What Buck are you carrying today?

70qLeGk.jpg

My venerable ol' "Special" from 2004 on kitchen duty today.
Cutting up a bit of Chicken and Red Capsicum for a stir-fry. :thumbsup:
egt9tMJh.jpg

My Special (2004) and Brahma (2016, rehandled by me) with sheaths I made and recycled from those I used to carry my Randall 5-6's.
(I no longer have a Randall 5-6 as I much prefer the Buck)
Picknicker fits the pocket on the front.
bYIP71Fh.jpg

Nice! What's that wood?^
If you can believe it, it's oak. I was installing an oak floor in our living room years ago and I found this piece that had the most amazing burl. I set it aside to use it on some project. I figured I would rather carry it than walk on it. Since the ebony on this 112 was over-buffed, it got the nod. I wasn't sure how it would look sanded and buffed down but I am pleased how it turned out. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of it in the sun. It's amazing. I still have some of that piece of oak left, so I'll have to find something else to "match" it.

Edit to add a picture

Ev7iW7D.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can believe it, it's oak. I was installing an oak floor in our living room years ago and I found this piece that had the most amazing burl. I set it aside to use it on some project. I figured I would rather carry it than walk on it. Since the ebony on this 112 was over-buffed, it got the nod. I wasn't sure how it would look sanded and buffed down but I am pleased how it turned out. If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of it in the sun. It's amazing. I still have some of that piece of oak left, so I'll have to find something else to "match" it.

Edit to add a picture

Ev7iW7D.jpeg
Yeah, I can believe that. Sheesh! All I had to do was look at that & then down at my feet & compare it to the oak floor that I laid about 25 years ago in the living room. There are a few pieces of gnarly stuff there too. :)

Yeah, I can believe that. Sheesh! All I had to do was look at that & then down at my feet & compare it to the oak floor that I laid about 25 years ago in the living room. There are a few pieces of gnarly stuff there too. :)
Oak flooring is a great source of finely figured burl. I probably kept back too much. But that was a special piece I kept for a special purpose.

Today is a variation of Ironbut Ironbut 's setup earlier this week. Just before snapping the photo, I brushed against a dead fern and there's some kind of pollen all over the knives.

Nice combo Ironbut Ironbut ! I think I'll carry these together more regularly.

I almost always carry a SAK Alox Pioneer or Electrician along with a larger folder, like a Buck or a modern folder. The big one does the major cutting chores, while the SAK is the screwdriver/can opener/bottle opener/prybar/wire stripper/awl/drill, etc.

Oak flooring is a great source of finely figured burl. I probably kept back too much. But that was a special piece I kept for a special purpose.
Yeah, I used to do a lot of woodworking/cabinet making, and I find it hard to get rid of end pieces & scraps of oak, walnut, maple, etc.

Back