M1 Backpacker Pro in Magnacut ?

jeepin

Gold Member
I read on the Spyderco website on their forum where someone mentioned White River doing a limited Edition M1 Pro in Magnacut.

Has anyone here heard about that and can send me a link?

I’m not a member on that forum so I couldn’t ask the guy that talked about it.

Weird you posted this because I just came to this subforum to see if White River might use Magnacut sometime in that exact model. I love the M1 Pro and carry mine often, but it would be incredible with Magnacut. I just sent White River an email to check. I post again here once I hear back.

If they do, hopefully they will bump up the hardness to RC61-63. They have historically run S30V and S35VN a little soft.

So, these already exist, but they were sold through a European distributor. They said they do plan to do a run in the U.S. in the a few months. Good news!

Been eyeing one, so might as well hold out a little since getting one in the south pacific is expensive enough, might as well wait for the upgrade if I can.

I’ve been trying to track down one of the European exclusives with no luck.

Looks like no plans to do the M1 in Magnacut besides that small run for the European market.

I emailed them a little while ago and that is what they told me :-(

Hi Everyone,
Yes, we DO intend to offer more Magnacut editions. The best way to be notified is to subscribe on our website pages. That way, when we send a special edition to one of our Dealers, or make available on our website, you will be notified. We do not sell our subscriber list - nor do we send out that many emails. (Apologies to the previous poster, one of us must have replied to his email question with conflicting info.)

FYI- We’ve also been bumping up our hardness on Magnacut. I know that some makers are running it at 63 to 64, especially those making one or two knives at a time. Our next batches will come in at 61 to 62. We’ve found that with our heat treat, temper and cryo temper, we are getting excellent results. I had the opportunity to chat with Larrin Thomas about Magnacut hardness at BLADE. He agreed that 61 to 62 with our process, will be great. Eventually we will probably settle in at 62 to 63.

Thanks to all for your interest in White River Knives,

John Sr.

Hi Everyone,
Yes, we DO intend to offer more Magnacut editions. The best way to be notified is to subscribe on our website pages. That way, when we send a special edition to one of our Dealers, or make available on our website, you will be notified. We do not sell our subscriber list - nor do we send out that many emails. (Apologies to the previous poster, one of us must have replied to his email question with conflicting info.)

FYI- We’ve also been bumping up our hardness on Magnacut. I know that some makers are running it at 63 to 64, especially those making one or two knives at a time. Our next batches will come in at 61 to 62. We’ve found that with our heat treat, temper and cryo temper, we are getting excellent results. I had the opportunity to chat with Larrin Thomas about Magnacut hardness at BLADE. He agreed that 61 to 62 with our process, will be great. Eventually we will probably settle in at 62 to 63.

John Sr.

That’s great to hear. Please make them quick!!! :)

Hi Everyone,

John Sr.

I was initially shooting for 61~62 myself but, have since found that 63~64 is where this steel really shines for me! At 63~64 it has more toughness than many well regarded stainless steels used in large fixed blades so, going softer doesn't seem to offer a lot of 'needed' toughness. At 61~62 you might get some edge deflections that might micro-chip at 63~64 with hard use but, in either case you are going to need to resharpen to get rid of them and I still tend to think running harder is better in this case as well.

I’m already signed up on the website but can you give an approximate estimate on when more of the Magnacut M1’s will be made?
Me too. It’s on my short mist-buy list.

Back