Would you actually put a Benchmade Bugout in your bugout bag?

Y'all out there with ones you don't trust can send 'em to me.

Sorry, sold them long time ago. Enjoy u're knives, just dont play around to much with them. The springs days are numbered.

If you break the spring on a liner or frame lock

Wont happen, at least not nearly as often as a omega spring break, and if one spring breaks the other is not far befind.

Also a liner/frame lock folder can still be used with a broken lock.

Fixed blade. But I'm going to bug in and protect Smokey from the zombies.
Oh my, but you have your next fixed blade to send to market, David...

The Bug-In!

Long enough to get to the bottom of the peanut butter jar, sharp enough to cut a hank of ham and slice the cheeze for the samwich, tough enough to split kindling for the fireplace and brutal looking enough that zombies get one look at it and head to the neighbor's house.

I'll take one please.

Sorry, sold them long time ago. Enjoy u're knives, just dont play around to much with them. The springs days are numbered.

Wont happen, at least not nearly as often as a omega spring break, and if one spring breaks the other is not far befind.

A knife can still be used with a broken omega spring. All they do it keep the release from releasing. Hold it in place or stick a stick in and break it off. I keep waiting for one of mine to break so I can try it.

Is there an example of much bushcraft knife use during a bugout?

Or I suppose people suffering due to a lack of that kind of thing?

A knife can still be used with a broken omega spring. All they do it keep the release from releasing. Hold it in place or stick a stick in and break it off. I keep waiting for one of mine to break so I can try it.
Pretty shure, if u're medium handy, u can whittle a stick to keep a liner/frame lock in place as well.

Reactions: DMG

I dont have a bugout bag, but if I did there def would be a fixed blade in it and not a folder.

Reactions: DMG

Granted. However use was not what I was saying, sure a knife can be used, but it will have to be used as if it was a friction folder without the benefit of an exposed tang. The point is that saying that an axis or similar lock "is bad because it can break" ignores the failure conditions. It's valid to say that a reputable liner or frame lock is very strong, no one is saying that they are not. They are however going to fail in a different way. If you like it, that's fine, if you don't that's cool too. For some people's way of thinking, the equations work out a little differently based on their experience. All I'm trying to get at is that while an omega spring break is not ideal, it doesn't render the knife without a lock. At risk of sounding absurd, I carried spare sparkplugs on my ATV when growing up on the farm, swapped many a plug to get home. I also know people who have done an engine swap in primitive conditions with minimal tools and tripod made of logs, that doesn't make those two mechanical tasks at all comparable. Yes, you could build a fire and forge weld the spring back together, but are we grapsing that far at straws? That said, if I had the time and funds, that would be a cool "what if" to try, to remake a locking bar for a frame or liner lock with just the knife itself. All I'm discussing here is practicalities or failure-modes, lets just keep it all in a bit of perspective. As I did say before, bugout might be a dumb marketing name, but that's just being redundant.

I would and I have one and it will go in the bag if I have to bug out! That sentence was a tongue twister. Reason I would have is because it is so light I’ll never notice the added weight of it. Then if I lose my Caruthers SDFK or have to leave it in the skull of a zombie and also drop my Hinderer running from the swarm. At least I’ll still have that light weight blade as a last resort. I’m actually being serious… 😏

Depending what you mean with bugout and where do you bugout to?
Is it a play/training scenario?

I cant recall a situation or desaster where I want and will stay for long in the woods after any desaster.

That beeing said and having only lived through one major storm and one huge flooding in my area, I rate most of what I saw on youtube about bugging out as a grown up boys fantasy.

If I had to pack for a get home bag or such I would simply get a large MT with full bitset and a small crowbar.
Much more usefull than a sharp overpriced prybar or a folder of any sort.

I can't believe this thread is still going, but I guess it's what we do here. 🤣

If you think a lightweight folding blade for basic admin tasks would be useful, then go for it. To me, it would only be in addition to a stout fixed blade, not in place of it, and I can't think of anything I could do with a good fixed blade that I'd rather have a small folding blade for instead, but that's just me. I don't think this was framed as another, "if you could only have one?" exercise, so sure throw a Bugout, or something similar, in your bag.

As for the name, speculating on whether it actually correlates to literally "bugging out" is laughable on multiple levels.

Last edited:
I can't believe this thread is still going, but I guess it's what we do here. 🤣

If you think a lightweight folding blade for basic admin tasks would be useful, then go for it. To me, it would only be in addition to a stout fixed blade, not in place of it, and I can't think of anything I could do with a good fixed blade that I'd rather have a small folding blade for instead, but that's just me. I don't think this was framed as another, "if you could only have one?" exercise, so sure throw a Bugout, or something similar, in your bag.

As for the name, speculating on whether it actually correlates to literally "bugging out" is laughable on multiple levels.
The Bugout should be clipped to one's pocket like a multitool might be (and your firearm). The rest of the gear should be packed in your vehicle with the ability to ruck it if needed.

The Bugout should be clipped to one's pocket like a multitool might be (and your firearm). The rest of the gear should be packed in your vehicle with the ability to ruck it if needed.

Sure. Clip it wherever it's most handy. I wasn't really dictating a specific place to put it.

Hell no.
While I like the concept of having something that is as easy as possible to carry or hide - I just can't see it as something I'd want to be stuck with in a sticky situation. The omega spring is a red flag in itself, so is the (mostly)linerless construction but the way too thin handle is the final nail to the coffin. I'd rather have a fixed blade with good handle.

In an episode of Life Below Zero The First Alaskans, I saw a native woman use a bugout to open clams. To her it was just a tool to get a job done. I think they are more capable than some give credit. Are there others that are more robust? Sure. But a bugout is capable of a lot.

Bugout... No. BM Turret... yes but heavy, G10 grip...sure. fixed blade absolutely.

I do have a k55 in my bag. Doubles as light folder and striker for ferro rod.

My white river Ursus 45 will often get tossed in the bottom of my go bag if I'm going outside of my standard route. Capable, nonthreatening, and I have no real attachment to it.

I also carry a silky f80 in my bag. Comes in handy more often than I would have thought.

But to stay on task the k55 over a bugout 8 days a week for me

The possible scenarios for actually needing some kind of survival kit are highly variable .

Still , I don't see much advantage to any lightweight compact folder . Except as a hideout , last resort .

BUT : If you EDC such a knife , you should already have it on your person . IMO .

I'd pack survival supplies in the kit .

For knife needs : Fixed blades primarily . Cold Steel Tri-ad lock folders, maybe for backup . RangerGrip SAK .

Back