• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad I paid Schenk Knives $10,000... months later no knives, no refund

Good deal. I don't know him and was truly just asking a question. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
I figured so. I’ve seen ya around and didn’t think anything bad of your question. 🙂
Josh is the most honest and transparent maker I have ever worked with. He has a good heart.

Thank you for the holiday wishes.

Anybody who has ever spoken or dealt with Josh would know that he is completely transparent and honest. I've had that pleasure several times via phone, PM and text...both officially, as a moderator, and as a customer, (with two of his Ember knives, only one of which was purchased directly from REK).

I believe this screen capture from one of the earlier posts in this thread makes it quite clear that Josh was having a production version of one of his designs made in order to make them more accessible to those who could not, or would not, opt for one of the knives made completely in his shop...or simply were not lucky enough to get one of these knives due to their scarcity.

This is no different than many top makers have done over the years. Authorized production models of popular custom knives have become relatively routine and have allowed many otherwise difficult to obtain patterns to become more available, and can also be a good source of revenue for makers, manufacturers and vendors. Everybody wins.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 8.57.05 AM.png

Sorry this happened to you. I can't help with the dead beat business partner, but I'll keep an eye out for your knives so as to offer, in a small way, some business when I can. Again, sorry for your apparent loss here.

I have zero knowledge of this issue except what Josh has posted. However, I have dealt with Josh a few times. In my dealings Josh was VERY honest and transparent, and his work was absolutely amazing. I would not hesitate to do business with Josh again. I also believe that Josh is being 100% honest regarding this situation.

Hey Schenk Knives, do the right thing and refund Josh now!

I have zero knowledge of this issue except what Josh has posted. However, I have dealt with Josh a few times. In my dealings Josh was VERY honest and transparent, and his work was absolutely amazing. I would not hesitate to do business with Josh again. I also believe that Josh is being 100% honest regarding this situation.

Hey Schenk Knives, do the right thing and refund Josh now!
Completely agree with this!

Update: right after I texted Zane a link to this thread he called me and we had a phone conversation. He was very apologetic and assured me that he would get me the money and stated that he is actively working on it. I would absolutely love to post a peaceful happy resolution to this thread so I will be updating it as things progress 👍

I wouldn't count on it...I had to have local LEO go knock on a service provider's door for 1/10th of what is owed to you before I got my blades.

I got promised the moon and apologies galore-- but there was zero action until the Sheriff went calling.

I wouldn't count on it...I had to have local LEO go knock on a service provider's door for 1/10th of what is owed to you before I got my blades.

I got promised the moon and apologies galore-- but there was zero action until the Sheriff went calling.
That could certainly be true, based upon my given experiences. But I think it would be a little odd for him to call me and reassure me of a refund (Tuesday) if he had no intention to pay whatsoever. If someone has no intention to pay then I would think they would block all contact and stop answering period. But I could be way off base. 🤞

The Google reviews from this year imply I'm not the only one with issues and they are not promising, but I'm holding out hope that Zane will do the right thing.

I haven't begun to push this thread out to my other social media account and newsletter yet as I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm not trying to be vindictive, I just want the money or the product.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with your product, Josh - not yet anyway. I travel in the same circles as some folks here who do though and they really like your knives. With my busy life, I usually can only handle 1 or 2 high demand makers at a time - keeps my blood pressure low and my sanity intact 😁.

That all said, from one detail-oriented fellow to another, I can appreciate your record keeping and ability to lay out the facts like you have. I am sorry to hear of this hardship and I hope, for your sake as well as the contractor's, that it comes to an amicable resolution. Regardless, the damage has been done though. I hope 2024 brings you more opportunities and plenty of prosperity.

Sad man,it truly is.ive been there and unfortunately some people just don't sweat under the collar or toss and turn through out the night when they do another wrong.reading the back and forth I would not be swayed into giving more time,it's lawyers work going forward.his word has no weight.happy holidays.

If you check the Google maps reviews, this isn’t a first time occurrence for Schenk Knives.

Edit: didn’t see this was already mentioned above.

Geeeeeze. I'm not a customer of REK, but I aspire to be. Josh's reputation is about as solid as can be and I really hope this is resolved quickly and to his satisfaction.

I hope this works out.

I had a similar experience for a much larger sum, and was essentially told to pound sand and lawyer up.

The entinty I was up against knew that I would drown in time and legal fees, and in the end I lost not only a large sum of money, but also future sales, business credibility, and high amounts of stress.

Don't wait too long, and be as aggressive as you need to be to protect yourself and be made whole.

Just stumbled upon this. It beyond saddens me. I hope for the best outcome from this situation Josh. Thank you for everything you do and the badass knives you make.

Had a go around with a custom maker years ago. Took months but I will say that airing it here helped and I eventually got what I needed. I wish you the same.

Last edited:
Back