What are you watching & why? (splain)

I took my kids out to watch Dune 2 last night. I loved every bit of it except for the cheesy knives. I understand the look of a crysknife so I had no issues with the Fremen's blades but the blades that Feyd used were terrible. A big oversight from the props department, for sure.

Regardless, a big fan of both the new Dune films.

We're watching this tomorrow in theatres!

How did you like it? The original was not a good movie but it is still a fun watch, hopefully the new one has a similar vibe. Bad action flicks have their special place.
I watched it last night. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was OK.

Fights were kinda meh, considering they actually had a genuine former UFC Champ, and Jake looks like he put in a lot of work to get in shape.

Couldn't stand Conor McGregor.

The only thing that could possibly be g##er than the line in the original, where the bad guy says, "I used to f### guys like you in prison", was seeing Conor strutting around literally bare ass, like he was clenching to stop a greased gerbil escaping from his butt. 😝

^^^^^^

I read the trilogy a few years ago...definitely interesting. (SF is not, generally speaking, my usual reading genre.) Didn't know they had come out with a series.

Re-watching The Borgias now. Fantastic historical fiction with Jeremy Irons in the starring role as Pope Alexander VI. I think there are three seasons, but we didn’t quite manage to finish it the first time around. Could be that it just wasn’t finished at that time. I don’t remember when we watched it exactly.
I loved The Borgias! Fantastic acting by so many. I found myself looking up some of the events that I wasn’t aware of. A really great series.

I loved The Borgias! Fantastic acting by so many. I found myself looking up some of the events that I wasn’t aware of. A really great series.
Yup! Great show! It’s the performances that make it what it is, but I also never feel like the production values are lacking. I pulled my 401k and stayed in Rome for three months in my mid-twenties. Attended a language school about fifty yards from the doors to the Vatican museums. I went through there many times, and Saint Peters obviously. Really fun to imagine the place five hundred years ago.

Yup! Great show! It’s the performances that make it what it is, but I also never feel like the production values are lacking. I pulled my 401k and stayed in Rome for three months in my mid-twenties. Attended a language school about fifty yards from the doors to the Vatican museums. I went through there many times, and Saint Peters obviously. Really fun to imagine the place five hundred years ago.
What an awesome experience! Despite years of college, my favorite education was growing up in different countries and experiencing different cultures.

What an awesome experience! Despite years of college, my favorite education was growing up in different countries and experiencing different cultures.
Nice! Which countries?

In retrospect it was so important for me. I didn’t know how to boil water before I went. And I feel like it’s really important to see how other people live, so we don’t go thinking that our way is the only right way. I went with just the clothes on my back and one change of clothing in a small backpack. Italians are so kind. Everyone seems ready to take you in. I was between jobs and my kidney function was failing fast. Born with renal failure, it seemed my last opportunity to be normal. Of course it wasn’t. Transplants are pretty easy and I kept working and living normally. The wife and I both live so much better now than we did in our childhood.

The Borgias reminds me of a great Tyrone Power film from 1949. Prince of Foxes. Orson Welles plays Cesare Borgia. I’ve watched it several times. Never gets old. Like The Borgias, it also features an assassin who is turned to serve a new master. Fantastic film!

Nice! Which countries?

In retrospect it was so important for me. I didn’t know how to boil water before I went. And I feel like it’s really important to see how other people live, so we don’t go thinking that our way is the only right way. I went with just the clothes on my back and one change of clothing in a small backpack. Italians are so kind. Everyone seems ready to take you in. I was between jobs and my kidney function was failing fast. Born with renal failure, it seemed my last opportunity to be normal. Of course it wasn’t. Transplants are pretty easy and I kept working and living normally. The wife and I both live so much better now than we did in our childhood.

The Borgias reminds me of a great Tyrone Power film from 1949. Prince of Foxes. Orson Welles plays Cesare Borgia. I’ve watched it several times. Never gets old. Like The Borgias, it also features an assassin who is turned to serve a new master. Fantastic film!
Lived in Chile, Guatemala, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Germany and USA (LA, TX, FL, MT, ID, AK). I have visited other countries in Central and South America and parts of Europe.

Renal transplants are quite life changing and I have known several recipients that have lived normal lives- so much better than exhaustive hemodialysis.

Check out the series The Knick if you haven’t seen it. Awesome acting and very cool seeing some of the medical aspects from back then.

^^^^^^

I read the trilogy a few years ago...definitely interesting. (SF is not, generally speaking, my usual reading genre.) Didn't know they had come out with a series.
I like cerebral stuff. I enjoyed the books. The series just came out yesterday. I’m only a couple episodes in; it’s enjoyable enough, but doesn’t follow the books too closely IMO. Different than most current sci-fi stuff.

Back