Would you actually put a Benchmade Bugout in your bugout bag?

Sure why not? I'd carry a Bugout in my Bugout bag, who's to say you can't have a couple of knives in your bag and your main blade on you.

Definitely wouldn't be my main though.

Reactions: DMG
To be fair, those cokeheads will rave about anything they're paid to shill. They were fawning all over Survive? Knives earlier this year, so they don't exactly vet the products they're paid to advertisereviewing.
Biased or faked?

I mean biased is fine because we can still see the knife do stuff.

Faked would obviously be an issue.

A different destruction test.

Reactions: DMG
I've had one for years now, and it's just about the perfect carry. Not for the B.O.B. though, that's where a fixed blade goes.

They should have called it the Backpacker, or the Traverse, or something that denotes ultralight carry. But the name of any knife never bothers me.

It's hard to beat for a lightweight carry. "Wimpy"? Well that's subjective and personal. Do you call SAK's wimpy? They go good in Bugout Bags. :rolleyes:

The Bugout would surely help keep the weight of your B.O.B. down to manageable though.

I've had one for years now, and it's just about the perfect carry. Not for the B.O.B. though, that's where a fixed blade goes.

They should have called it the Backpacker, or the Traverse, or something that denotes ultralight carry. But the name of any knife never bothers me.

It's hard to beat for a lightweight carry. "Wimpy"? Well that's subjective and personal. Do you call SAK's wimpy? They go good in Bugout Bags. :rolleyes:

The Bugout would surely help keep the weight of your B.O.B. down to manageable though.
I have the ranger grip for the tools and the massive saw.

My get home bag has an ESEE 4, SAK Spartan, Fiskars folding saw, and Fiskars Hatchet. I can’t imagine needing much more in the cutting department than that.
How do a hatchet and folding saw help you get home?

Reactions: CSG
No. Not a chance.
I think the name is terribly chosen.
I do have a Bailout, because of the 3v steel choice and I was just dying for some 3v at the time. After spending a significant amount of extra time and cash to buy some titanium scales to replace the plastic ones, and some nice titanium hardware, it still is barely decent as a mildly hd edc folder. I'm still pretty sure it whoops the Bugout. Ymmv
The M4/aluminum bailout is pretty awesome, too.

Nope. I wouldn't put anything with an axis lock in a BOB.
And what, pray tell, is wrong with the Axis lock? It's great for ambidextrous use and is certainly solid enough based on my experiences for tasks a folder is, usually, suited to perform. Batoning with a folder is generally a bad idea regardless of lock but normal camp tasks are fine with Axis lock knives. I think most are agreed that a light duty folder, which was never intended for anything but light duty, would not be a good choice as an only knife in a get home or bugout bag. A fixed blade knife of medium size (3-4" blade) would be the best all around choice. This is a truly dumb topic.

I have the ranger grip for the tools and the massive saw.
Ranger Grip Gang! I’ve got 4 variants; my favourite SAKs by far!
And what, pray tell, is wrong with the Axis lock?
I’ve got two friends who don’t know each other and they both broke an omega spring in their respective BM knife. Your mileage may vary, but that’s some bullshit as far as I’m concerned!

Ranger Grip Gang! I’ve got 4 variants; my favourite SAKs by far!

I’ve got two friends who don’t know each other and they both broke an omega spring in their respective BM knife. Your mileage may vary, but that’s some bullshit as far as I’m concerned!
Then they were both doing stupid stuff the knives weren't intended for. There's really a lot of stupidity (not you) in this forum.

Count me in. One of the springs broke in 3-4 months, the knife was new.

Then they were both doing stupid stuff the knives weren't intended for. There's really a lot of stupidity (not you) in this forum.

Did nothing stupid, opened and closed the knife alot. But that's no excuse. Replaced both spings and sold it ASAP.

Last edited:
The springs on my 940-1 broke 3 separate times at this point. Benchmade sent me new ones each time, but as far as I’m concerned it’s simply a bad design. Either that or the springs BM uses are made out of horrible steel. The steel simply fatigues too quickly. Metal fatigue was the problem every time. What they should have done is use a proper coil spring. I don’t even fidget with my knives like some people do.

Breaking omega springs is a common issue with BM knives, way more common than it should be. There is no excuse for it.

The springs on my 940-1 broke 3 separate times at this point. Benchmade sent me new ones each time, but as far as I’m concerned it’s simply a bad design. Either that or the springs BM uses are made out of horrible steel. The steel simply fatigues too quickly. Metal fatigue was the problem every time. What they should have done is use a proper coil spring. I don’t even fidget with my knives like some people do.

Breaking omega springs is a common issue with BM knives, way more common than it should be. There is no excuse for it.

When I looked at my springs opening the knife, they had this greyish dull surface. Makes me suspect they are not even stainless, I may very well be wrong about that though.

I replaced both springs with stainless polished memory wire.

The two home made on top, the survival OEM at the bottom:

PAp3toNh.jpg

Last edited:
You could do a lot worse. It’ll cut stuff and it’s lightweight, which will make life easier if you’re trying to “bug out” to somewhere.

Seems like we’re talking about an episode of the walking dead, lol. If you have to “bug out”, you’ve got a lot more pressing concerns than what kind of knife is in your bag.

How do a hatchet and folding saw help you get home?
I’m not sure if you’re being serious or if you just feel the need to nitpick something i said. You ever lived in a rural area with extreme weather? They help you shelter in place and make fire in the wilderness, until you make it home. I grew up in the mountains and the winters could be extreme, shit happens people get stranded. It’s a good idea not to freeze to death.

You could do a lot worse. It’ll cut stuff and it’s lightweight, which will make life easier if you’re trying to “bug out” to somewhere.

Seems like we’re talking about an episode of the walking dead, lol. If you have to “bug out”, you’ve got a lot more pressing concerns than what kind of knife is in your bag.

In case of a bug out, you'll never know what's gonna happen.

I'd take a Mora Companion over any axis lock.

And yet it's never happened to any of the 6 Benchmade Axis lock knives I own of which some are 10+ years old. This sounds like BS from people who claim not to have over tasked their knife but, in fact, did. This kind of stuff seems to be, mostly, posted by fanboys of other brands.

Back