A change in homestead equipment

Hmmm.... my shotgun selection would be a Browning BPS which suites me just fine as a shooting lefty and the thirty aught six in a good stainless steel barrelled rig for my rifle selection. As for khukuris, I would have to go with the baby GRS.

------------------
Harry
Himalayan Imports Khukuri Range Safety Officer
Himalayan Imports Website
Howard Wallace's Fabulous Khukuri FAQ!

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
That dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all...."
- James Graham, Marquess of Montrose (1612-1650)

Don't let them take away your fun with mere facts, Con! You and me believe in "Prevention not Reaction", a good part of which is psychological.

During my internship at Parole & Probation ( and subsequently as a revocation hearing officer ) I learned most of those guys want nothing to do with anyone crazier than themselves. A guy carrying a gun with fixed bayonet is obviously crazy or stoned to the gills and living in a make-believe world and thus unpredictable.

( Remind me to pick up a bayonet for my Uzi next time I make it to town ).

------------------
H I Forum posts to date: Active Forum Archive I Archive II = 36,000+
H I Office # (775) 825-2279

Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Far be it for me to ruin anyone's fun. If I really needed firepower, I'd get an AK and a big stack of magazines. For survival/hunting, my old Savage 24. Personnally I'd rather use a Gov't Model than a bayonet, but to each his own.

As a side question, it seems like a lot of people on this forum have Savage 24's, do they go with khukuris or what?

Geraldo wrote: "As a side question, it seems like a lot of people on this forum have Savage 24's, do they go with khukuris or what?"

Well, I don't have a Savage but I have its more modern counterpart, a Springfield Armory Scout. All metal with ammo storage in the butt. 22 LR over .410. It is also available in stainless steel with 22 Hornet over .410. The Savage does have the advantage in available calibers and shotgun gauges but the Scout is outright tough. And if you cut off the product liability inspired trigger guard (which is the way the military issued it) it will fold in half and store in a very small place. You can even get a scope mount for it!

Gregg

Hi Tulsamal and Geraldo, I wished it were so that there wasn't much crime around here but unfortunately this isn't the case. Cedartown is a small town about 1.5 hrs from Atlanta, GA. My homestead is in a rural place. Just a quick rundown of the more sensational crimes of the last few weeks, you may have heard of a few: the newly elected DeKalb county sheriff was asassinated in his driveway; two local old men were killed in their hunting camp; a teenage girl was raped in her own home - this is just what I read in the paper today. Our local paper is full of a continous stream of assaults, rapes, robberies, and every form of substance abuse and drug dealing known to mankind. While getting DUI's and poaching seems to be the favorite sport of the locals around here.
I was a soldier for 15 yrs and I saw very little human decency in that time. I could tell you some stories that would curl your hair! And so could some of my family members who happen to be police officers. It's a pity people seem to want to live this way.
Just thought I'd explain myself.
BTW, on a lighter note - can't wait to get a 18 century khukuri!

:
My nice shotgun is a Mossberg 500, but it's still set up for civlian use.
My old beater is also a Mossberg, but it's in 20 Ga. and has been cad plated and is on an old military stock, bolt action.
I should have fixed it years ago when the parts were less than $5.00 for the clip and the mechanism to hold it in.
I tried it out the 1st time I tried this by tieing it to a tree and using a long string to pull the trigger, cut a shell almost 1/2 in two right between the wads. I shot many a round through it like that. The whole end of the shell would exit the barrel and hold it together until it hit its target. Then it tore the hell outta things!!!
biggrin.gif

And like my elder brother I am knife rich and gun poor. I think the day is gone that I figured if I had a knife I could get myself a gun.
smile.gif

Con you will love the 18th Century!!! It's one of my very favorite khukuris!!!
Of course everything has taken a backseat to my YCS, but I don't have a Baby GRS yet.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other."

~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Dalai Lama ~~~~~~~

Khukuris and guns;
Khukuris and bows;
Khukuris and swords;
khukuris and science fiction;

Bill, I think it's time to put the customer profile back up again.

P.S.: include gentlemanly conduct and courtesy, and a warm heart in the forumite/ customer attributes.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 01-18-2001).]

Con, I wasn't trying to offend, just point out the need to use one's head as well as one's weapons. Avoidance is the first choice, confrontation the last. I'm sure you will handle any confrontation well, as you have training and have thought things out ahead of time. I would suggest slugs rather than buckshot. They are devastating at any range.

Conajohara,

It is pretty quiet here in Canada. If I were you I would forget about the shotgun (except for dismounts) and get a Bradley fighting vechicle complete with canon and MG.

I don't have a Savage M24 or Springfield Armory Scout. I recently looked at getting one of each. There may be something between the khukuri and M24 connection.

Will

Science fiction too Rusty?

I've been a 'buff since I was a kid.
It's hard to find the time these days, but when I do I love a good Larry Niven, Tim Powers, Stephen Baxter, Peter F. Hamilton or some old classics like Bradbury, Asimov or Hubbard.

