Any Winkler fans?

rurs5q.jpg

For those of you who run a hatchet on your kit, what’s your preferred method of mounting it?

I’m a machine gunner and my job requires me to be both inside the turret of a Humvee and dismounted which means I try to keep as much shit off my plate carrier so I can more easily move in the Humvee turret as well as so I can get as low as possible if I’m dismounted behind a medium gun. I’m also sometimes required to sit behind one of the heavier guns if it’s mounted on a tripod. I tried to mount my Hunter axe LT behind the dump pouch but found that the handle of the axe hits the ground and impedes my ability to lean back and apply shoulder pressure on the gun, not to mention it’s nearly impossible to re sheath if it’s sitting on the back of my belt under a dump pouch.

It may seem silly to carry a hatchet on your belt but you’d be surprised how often a hatchet comes in handy when dealing with machine guns so I’d prefer to have quick access to thing and not just keep it in my pack. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
For those of you who run a hatchet on your kit, what’s your preferred method of mounting it?

I’m a machine gunner and my job requires me to be both inside the turret of a Humvee and dismounted which means I try to keep as much shit off my plate carrier so I can more easily move in the Humvee turret as well as so I can get as low as possible if I’m dismounted behind a medium gun. I’m also sometimes required to sit behind one of the heavier guns if it’s mounted on a tripod. I tried to mount my Hunter axe LT behind the dump pouch but found that the handle of the axe hits the ground and impedes my ability to lean back and apply shoulder pressure on the gun, not to mention it’s nearly impossible to re sheath if it’s sitting on the back of my belt under a dump pouch.

It may seem silly to carry a hatchet on your belt but you’d be surprised how often a hatchet comes in handy when dealing with machine guns so I’d prefer to have quick access to thing and not just keep it in my pack. Does anyone have any ideas?

You sir, have much gnarlier uses than I ever have had for mine, Maximum respect from up north. I always carried mine in the bush under my arm with the handle hanging between my GP pouches on my waist and the top of the pouch acted like a shelf catching the beard of the hawk

I always enjoyed Henry Winkler as the Fonz in Happy Days. ;) (Had to do it.) Winklers are cool knives too.

edit: it is April after all.

Last edited:
For military applications be careful placing a hatchet under the arm. Depending on the height, if the butt end of the handle hits on something, the head can come up and dislocate your shoulder. Ex. If you dismount and it hits on the side of the vehicle or ground if you fall.
I mount mine high on my chest and run the handle between two double rifle mag pouches. The sheath mounts on your carrier and a bungee at the bottom of your handle keeps it close.
It’s easily accessible and is comfortable even in a vehicle.
I wish I could have it in my belt but I haven’t found a way that’s comfortable or doesn’t catch on everything.
I hope this helps - be safe and thank you for your service!

I do this with a RMJ Kestrel and the mag pouches are - two side by side single mag pouches - hatchet handle - two side by side pouches. Four mags total. And the bungee is attached to the plate carrier.
To draw the hatchet pull the bungee off the end of the handle and pull the hatchet out of the sheath - lift the handle away from your body to clear the top of the mags and pull out of the sheath.
I hope that all makes sense.

You sir, have much gnarlier uses than I ever have had for mine, Maximum respect from up north. I always carried mine in the bush under my arm with the handle hanging between my GP pouches on my waist and the top of the pouch acted like a shelf catching the beard of the hawk

For military applications be careful placing a hatchet under the arm. Depending on the height, if the butt end of the handle hits on something, the head can come up and dislocate your shoulder. Ex. If you dismount and it hits on the side of the vehicle or ground if you fall.
I mount mine high on my chest and run the handle between two double rifle mag pouches. The sheath mounts on your carrier and a bungee at the bottom of your handle keeps it close.
It’s easily accessible and is comfortable even in a vehicle.
I wish I could have it in my belt but I haven’t found a way that’s comfortable or doesn’t catch on everything.
I hope this helps - be safe and thank you for your service!

Appreciate the tips guys. I'm going to try your suggestions to mount it on the plate carrier either on the side or front and see what works best for me.

Actually not a Winkler.

Winkler makes some really cool daggers, but this one is Tepfer Armory
Thanks !! Yes I'm familiar with the winkler line and the daggers they have all very nice..but that thing has some amazing lines to it aside from the uneven plunge

That little hatchet was awesome on its first field OP, hacking roots, chopping thick branches and making stakes. Sadly, the method I ended up carrying it (in my dump pouch like an idiot) ended up with it getting lost god knows where. I’m pretty bummed about that, but it was an awesome piece of kit while it lasted.

Last edited:

That little hatchet was awesome on its first field OP, hacking roots, chopping thick branches and making stakes. Sadly, the method I ended up carrying it (in my dump pouch like an idiot) ended up with it getting lost god knows where. I’m pretty bummed about that, but it was an awesome piece of kit while it lasted.
That sucks! You have my deepest sympaty!

Sorry to hear about you losing your hatchet K kafolarbear ; those are very nice. Here is a Blue Ridge Hunter I picked up at Mast General in Knoxville, TN last week. They had a couple of Winkler hatchets on display and I looked at em hard, but went for the Blue Ridge instead.

Attachments

• IMG_4148[44412].jpg
    IMG_4148[44412].jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4147[44411].jpg
    IMG_4147[44411].jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4149[44414].jpg
    IMG_4149[44414].jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back