Would you actually put a Benchmade Bugout in your bugout bag?

And yet it's never happened to any of the 6 Benchmade Axis lock knives I own of which some are 10+ years old. This sounds like BS from people who claim not to have over tasked their knife but, in fact, did.

It a well stated fact, relax.

This kind of stuff seems to be, mostly, posted by fanboys of other brands.

And ur post is classic from BM fanboys.

Listen, there is quite a few threads about this issue. Shit happens. The axis lock is fun and all, it's just not something I'd trust as a one n only knife in a "situation".

And please tell me what "over tasking" is for a axis lock?

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or if you just feel the need to nitpick something i said. You ever lived in a rural area with extreme weather? They help you shelter in place and make fire in the wilderness, until you make it home. I grew up in the mountains and the winters could be extreme, shit happens people get stranded. It’s a good idea not to freeze to death.
In fact I do live in a rural area with extreme weather. I have even been stranded in the mountains in winter. If it is a get home bag, a hatchet and saw arent that useful.

A GHB is not the same as a survival kit and added, unnecessary weight will not help you. It sounds like you have a survival kit.

Reactions: CSG
In fact I do live in a rural area with extreme weather. I have even been stranded in the mountains in winter. If it is a get home bag, a hatchet and saw arent that useful.

A GHB is not the same as a survival kit and added, unnecessary weight will not help you. It sounds like you have a survival kit.
I live in rural Idaho and did SAR for 7-8 years so the gear in my rig covers pretty much all the bases. I have knives, a multitool (not including a little P4), a hatchet and folding saw, a pair of Mountainsmith lumbar packs with basic backcountry needs, sleeping and shelter gear, extra clothes (mostly wool base layers, socks, gloves, and a cuffed beanie as well as light shell pants and jacket), freeze dried food, backpacking stove, fuel and kitchen gear, bottled water in a small Yeti cooler, various lights (flashlights and spare lithium cells and a candle lantern with 2-3 spare candles), water sanitation filters, fire making equipment, spare boots, trekking poles, binoculars, a pair of Spyderco small sharpening stones, 12v inflator, tire repair kit, etc., etc. I carry most of this gear in a duffel and Plano plastic tote. IOW, I can go camping without needing to pack anything for a few days and/or survive in cold weather backcountry (so long as I stay with the vehicle, a Lexus Land Cruiser. My SAR days were in Idaho where I've lived and camped for 30 years. I always have a firearm on my person as well. I'm far more interested in getting home than bugging out. I'm safer at home in rural Idaho where water and game are readily available.

Last edited:
I live in rural Idaho and did SAR for 7-8 years so the gear in my rig covers pretty much all the bases. I have knives, a multitool (not including a little P4), a hatchet and folding saw, a pair of Mountainsmith lumbar packs with basic backcountry needs, sleeping and shelter gear, extra clothes (mostly wool base layers, socks, gloves, and a cuffed beanie as well as light shell pants and jacket), freeze dried food, backpacking stove, fuel and kitchen gear, bottled water in a small Yeti cooler, various lights (flashlights and spare lithium cells and a candle lantern with 2-3 spare candles), water sanitation filters, fire making equipment, spare boots, trekking poles, binoculars, a pair of Spyderco small sharpening stones, 12v inflator, tire repair kit, etc., etc. I carry most of this gear in a duffel and Plano plastic case. IOW, I can go camping without needing to pack anything for a few days and/or survive in cold weather backcountry (so long as I stay with the vehicle, a Lexus Land Cruiser. My SAR days were in Idaho where I've lived and camped for 30 years. I always have a firearm on my person as well. I'm far more interested in getting home than bugging out. I'm safer at home in rural Idaho where water and game are readily available.
I am in the mountains in Pennsylvania. I spent a bunch of time in the Rockies, too. It sounds like you have a vehicle kit dialed in. We have a LC100 too, btw.

If something happens I go home where my family and all of our preps will be.

I don't have any broken Axis lock springs either...

Don't know how many BM Axis knives I've had.... Bunch of 'em... which equals a bunch X2 springs.... none of the springs have broken.

I'm casting neither shade nor doubt at anyone who has had a broken Axis spring... World is a chaotic place, anything can and will happen...

But an epidemic that's "well stated fact"? I guess I'm that lucky Bastid that never gets a bad one. Yay Me!!

