2012 BladeForums Limited Kershaw Skyline PREORDER Thread - S30V, Blue G10 - $90 ea

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm speaking to Thomas on Twitter. He told me that they NEVER quoted Spark an FFG blade. And look what he tweeted 5 hrs ago:

Thomas Welk ‏@KershawThomas

Wanna no win situation Try doing up a knife to support a forum What was I thinking? Fitting end to my time there. Can't wait for the reviews

:confused: Boy, what a sticky situation...

if that statement is true than why didn't thomas mention that in this thread earlier on (when he was still active on the forums) ?

seems like he's placing blame.

it is what it is..

EXACTLY what I was thinking. AND he refuses to believe that the grind is that important.

His tweet to me after I asked him why the Skylines weren't FFG was this:

Thomas Welk ‏@KershawThomas

@T****a Yea cause the entire forum knife was centered around the grind.Please. Said it was going to be FG, don't recall any FFG talk.

:foot:

well, if he ever read this thread (which we know he did because he posted in this thread) than he clearly would've seen where it stated Full Flat Grind.

at that point he should've straightened it out.

seems like poor communication on his behalf.

he also banned himself from the forums while this whole project was in the works.

:(

So then, the knife is just going to be blue G10 with an S30V blade steel. I'm a little surprised by Thomas' blunt responses.

Is there a signed written contract/order or specifications for this project? I'd expect there would have to be. Wonder what that says? That should clear up exactly where the misunderstanding was.

The grind could be the difference between $110 original price and the $90 current price.

A lot of money is spent on tooling. The grind on a blade is a huge deal for the company at least and subjective on customers.

That's not cutting corners, that's getting a knife to the price point that people seemed to be wanting here. Besides, this is nothing but my speculation and not based on anything else.

Yeah. Also, I would hate to think that Kershaw cut corners by not making it FFG

Thanks for the update photos jimmer, nice to know there getting there.

Little advice, just ask for a refund and be done with it, or go open a thread in whine & cheese . I to am bummed out that there not FFG. I'm contemplating very hard as what to do, I want to cancel my order, because item not as described. But I'm torn by the opportunity to support the forums, kershaw(my favriote knife brand), and have a limited addition knife. Like the white stripes song "I just don't know what to do with myself"

Last edited:
All right folks, that's enough. We need to take it down a notch or I will have to close this thread.

I realize that some of you are upset, but personal attacks on Thomas are not cool, and not helpful either. I nay case, he was involved at the beginning of this project, and that was the extent of it.

This project was initiated on a very brief phone conversation, and there has obviously been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. Trying to throw blame around doesn't change anything.

The original point of this project was to make a cool piece to help support BladeForums. It's still a cool knife, with a new grind, a new (to this knife) steel, and a new handle color, and the proceeds will still be supporting the forum.

That's not cutting corners, that's getting a knife to the price point that people seemed to be wanting here. Besides, this is nothing but my speculation and not based on anything else.

If you go by Thomas's twitter remarks, according to him FFG was never in the works. From Twitter: " Yea cause the entire forum knife was centered around the grind.Please. Said it was going to be FG, don't recall any FFG talk."

Now this is by no means a deal breaker for me, but FFG is clearly mentioned in the original post of this thread. Honest mistakes do happen.

Last edited:
That's a great point. You don't simply make $45,000 worth of knives on a promise and a hand shake...

This is actually a pretty small order in the big picture. That's not to say that it's unimportant, but it is what it is. You'd be surprised how many special projects come about from a brief conversation.

The grind could be the difference between $110 original price and the $90 current price.

It's really not - there was just a misunderstanding.

I understand that you're upset, but please stop. It's not a cost savings for us - if we were really all about making money, we would never have taken on this project. In the big scheme of things, bringing in special materials and making new grind tooling a 500 piece custom order is not very profitable for us.

So then, the knife is just going to be blue G10 with an S30V blade steel. I'm a little surprised by Thomas' blunt responses.

The grind is new, the steel is new, and the color is new. That hasn't changed, in spite of the fact that the flat grind is only partial and not full. I don't like to speak for Thomas, but I am also frustrated by this situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, jimmer_5. I was just pulling something out of "thin-air" as to what might've caused the change. A misunderstanding on the grind of the blade is understandable when its based on conversations over the phone.

BTW: That makes Thomas' efforts even more special in bring this in for under $100.

It's really not - there was just a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
I think I may need to take back my apology. You need to back off and either cancel your order or put a cork in it.

I realize that you're just a youngster, but this knife isn't about you, its about supporting BladeForums and the Kersaw sub-Forum.

Personally, I am just glad to see some progress :)
I might actually be ordering another one of these now. They look SICK with the high flat grind. Hell, i might buy 2 more! No, its not Full Flat Grind, but hey, they are one step closer to being finished! I cant wait for these bad boys! Thanks for the pics Jimmer! Its pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back