Sci Fi? It's funny that you mentioned Niven first. He's one of my old time favorites. Ringworld and the Ringworld Engineers are classics. I have all the Man-Kzin War series. N-Space has some good stories. Then there are The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand. Superb.

Lately I've been working my way through Kim Robinson's Mars series (Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars). I have been pleasantly surprised that I like book two (Green Mars) even more than book one.

I've also read most of what David Brin has written. I just got around to finally reading The Postman and it was much better than I expected.

I also like Greg Bear. I consider The Forge of God to be in a class of its own. And its sequel is good as well.

The one sure thing around my house as far as books is that every year I will buy the Gardner Dozois "The Year's Best Science Fiction" book. It is a collection of the years best short stories and I'm always discovering new talent.

And let's not forget all the great classics of the 50's and 60's. They are really too numerous to mention here but there were a lot of them.

Can't stop without mentioning Dune. Where did that come from? It was as groundbreaking in its time as The Lord of the Rings. I reread it once a year or so (Dune and Tolkien actually!).

Gregg

:
Ahhh Yes!! Sci-Fi, the words of worlds dreamed or imagined by those people who always asks, "What if?"

I started on science fiction when I was about 12 in 19 hundred and 52.
There was a used book shop right beside our trailer house in Everett Washington, not too far from the Sound.
smile.gif
Damn I loved those sunsets and the smells that only saltwater can invoke!!!
Anyway the used book shop's owner was somewhat a sci-fi fan and since I was a young boy that loved to read he found a very willing mind that was easiy introduced or seduced by such stories as "The Ship of Ishtar"
in the old pulp mags of the time.
That story came out in serial form and I have always regreted not being able to finish the story. And for many years after I wouldn't read serials unless I had the complete story in all the editions because of that experience.
Perhaps one day I will run across it once again although I have waited almost 50 years to do so and it ain't happened yet.
frown.gif

Those old pulps had some of the best sci-fi ever written IMO.
Mom used to try to discourage me from reading such far out tales and in later life before mom walked west I would tease her about those "far out stories" and tell her that the things I read about then were some of the things that made our lives easier and more enertaining, such as it was with television being one of them. Anyone remember "Tightrope" or "I led Three Lives", Alfred Hitchcock presents" and "I Spy"? almost as good as some of the old radio stories.
smile.gif

I grew up in the genre of the likes of C.S.Lewis and then Bradbury and others that over time and life and way to many moves across country I have forgotten.
My absolute favorite writers were/are Heinlein & Asimov. Spider Robinson IMO had much of Heinlein's influence rub off on him and he's one of the ones I look for now when I get the urge for some escapement.
I read few magazines any more, but the one I have kept up now for many years is Analog,Science Fiction & Fact. Occasionally I will find one of the "fact" articles that I can actually understand.
smile.gif

An interesting bit of trivia about sci-fi's predictions I read about years ago is that the waterbed wasn't able to be patented due to one of Robert Heinlein's stories, I believe it was, describeing one and that put the waterbed in the public domain.
Seems like I read the story long ago and it was or had something to do with burn patients and waterbeds to keep the patient cool and without pressure points, but alas I don't remember exactly.
One nice thing about aging and loseing memory is that the good parts of life get better and the bad parts when remembered at all don't seem as bad or hurtful as they might have been at the time, so it's not all bad.
smile.gif

And Bro Rusty, you're exactly right about the relationships of khukuris
and science fiction along with the other things.
Perhaps the bent blades are meant to be for bent personalities?

------------------
>>>>---Yvsa---->®

"Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other."

~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Dalai Lama ~~~~~~~

It gets weirder...

lurking among us forumites is a nameless sci-fi/fantasy writer! The rest is too shameful to tell in the open forum. I'll send you the incriminating evidence directly by email Roger. Oh, the shame of it all.

biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

And bro, Heinlein is the giant in my mind, though Captain John Carter of Virginia/ Barsoom ( Burroughs ) and Asimov and interestingly Spider Robinson...

Astoundingly close taste.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 01-20-2001).]

Wow!

Yvsa,.....Everett Washington??????
I've been all around those parts and my brother still lives there. The sunsets are still brilliant and the sound smells the same, there's just a helluva lot more people enjoying it!! You ever go to any of the tribal salmon "cookouts" around these parts?
Whenever relatives come in from "back east", we take them on the boat over to Blake Island to Tillicum Village for the tribal ceremonies and the great salmon cooked "Indian style" over open flames. YUM!!
I want some NOW!!!!

Spider Robinson. David Brin. More good stuff.
I also like the Berserker series by Saberhagen. John Steakley's Armor. Keith Laumer is a real fave, especially the Retief books...and Jack L. Chalker's sci-fi stuff.

AND....I'm a HUGE Terry Pratchett fan..big time.

Funny how these threads can take off in another direction, just like that!!

[This message has been edited by rdnzl (edited 01-20-2001).]

Back