Let's talk Bowies, Fighters, Frame handles, Coffins..

Ok, so double rowed pins and contoured end caps.

What about guards? Any details there that float your boats?

Yes! That's a beautiful detail.

Not that they would all go together but details like double row pins, subhilts, contoured and caps, scalloped guards, now we're gettin somehwheres!

I have some wrought iron (wagon wheels and such), I'd like to try a forged wrought iron guard. Even a mild steel guard can look nice, it's about the execution I think instead of the material.

Yes! That's a beautiful detail.

Not that they would all go together but details like double row pins, subhilts, contoured and caps, scalloped guards, now we're gettin somehwheres!

I have some wrought iron (wagon wheels and such), I'd like to try a forged wrought iron guard. Even a mild steel guard can look nice, it's about the execution I think instead of the material.
Love the grain pattern with wrought iron!
Nice ideas.

Last edited:
Hahaha, won't be able to get that image out of my head now Scott!! T-Rex guards!

Keep reachin little fella, you're almost there!!:p

2 photos from a BF thread - working w/wrought iron - from 2015 show off 2 beautiful examples of these ideas you are kicking about. Some other examples of nice wrought iron work there too. Here is the LINK.

From Russ Andrews Knifemaker from Western Mo. -

A wrought iron cap, forged down from a 1/2" thk wagon rim, shaped to match stag,
etched, and hand buffed...

This guard from - Karl B. Andersen from Watseka, Illinois

He offers another 2 or 3 great examples.

Forged iron is a favorite of mine and I have no issues with needing to take care of my knife. Go for it John and I will must have another Redmeadow knife. :cool:

Ray

Last edited:
Great examples from great makers right there Ray. It seems to me Karl just earned his Mastersmith recently.

It's funny that I have zero interest in Damascus but the grain of wrought iron floats my boat tremendously.

Noob question. Is there a name for the process or style where the pommel is cut or contoured to match the stag?

From jdm's post.

View attachment 1029937
I've done quite a few like that......don't know if there's a name for it. I do know
that doing it thoroughly is time consuming...

thumb

Those Bowie’s are stunning, the butt app and the spacers are all contoured by the sub holt as well as next to the guard. Some day I would like to try something like that on one of mine. I have some wrought iron that I bought from Scottish smith a while back I just haven’t got around doing anything with it.

I've done quite a few like that......don't know if there's a name for it. I do know
that doing it thoroughly is time consuming...

thumb
Looks incredible, I've done one like that in antler but it didn't have near the detail of that stag.

Those Bowie’s are stunning, the butt app and the spacers are all contoured by the sub holt as well as next to the guard. Some day I would like to try something like that on one of mine. I have some wrought iron that I bought from Scottish smith a while back I just haven’t got around doing anything with it.
I think I loaned out my ferric chloride, I'll have to find it. I need to dig around my scrap pile and find some wrought iron. Worst case scenario I'll hack up a wagon wheel.

Not a Bowie but you did mention knives that will be used. Mr Fisk might have the best "user" design I've seen and it could be modified with all sorts of handle designs. Just a thought.
fisk120enhanced.jpg

Nice, a 'Sendero' if I'm not mistaken, and I might be, love those.

On a related note, Fisk is putting together a project right now of Makers doing instructional classes Live on Instagram. It's in it's infancy and should be interesting, a different Maker every 2 weeks. The timing is perfect, it sounds like the first segment may be Frame handles, not sure who is going to teach it yet.

Aye, 'tis a Sendero. One knife that I will own one day.
The knife that all hunting knives should emulate.

Something similar to this handle shape, as designed by Ham Gerber in the early 1960's, would, IMO, be a strong contender from a comfort standpoint...

G-FFH HSD NIB 7.jpg G-FFH HSD NIB 8.jpg G-FFH HSD NIB 11.jpg

Back