So I guess I'll still buy 'em and carry 'em. Y'all out there with ones you don't trust can send 'em to me. I'll trade you some cool stuff for 'em.

I am in the mountains in Pennsylvania. I spent a bunch of time in the Rockies, too. It sounds like you have a vehicle kit dialed in. We have a LC100 too, btw.

If something happens I go home where my family and all of our preps will be.
I love the 100 series! I've had mine for almost 14 years but I bought it used 12/09. It's a 2002 with about 135k miles on it and other than regular maintenance, the only repair was to replace a broken power antenna maybe 10 years ago. I run KO2's 275/70R16 (IIRC). Great in snow and off-road. Not great on ice. FWIW, we got 8-12" of snow on Thanksgiving at our place, depending where on the property. Mountains got a bit more. ;)

I don't have any broken Axis lock springs either...

Don't know how many BM Axis knives I've had.... Bunch of 'em... which equals a bunch X2 springs.... none of the springs have broken.

I'm casting neither shade nor doubt at anyone who has had a broken Axis spring... World is a chaotic place, anything can and will happen...

But an epidemic that's "well stated fact"? I guess I'm that lucky Bastid that never gets a bad one. Yay Me!!

So I guess I'll still buy 'em and carry 'em. Y'all out there with ones you don't trust can send 'em to me. I'll trade you some cool stuff for 'em.
Amen, brother. FWIW, I have folding knives from at least five other brands. None of them have broken either. But like I said earlier, if I could only have one knife for anything other than pocket carry, it would be a fixed blade and it would be what is my best knife, a Fallkniven F1 (I have two, actually).

My bug out bag is basically my truck which includes everything from a SAK, a Protech auto to a fixed blade. But in reality, for what I would consider needed in a back up bag, a knife is fairly low on the priority list. A firearm and first aid kit would be the priority. JMHO.

Amen, brother. FWIW, I have folding knives from at least five other brands. None of them have broken either. But like I said earlier, if I could only have one knife for anything other than pocket carry, it would be a fixed blade and it would be what is my best knife, a Fallkniven F1 (I have two, actually).
Amen back at ya! I think I mentioned that my B.O.B. has a FB in it.... for the life of me I can't recall what it is at the moment... I best go look!

Some folk say that your SHTF knife is the one you have on you when S actually H TF... so I guess that odds have it my SHTF knife is a Bugout... 'cuz I carry it a bunch.

And it don't scare me none.

EDIT: Don't know how it got in there, but my FB is a Cold Steel Mini Tac with the Bowie blade. No folder in there, it's a Leatherman Wingman. I'll probably survive with these. :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Amen back at ya! I think I mentioned that my B.O.B. has a FB in it.... for the life of me I can't recall what it is at the moment... I best go look!

Some folk say that your SHTF knife is the one you have on you when S actually H TF... so I guess that odds have it my SHTF knife is a Bugout... 'cuz I carry it a bunch.

And it don't scare me none.

EDIT: Don't know how it got in there, but my FB is a Cold Steel Mini Tac with the Bowie blade. No folder in there, it's a Leatherman Wingman. I'll probably survive with these. :cool::thumbsup:
Good point about when the SHTF and what's on you might be all you get. My Bugout is my most oft carried folder of the three I have in rotation, the other two being a Mini-Grip and a Mini-Presidio although I do default to an old Buck 501 on occasion for old time's sake (stupidly good knife).

Never had to clear a downed tree across a back road have you?

LOL! Here in rural Washington, we carry a Stihl chainsaw in the rig when it gets stormy. You wouldn't believe the crap that blocks roads after a good wind and rain storm.

Back in the DEC '07 storm, we had to cut our way out of the driveway, then halfway down the alley, then 2 blocks of trees/limbs to leave the neighborhood. Unreal.

There's always a Gerber axe back there even if I don't have the Stihl... but after some thought I should add a Silky saw or such. Don't take up no more room, really.

Yeah, some of our "Get Home Gear" includes a gallon jug of mixed gas and a spare chainsaw chain at times.

There are days where if all I had was a Bugout, I'd be sheltering in place with it... hoping my 2 brothers had their chainsaws when they showed up.

Don't get me started on the shovel...

I apologize for my misuse of the definition.

