2011 Model Fiskars Hatchet Kydex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiah

Pit Bull Appreciation Society
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
New Fiskars Kydex pattern.

• Retention has been adjusted for harder release (Will now require the thumb to engage release and lock).
  • Edge catching has been eliminated.
  • Small leveling tab added to line up lock with worn down edge.
  • Attachment section added for belt/pack carry.
  • Poll unhindered.
  • Probably something else I'm forgetting.

Pictured with optional quick release drop loop*. A plate attached to webbing can be added for other attachment options or the sheath can be drilled for such. Flush with the belt carry is not recommended as the sheath needs to turn a bit to be released.
*(faked for the pic because I didn't feel like sewing when the prototype was made)

2011Fiskars1.jpg

2011Fiskars2.jpg

Introductory price is $25 for the sheath + $5 for drop loop + $5 shipping. May increase that soon. Depends on how much time ends up going into them.

Old style can still be made if you prefer it (I don't).

Knockaround model will be posted later.

Nice improvements! You can hammer with this one in sheath now, very nice. And it looks as if it's easier to slide and snap in, requires less attention and no edge/corner-catching :thumbup:. I like how you use much less kydex on this one too. Even the overall shape looks to be more streamlined with the tighter fit.

What do you mean by the leveling tab? Is it the small tab that hugs the bottom of the head?

You can hammer with this one in sheath now, very nice.

Yep. I could have made it a little more hammer friendly by turning the tab out instead of back, but that left the possibility of a sapling or something catching and slinging it open, so I decided against it. I may still pull it back further if I can come up with a comfortable, non-catching, release.

And it looks as if it's easier to slide and snap in, requires less attention and no edge/corner-catching :thumbup:. I like how you use much less kydex on this one too. Even the overall shape looks to be more streamlined with the tighter fit.

It is as far as catching. It was mainly the bottom edge shifting along too small a space that caused that, so I just opened it up. Should give loose chips somewhere to fall out as well. The handle locking portion is much tighter now though while still being easier to deal with. The tension on the other ones were good for putting in a pack, but I wanted it sturdier for a belt.

What do you mean by the leveling tab? Is it the small tab that hugs the bottom of the head?

Yeah. Probably not the right name, but it sounded catchy. :D The one in the pic is actually a bit far forward and down as it's the prototype and I measured wrong. It should sit back towards the handle more and butt against the bottom of the head and the handle which would prevent forward movement and rocking after the head is worn down quite a bit or modified. I may throw another tab on top just forward of the poll as well, which would sturdy it up even more, but that may be overkill.

Hey Mate, I have a full sized Fiskar's chopping axe, do you have or could you make a similar unit for that ? It generally lives behind the seat in my truck so it is more for protection than carry.

Andy

[...]Should give loose chips somewhere to fall out as well. [...]

This is nice. I try to not let crap get in the sheath, but sometimes it happens anyway.

And, I think the one leveling tab moved farther back would be enough. :thumbup:

Hey Mate, I have a full sized Fiskar's chopping axe, do you have or could you make a similar unit for that ? It generally lives behind the seat in my truck so it is more for protection than carry.

Andy

I don't have a full sized Fiskars on-hand, but it's on my list.

Thanks mate, I will keep an eye on your threads and should you get on in and make a cover I will be more than happy to pony up for one.

Andy

Had a couple people ask me about the tab thing. Here it is moved back to where it's supposed to be and wrapping the handle. Oh, and peep the sewing on the loop. It's straight and everything. :eek: :p

(atcgriffin, this one is yours by the way and should be in your box any day. :thumbup:)

2011Fiskars3.jpg

2011Fiskars4.jpg

2011Fiskars5.jpg

Very nice :thumbup: I might have to upgrade mine :D

It is a huuuuge improvement. And the belt loop is awesome. I thought I wouldn't personally like a hatchet dangling off my belt, but now i don't know how i carried it any other way. :D

Yeah, the snap buckle belt loop looks great :thumbup: I've already been spoiled with it on my favorite belt knife, so I don't doubt it works well for this hatchet as well. Especially since the handle itself is so light.

I have a new Fiskars hatchet it's labelled an X7.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/X7-Hatchet-14

Can you confirm if this sheath will fit the newer model?

Also whilst I do like to carry a hatchet on the belt when it's use is imminent, I'd prefer to carry it on my pack other times. Any clever solution for that?

p.s.

Very clever how you've left the back of the head exposed. I was knocking some tent pegs in with it yesterday, and thinking how nice it would be if the blade was covered to prevent accidents.

I have a new Fiskars hatchet it's labelled an X7.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/X7-Hatchet-14

Can you confirm if this sheath will fit the newer model?

Also whilst I do like to carry a hatchet on the belt when it's use is imminent, I'd prefer to carry it on my pack other times. Any clever solution for that?

p.s.

Very clever how you've left the back of the head exposed. I was knocking some tent pegs in with it yesterday, and thinking how nice it would be if the blade was covered to prevent accidents.

I don't believe it will. I need to pick up the X7 though. I'll post up when I do bro.

Like the look!

Any chance you'd make one for the Wetterlings Hunters Axe?

Thanx!

~Gnarly

Like the look!

Any chance you'd make one for the Wetterlings Hunters Axe?

Thanx!

~Gnarly

Sure, but it would have to be sent in, bro.

Sure, but it would have to be sent in, bro.

Or dropped off?!?We're about 150 miles apart...

...if work would leave me alone long enough for a road trip...

(I'd better not count on that happening!)

Will try to get back with you when I work off next.

Thanx!

~Gnarly

Or dropped off?!?We're about 150 miles apart...

...if work would leave me alone long enough for a road trip...

(I'd better not count on that happening!)

Will try to get back with you when I work off next.

Thanx!

~Gnarly

Sorry bro, no visitations. I live out in the boonies and have boundary issues. :)

I'd be happy to meet you in town for the pick up though, but that'd be two trips for you.

I copy that,and no problems.

Not a snowball's chance I could get away twice,anyhow!
Work keeps me on a short leash....

USPS will do.

~Gnarly

Great stuff. And if you ship one for a Fiskars X10 to Germany, without horrendous shipping costs and I can pay via PayPal, we have a deal :D Something tells me this isn't going to happen.

I asked a german sheathmaker and he wanted 70 € and I would have had to ship the hatchet to him for 4-6 weeks. Germany and Kydex don't mix.

--

maethor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back