flick that was a satisfying return to form for him. Silly premise aside, I was quite entertained and really enjoyed watching the douchebag bad guys get their comeuppance. I would definitely watch again.

The Bricklayer - this movie was mildly entertaining but it was just plain bad. Clumsy writing and low budget production made for an entirely forgettable movie. I don't recommend and won't watch again. I hope that the book is better than its film adaption.

I watched a couple of good ol' fashioned action movies last night.

The Beekeeper - a Jason Statham flick that was a satisfying return to form for him. Silly premise aside, I was quite entertained and really enjoyed watching the douchebag bad guys get their comeuppance. I would definitely watch again.

The Bricklayer - this movie was mildly entertaining but it was just plain bad. Clumsy writing and low budget production made for an entirely forgettable movie. I don't recommend and won't watch again. I hope that the book is better than its film adaption.

Man, I just can't get behind Jason Statham movies. Really it's any action movie with overly choreographed fights that bug me, with the exception of John Wick. I don't remember when this really started taking hold, but I think it was around the peak popularity of Jackie Chan movies. Maybe sometime in the mid to late 90's or early 2000's?

Don't get me wrong, most all of it is totally unbelievable/unrealistic/pick your adjective. People getting kicked in the face and only having a bloody nose or someone gets hit in the head/ribs with a metal pipe to minimal effect, etc. I'm mostly good with that.

They lost me with excessive spin kicks, 120 pound women knocking out multiple 220 pound attackers, and gimmicks like the transporter.
Oh, let me just coat myself in this conveniently placed vat of oil and attach bike pedals to my feet for traction so I can continue my barrage of gymnastic-fu kicks to every bad guy in sight that's too dumb to ever catch on. I feel like I'm watching a Popeye cartoon.

I miss the diehard-type fight sequences where the good guy grabs a chain and beats the bad guy with it or kicks him as many times as possible while he's down. They're not more believable, but maybe a little more relatable. I'm not sure. Just something makes them more my preference.

Action/fight sequences have just gotten really ridiculous in general these last few years. So many directors think CG is a magic budget bullet. I still think of that first Bourne Identity as being near the apex of fight sequences. Fast and brutal. And they didn’t string them out for 45min like a Marvel film.

Man, I just can't get behind Jason Statham movies. Really it's any action movie with overly choreographed fights that bug me, with the exception of John Wick. I don't remember when this really started taking hold, but I think it was around the peak popularity of Jackie Chan movies. Maybe sometime in the mid to late 90's or early 2000's?

Don't get me wrong, most all of it is totally unbelievable/unrealistic/pick your adjective. People getting kicked in the face and only having a bloody nose or someone gets hit in the head/ribs with a metal pipe to minimal effect, etc. I'm mostly good with that.

They lost me with excessive spin kicks, 120 pound women knocking out multiple 220 pound attackers, and gimmicks like the transporter.
Oh, let me just coat myself in this conveniently placed vat of oil and attach bike pedals to my feet for traction so I can continue my barrage of gymnastic-fu kicks to every bad guy in sight that's too dumb to ever catch on. I feel like I'm watching a Popeye cartoon.

I miss the diehard-type fight sequences where the good guy grabs a chain and beats the bad guy with it or kicks him as many times as possible while he's down. They're not more believable, but maybe a little more relatable. I'm not sure. Just something makes them more my preference.

I hear you on that - I think the term would be "all flash and no substance". The Transporter films definitely fit in that category. Fortunately, there is no oil-fu or firehose-fu in The Beekeeper but it's still an improbable badass that supposedly can take on teams of the world's best and barely break a sweat. (Shrug) I was entertained and they did an impeccable job at making you loathe the antagonists. I think what was refreshing about the film is that it was a straight up action flick; not overly complicated, a simple plot of right versus wrong and the good guy prevails. (It doesn't help that I am also a sucker for Jeremy Irons)

That all said, Jason Statham is a hell of an athlete and I can appreciate that he can still pull off moves like he does at his age.

David Harbor, on the other hand, is becoming one of my favorites. He is kind of in the Bruce Willis and Gerald Butler vein of action heroes. Kind of the everyman, getting his ass beat, but still finding a way to overcome and be awesome.

Last edited:
Most folks couldn't bear to see the actual violence which takes place in a real honest to God fight on the street...

It's ugly and brutal and pieces go missing.

(Clearly not in all...where the intent is something less. But once seen, never unseen.)

Action/fight sequences have just gotten really ridiculous in general these last few years. So many directors think CG is a magic budget bullet. I still think of that first Bourne Identity as being near the apex of fight sequences. Fast and brutal. And they didn’t string them out for 45min like a Marvel film.
Yeah, camera fu pisses me off. Makes you really appreciate the long single take action sequences.

Back