2021 Hunting Season

It's fall and time for some hunting photos, so anybody who cares to share their hunting please do so, I always enjoy everybody's pictures.
I'm a small game hunter, primarily squirrels. The season opened up here in Alabama a few days ago, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck so far. The first couple of days out only spotted a few zooming around in the treetops like they were on speed, never slowing down or stopping for one second to present any sort of a shot for me. Late this afternoon after it had stopped raining I got out and made a walk through my woods in the steaming god awful humidity and I was about to hang it up from sweating so much when I spotted one sitting still and got a shot. It was nearly straight up and I forgot to hold a little high for the shot so my intended head short turned into a chest shot so the RWS Subsonic HP struck between the front legs and exited out the back. A bit messy but instant death anyways. Into the 14th season for the little Kimber Hunter.
kQiLshI.jpg

Had a great morning, got these four with the Kimber Hunter 22. Beautiful day to be out squirrel hunting. Cool enough to be comfortable but not too chilly.
YBEhrOK.jpg
Very tasteful picture, that's the way to represent our sport. Great job.

Had a great morning, got these four with the Kimber Hunter 22. Beautiful day to be out squirrel hunting. Cool enough to be comfortable but not too chilly.
YBEhrOK.jpg

Do you have a favorite squirrel recipe? I don't get the chance any more because it is a long drive to any place with tree squirrels, although there are plenty of ground squirrels around here. I think the best tasting squirrel I ever had was when I was camping in the snow in the mountains and my friend fried one up in some leftover bacon grease. Of course, just about anything tastes good fried in bacon grease.

I boiled these until the meat was tender enough to fall off the bones, then browned it in a skillet, then put it into some pepper gravy. I'm not much of a cook, I used packaged gravy mix, but it sure is good tasting to me! Ever time I've tried frying squirrels they get extremely tough. Rabbits fry up great, tender like chicken. Somebody who knew what they were doing could likely make fried squirrels good.

I boiled these until the meat was tender enough to fall off the bones, then browned it in a skillet, then put it into some pepper gravy. I'm not much of a cook, I used packaged gravy mix, but it sure is good tasting to me! Ever time I've tried frying squirrels they get extremely tough. Rabbits fry up great, tender like chicken. Somebody who knew what they were doing could likely make fried squirrels good.
Stew em cacciatore (hunter-style stew.)

Out for a walk in the woods this afternoon with the Kimber Hunter 22, spied acorn cuttings dropping nearly on my noggin and had to take a straight up shot, which would have been a miss, but the RWS Subsonic bullet struck the limb directly underneath the squirrel and deflected into it for the kill. Had my favorite scout/utility knife with me, a Cattaraugus, along with the A. G. Russell Gents Hunter.
5arAXlj.jpg

I3wErQg.jpg

I didn't know that Browning had made the SA22 in stainless. If I've ever seen one before I've forgotten it. :thumbsup: Good shooting too.
Phil , that was a shot show special from what I understand. There were a couple hundred round barrel and there were also some octagon barrel ones.

A buddy sent me these pics from his WY antelope hunt:

sMWz3YL.jpg

I made him the knives years ago. Cool thing about the bone handled one is that the bone is from the shin bone of a buffalo he took with his Sharps.

MTvO1XE.jpg

gfcxa3X.jpg

Last edited:
Back