2021 Hunting Season

Spotted one this morning for another kill with Kimber 22. Decided to use a different knife for a change, a Lone Wolf Loveless. I like the smaller knives better, 8-1/4" is a bit awkward on squirrels.
KENP94n.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, Rubythroat. :thumbsup: Ive made several of these bows but that one has become my favorite to hunt with the past 4 years. Although the previous two days I carried this one while hunting.:)
View attachment 1680516View attachment 1680517
Oh! And congrats on your buck!
I have just this year started down the road of traditional archery - it is really exciting to see your success with your bow. Your builds are phenomenal! Do you harvest your own staves?

Last edited:
Oh! And congrats on your buck!
I have just this year started down the road of traditional archery - it is really exciting to see your success with your bow. Your builds are phenomenal! Do you harvest your own staves?
Thanks again my friend. :thumbsup: Congrats to you on catching the passion for traditional archery, its been a big part of my life for nearly 30 years now and I still enjoy it immensely.
Yes I've mostly harvested my own bow staves, osage, hickory, black locust, hackberry, elm, walnut, hop hornbeam, ash and others. I've also been fortunate enough to have friends with the same interest and we share in the bounty/harvest. 1-1/2 years ago a friend gave me about 50 osage staves he had taken from his farm of which I gave about half of those to another bow making friend. What I had kept for myself are almost gone now.:( I get on bow making binges from time to time and went on one shortly after acquiring that large stash of osage.:rolleyes:

I hadn't gotten to squirrel hunt in my little patch of woods in a couple of weeks, too much to do and some bad weather. Got out this morning even though it was pretty windy. Didn't figure I could hit any with the Kimber 22 with the wind blowing so I carried the Grulla shotgun this time. Spotted one and let loose one ounce of #5 shot and one squirrel in the bag! The A.G. Russell knives for the skinning job, actually used the stag one, wanted them together in the picture.
bfZohCa.jpg

I still intend to do some squirrel schwacking with the .22, but I haven't made it to where they live yet this year. Soon!

Think there are no big deer in NY? Think again.
used to hunt with this wonderful farmer, super nice guy and ultimate outdoorsman, he scored a nice one on his farm..has a one acre pond, 4 food plots and about 4 12 ft tower enclosed stands a hunters paradise.!!!!! Bear, deer, turkey, grouse,
I think its his 27th consecutive BUCK on opening day…on his Magic ground blind on top of his property
(he wont let anyone go near his stand all year long)

Got my biggest deer on his farm, heavy 9 pointer, 230 llbs. in 2010. I had my own enclosed and heated tower stand. Best time of my life. Had full access to his farm anytime I wanted.
Then moved to FL to retire, gave up hunting too soon. Miss the hardwoods and woods walks terribly. A mistake I regret.

Last edited:
Got one this morning, a very long shot, around 75 yards. A lot of the leaves are down so I carried binoculars this time. Sat down in a good spot, started looking through the trees with the Vortex Talon HD binocs and after awhile spotted one. Sat the binoculars down, tried to find the squirrel for the shot, couldn't see it. Looked through the 'nocs again, plain sight. Back through the scope, can't find. Back to the 'nocs, try to locate something specific so that I can walk my view into the correct spot. Find a sapling with a dead limb fallen into it bowing it over partway to the target, squirrel is sitting on the side of a tree near the old fenceline to the west side of where I'm sitting near the property line. This time by leaning back against the tree I was sitting beside, taking a solid rest, turning my cap where no sun would be in my eye and scanning as carefully as I could go I found the squirrel. Held halfway between the center of the reticle and the thick of the duplex, as I new this was the right holdover for this scope at 75 yards with subsonic hollowpoints, and gently squeezed the 1.5 pound trigger of the Kimber. SPAT and in a millisecond the squirrel tipped over and fell. I got up and started easing my way towards where I thought it was located and after a few minutes spotted blood all over the ground on the side of the tree facing me. The squirrel was on the backside of the tree, an old oak with a big hollow about halfway up.

I could use a more magnification than the Leupold 2-7x this time of year when the leaves are down. It was frustrating being able to see the squirrel very plainly with the 8x binoculars but poorly through the scope which has true magnification of 6.7x I believe from reading the specs.

Used the Boker Davis Hunter II slipjoint this time around, had it in my pocket handy and forgot to stick a fixed blade in my hunting vest this time around.
qfYAg4m.jpg

It's summer here in Australia but where I live the nights are still relatively cold, 5°c (41°f) Great rabbit and hare shooting by the spotlight. Saturday we are expecting a daytime temperature 41°c (106°c) so best shooting is at 3am till dawn
A BRNO Model 2E is my small game gun of choice

Out cutting some firewood on our place a couple of weekends ago. The wife found this where we were cutting some deadfall:

zxpZTjb.jpg

Now I'm 6'3" and about 230 and have pretty big paws my own self, but DANG!

NI0iHdP.jpg

Out cutting some firewood on our place a couple of weekends ago. The wife found this where we were cutting some deadfall:

zxpZTjb.jpg

Now I'm 6'3" and about 230 and have pretty big paws my own self, but DANG!

NI0iHdP.jpg
I do not see claw marks which I thought indicated bear. Are those mountain lion tracks?

Back