Last edited:
Never had to clear a downed tree across a back road have you?
That was my thought as well.

A lot of times getting home is hindered by poor weather, which means tools that help clear paths or even get debris off of things or people are helpful.
This is exactly one of the reasons I have what I have in my bag. I suppose my definition of a get home bag is incorrect and should have been referred to as a survival bag. To me it’s a matter of semantics and I didn’t realize there was an actual definition for these things, but it appears there must be.

Reactions: DMG
If anyone is not aware of the "no true Scottsman" fallacy. look it up. The point is, I have a Get Home Bag with stuff in my car for getting home, and a "Bug Out" bag at home for leaving, what's in them changes constantly with conditions.
As to the original question is the Bugout a Viable "Bugout bag knife", if two is one and one is none, then yeah, I'd say that if I was loading my ultralight urban bugout bag that for me is a lot of meal kit (due to food restrictions) then a decent fixed blade, the bugout as a good folder and a multi are all part of that mix. Could I swap it, sure, but the basic model, as a gram counter option in a good visible color, and fits a design criteria, it does well. Is it the "only" bugout knife, no, that's not even a considered question, just like the bailout is not even a designed for airframe egress knife. I don't even know what kind of animal a griptillian is, or why I need a knife either to care for it or kill it.... Don't over think it. For most people a decent knife that is light enough to not leave behind is better than nothing. I'm by no means the top of the food chain here, but I've spent more hours carrying dumb knives for days without a good reason than most. (I EDCed a SOG Seal Team Elite for three months just because I could, it was a bad idea in hindsight, and on one of my first guide trips I carried a pound of unneeded steel) and it's my opinion that the only two bad knives are the one you left at home, and the one that didn't meet it's design criteria (not the same as it's marketing hype).

As for broken axis springs, I present the concept of "fail Safe" it is not a system that is safe from failure, it simply fails in a manner that is safe. So you break a spring, will the lock still work in a safe manner? mostly yes. If you break the spring on a liner or frame lock, will it work? I would argue, mostly no. A backlock... maybe. Is that my only criterion (no I also own back locks and compression locks because they work well for my hands) but lets make sure that we are making mountains of mountains and leaving the moles to their hills.
Like what you like, carry what you carry, make fun of marketing if you want, but don't trash other people for liking a thing with silly marketing. If we all just made fun of people instead of marketing, no one who owned a CS would have any friends, and that's not fair to them. None of us were on those marketing teams, and you never know if a design meets someone's needs in a way that you didn't expect.

I don't carry it. I don't care what it's called. Axis lock is a locking mechanism I don't like. I don't want to keep a folding knife in my bugout bag anyway. I think folding knives belong in pockets. If I had to carry a folding knife, Benchmade would not be my first choice. Benchmade seems like a frog in a well to me. No offense to fans. It's just that the market is full of much more robust and cheaper pocket knives. I don't intend to argue. I respect if you think otherwise. Personal preferences.

I apologize for my misuse of the definition.
I know I seem to be being pedantic about it but I have to keep my vehicle kit separate from my GHB. My vehicle kit has a Fiskars axe and a folding saw, recovery gear, winch controller and tree savers, etc.
My GHB is for if I have to abandon the vehicle so it is light and basic.

LOL! Here in rural Washington, we carry a Stihl chainsaw in the rig when it gets stormy. You wouldn't believe the crap that blocks roads after a good wind and rain storm.

Back in the DEC '07 storm, we had to cut our way out of the driveway, then halfway down the alley, then 2 blocks of trees/limbs to leave the neighborhood. Unreal.

There's always a Gerber axe back there even if I don't have the Stihl... but after some thought I should add a Silky saw or such. Don't take up no more room, really.

Yeah, some of our "Get Home Gear" includes a gallon jug of mixed gas and a spare chainsaw chain at times.

There are days where if all I had was a Bugout, I'd be sheltering in place with it... hoping my 2 brothers had their chainsaws when they showed up.

Don't get me started on the shovel...

we are back on a private dirt road with a few houses on it. A couple of my neighbors are old retired guys. When a big tree gets blown down, as happened the week before thanksgiving, it’s like an old guy race on compact tractors and SxSs to get it off the road and into stovelengths. One came down on a Saturday last year and by the time I had my chainsaw gassed up and got there, it was out of the road and cut up.

Back