Let's talk Bowies, Fighters, Frame handles, Coffins..

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
"Better pick that knife up, cause Son, you gonna need it"

Let's talk Frame handles, Hidden tangs, Bowies, Fighters, Coffin handles, the knives that fall under the 'Dreamy' category.

What details do you like to see in those types of knives? From designs to materials, anything and everything, goods and bads.

I really like the look of thin double rows, especially on a frame handle. I stocked up on 1/16 & 3/32 bronze pinstock for things like that.

One thing I find interesting is a play on symmetry. For Bowies, I like the Hells Belle Bowie layout. For Fighters, I like the dagger blade with asymmetrical handle.

In both cases, the blade and handle have opposing symmetries. Either asymmetrical blade with symmetrical handle or vice versa.

(A quick preface: On Instagram I posted a shot of a sketched Coffin Handle Bowie with an asymmetrical 'S' Guard and asked if it was Blasphemic)

One thing I find interesting is a play on symmetry. For Bowies, I like the Hells Belle Bowie layout. For Fighters, I like the dagger blade with asymmetrical handle.

In both cases, the blade and handle have opposing symmetries. Either asymmetrical blade with symmetrical handle or vice versa.
That's interesting, maybe a single edge would benefit from a symmetrical handle so you could rotate it in your hand to orient your edge differently? I need to study some Bagwell's.

In reference to the "S-Guard" question...
View attachment 1026062
:thumbsup:
Nice example of an S guard with a symmetrical handle, that's a lot of blade right there!

Depending on handle material, always liked the small pins all the way around...
Indeed an eye-catching layout. I had to chase this one down..
20181011_215228[1].jpg

In reference to the "S-Guard" question...
I do believe in a full tang Bowie with a sharpened clip and a handle that does not spin in your hand.
This W-49 also has a full convex grind and I can afford it....
Screenshot_20181125-001513_Gallery-01[1].jpeg

Subhilts, now there's something I love but never considered making for some reason.

( Another quick preface) I didn't vote in order to keep my mind pure & civil for the ensuing discussion - though I laughed at the options I felt bad for others being asked to choose. But that's just me.

To the subject - Here is one of my favorite knife handle styles which features: a lessismore guard, i.e. less is more, can be made of multiple materials than can be pinned (1 or 2) &/or epoxied - from leather to wood to synthetics to metal full tang, and functionally the handle can be grasped for the same secure hold, in any position.

I didn't include the blade in the photo - a dagger - because I think, if you aren't hung up on classic designs, this handle can work with nearly any blade shape. I do like a swedge on a blade point. Pretty much don't care for S guards (they are rarely well proportioned) and can't imagine using a knife with a sub-hilt. My 2¢.

Ray

Last edited:
Oh I like that Ray, I can see a nice little dagger there.

I'm liking where this thread is going.

Thanks for the replies gents. I look at this forum like a giant sounding board that's building what's becoming Redmeadow's style.

This thread was also a litmus test for activity and interest.

Thanks for the replies gents. I look at this forum like a giant sounding board that's building what's becoming Redmeadow's style.

This thread was also a litmus test for activity and interest.

You know I'm interested! :D ;)

I'm sure you of have seen this one already Jared, but I'm kicking around the idea of making more like this and with some crowns as well. But I g
h ave a slow continuous flow of orders for hunting knives coming in, so it may be little while yet.

View attachment 1029329

That is so, SO nice Scott!!! :cool: :thumbsup:

That's beautiful Scott! what's the length on that blade? I've been drawing a 10" blade but keep going back and forth betqeen a Harpoon to Clip point.

That's beautiful Scott! what's the length on that blade? I've been drawing a 10" blade but keep going back and forth betqeen a Harpoon to Clip point.

If memory serves, it was 9".

Never mind the maker and being a production blade, but this beast with its deep swedged clip has quickly become one of my favorites. Just looks so good in my eyes. :cool:

IMG_3326.jpg

Last edited:

Jared is correct 9" blade, those harpoon style blades are starting to grow on me bit, I keep telling myself I'm going to make one some day.

9" is a machete to me. Beautiful big blades are compelling but utterly impractical in my world. Even 3/4 scale is a bit large. Oh well. :( Still, I like seeing them.

Ray

Back